Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler turbine car

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Chrysler turbine car

Very neat

Feedback Score
    Those were way cool. Conceptually. From what I hear they were loud, slow off the line, and got crappy mileage. I had thought Chrysler crushed them all until recent stories about them.

In modern use, I would think a small GTC engine harnessed to run a generator could be of potential in a hybrid type application. I think it would be damned viable for locomotive power trains as well.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    From what I hear they were loud, slow off the line, and got crappy mileage.
    I think they were low maintenance which I have read is the case with jet turbine aircraft which was/is considered to occasionally be a positive attribute over increased fuel use.

If that is correct, I would assume that would have been something of a plus for the Chrysler for a few years with cheap gas until the 70's kicked in.

I think that particular loud would have been cool at least for awhile.

Feedback Score
    Definitely longer maintenance intervals, longer life, less moving parts, etc. That's one of the upsides for turboprop aircraft.

I would love to see one of those Chryslers run in person. Maybe drive one. But with 3 operational in the world, I've got a better chance of hitting the powerball.

I'm not sure if one could be made to be practical today or not. Lots of improvement in gtc and turboshaft engines.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Union Pacific Railroad had GTELs which were gas driven turbines. They used twice as much fuel compared to same horsepower diesel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_GTELs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ford built a prototype turbine semi in 1964.. https://www.thedrive.com/news/37925/...st-for-decades

Feedback Score
    As stated above Union Pacific RR bought a bunch of turbine powered train engines in the 50/60’s. They were loud, like break window glass loud. They also had to put heat shields on overpass’s so they didn’t melt the asphalt. They were 5000-8500 HP and could pull the world but they were very big fuel hogs as idle and low speed and train engines especially freight engines spend a lot of time at low speeds. They lasted till the 70’s.

I also read recently about a Ford semi they built with a turbine engine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Saw one at the Petersen museum in LA. It was pretty cool.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Sounds like an APU, I'll pass. I'm not going to lie, I want a flashing red light in my door when its open now, and that trunk lid, wow!

I have always loved the turbine car look more than the idea of the powerplant inside. Chrysler could have damped down the styling jut a smidge and built the coolest (413 powered) 300 car ever.

Andy

Feedback Score
    The Granatelli STP turbine powered Indy car was pretty spectacular too. It rolled out in the late 60s and made a good splash at Indy, but no turbine car ever won there.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/a1...bine-indy-car/
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast