Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is .45 Obsolete (Mas Ayoob)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I want to preface this by saying he's an invaluable source for legal info, but he really jumped the shark on this one.

He's literally saying the .45 is half as efficient and extolling that as a virtue. By that reasoning, you could argue a single shot .50 cal is better still. All 1500 grains injected in a single shot!
    It is the same old argument that sold how many copies of gun mags back in the `70, `80's, & `90's.

"which is better, 9mm or .45 auto?"

It is the same supposed argument as ".308 or 30.06, which is better?"

after all these years the answer appears to be........neither. Any or all of them will do the job, moreso than anything it depends on the person utilizing any of them.

About the only difference being larger cartridge capacity gives an individual more chances to get the job done before having to reload and that can make a difference depending on the situation.

Feedback Score
    Perhaps Mr Ayoob is merely trying to stay relevant ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I want to preface this by saying he's an invaluable source for legal info, but he really jumped the shark on this one.

He's literally saying the .45 is half as efficient and extolling that as a virtue. By that reasoning, you could argue a single shot .50 cal is better still. All 1500 grains injected in a single shot!
    While he is regarded as a legal expert, I’ve read many legal statements from him that leave me scratching my head…and even tried to find real-world examples of the positions he took with no avail. He’s the ultimate “Boomer stereotype” it sometimes would seem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    While he is regarded as a legal expert, I’ve read many legal statements from him that leave me scratching my head…and even tried to find real-world examples of the positions he took with no avail. He’s the ultimate “Boomer stereotype” it sometimes would seem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's probably true, but he gives some excellent advice, and puts it in terms that non legal people can understand. I think anyone who carries should watch all his presentations on youtube.

Feedback Score
    If it was the same sized gun I'd take the .45 easily. But if it was the bestest CCW .45 vs 9mm I'm gonna have to go 9mm. The size of the package, controllability, and capacity make that decision for me. Using a heavy-for-caliber 147gr such as HST seals the deal. With the spate of rioting last summer still fresh in my mind, I have been re-examining the capacity issue with CCW choices. A Glock 43X with Shield Arms 15rd mags is hard to beat.

The .45 ACP is far from obsolete. However, the intended use and all that it entails relegates it (to me anyway) to a duty-size platform.

As always, YMMV.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As a suppressor caliber, it won’t die anytime soon…

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    If it was the same sized gun I'd take the .45 easily. But if it was the bestest CCW .45 vs 9mm I'm gonna have to go 9mm. The size of the package, controllability, and capacity make that decision for me. Using a heavy-for-caliber 147gr such as HST seals the deal. With the spate of rioting last summer still fresh in my mind, I have been re-examining the capacity issue with CCW choices. A Glock 43X with Shield Arms 15rd mags is hard to beat.

The .45 ACP is far from obsolete. However, the intended use and all that it entails relegates it (to me anyway) to a duty-size platform.

As always, YMMV.
    You can load a Glock 30S with hard-cast 155-grain lead semi-wadcutters either slow or fast. You'll get 11 rounds of .45 vice 16 x 9mm heavies. Same size pistola as a G19.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    45acp is America’s caliber. It will never be obsolete.
    It’s easier to carry a small 9mm handgun with the same or greater capacity (nowadays, capacity is even more important), but 45acp is not obsolete.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Shoot my G21, then shoot my G17. Tell me which one lets you put more shots on target in a shorter time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    As a suppressor caliber, it won’t die anytime soon…
    I don't know, I used to think that, but it's hard to argue with 9mm subs. When you drop below supersonic it really limits range, and a heavy 9mm can definitely get the job done inside that effective range. Granted the .45 will have more energy at a greater range, but you would really be lobbing them in there mortar style at that point.

And inside that 50 meter effective range of subs from a pistol, I would go out on a limb and guess that 9mm is probably going to penetrate just as far as .45, and maybe even have less tendency to deflect given its tighter cross section.

This thread got me thinking last night that it would be really cool to have a bolt action integral .45 like the de lisle, but then it struck me that we have .300 blackout for that now.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast