Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock Island Armory 1911's

Feedback Score

Rock Island Armory 1911's

The local store has a couple of these in the case. Looked them over and they seem well made and finished. I'm not a 1911 guy, but these seem to be budget/entry level 1911's. How's their overall quality?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    The local store has a couple of these in the case. Looked them over and they seem well made and finished. I'm not a 1911 guy, but these seem to be budget/entry level 1911's. How's their overall quality?
    IME; "inconsistent".
    Have seen ones that wouldn't run out of the box, and some that chugged along. QC seems poor.
    I do believe their CS is responsive.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Pretty sure the Filipino kid that drilled / rifled the barrel in mine used a rock he had attached to the end of a stick somehow. Only thing I can think of that might explain how bad the thing collects copper fouling compared to every other pistol I have ever had.

Joking about the rock and stick but not the fouling. It collects and holds shit that good barrels do not with far fewer rounds being fired. It shoots ok but good lord it has got to be rough as a cob inside for copper to build up so fast and stick that bad.

Only other downside (that I read about) is that the slides are not hardened to the same extent that many other mfg's harden their slides. The guys at 460Rowland have a list of guns that are 'suitable' for conversion (known to have slides hard enough to take the increased pressure and actually last). Nothing RIA will be found on that list. Not a big deal if shooting the ammo it was built for (45 ACP is fairly low pressure ammo) but perhaps not a good candidate for trying to build into something that will be eating a steady diet of hotter ammo.

For the price I am ok with the RIA being limited to regular 45 ACP ammo.

IIRC when I bought mine there was a rebate or something going on and I gave about $450 after all was said and done. ($550 out the door then a $100 rebate later)

I like the grips, the magwell, the trigger is plastic but has a very good 'feel' to it and is light. If you can forget about it being plastic - That trigger is nice.

Like the FLGR but smooth it is not. Machined with same rock that rifling was cut with perhaps?

No regrets with my purchase considering the price. It runs fine with the ammo it was intended to run with. Would never expect to see the same level of craftsmanship on a sub 500 gun as one would expect on something that cost 2 to 3 times as much...

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

I keep one as a "truck gun." Mine's (FS Ultra) run fine, with acceptable accuracy on hardball, Golden Saber JHPs, El Dorado Starefires, and Fedral Hydra-Shok. Likes CMC, Mec-Gar and Wilson mags. Perfect beater, and if it gets lost/stolen, I won't be HAPPY... but it beats losing one of my S-A's or Kimbers!

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Perfect beater, and if it gets lost/stolen, I won't be HAPPY... but it beats losing one of my S-A's or Kimbers!
    Pretty much sums up how I feel about mine as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My opinion: buy it and leave it as is for a shooter. Don't buy if you plan to customize it to your taste.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Had one of their 2011(?) more modern Ultra types (full rail under the barrel) in 9mm and it was great. Bought a ‘no frills’ GI model, also in 9mm, as for 300 bucks I could just not pass it up … and I like it better than the other one! Chugs away, never had a FtF or hiccup.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    My opinion: buy it and leave it as is for a shooter. Don't buy if you plan to customize it to your taste.
    Hi,
    ^^^THIS!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My GI version has run flawlessly since I purchased it (Cheap). No complaints at all.

Feedback Score
    Hi,
    I've had a couple and after a trigger job, using the original parts is a good shooter.

As was stated, would NOT use it as a "base gun" to throw more money at.

I just saw a new Auto Ordnance, that looked nice ($600) they were acquired by KAHR and their quality has gone WAY up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast