Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock Island Armory 1911's

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Shit!
    I guess I’m the guy who threw too much money into a RIA GI!
    I had no Idea about the slide hardness, not being ideal for a build. (Slaps head)

Well, I found this thread way too late!
    I bought my GI really cheap, due to a trashed barrel.
    Long story short, fiber optic sights, ED Brown barrel, Caspian trigger, Wilson Combat BP safety, WC bp slide stop, WC bp hammer, WC bp grip safety, WC bp sear spring, WC compensator, WC 2 piece full sized guide rod, all personally hand fit, and I polished, and modified the sear angle.
    It is a real pleasure to shoot, very accurate, and handles real good....but now this whole slide hardness issue has me kind of worried.
    Last edited by camoman; 08-18-21 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    I've had a couple and after a trigger job, using the original parts is a good shooter.

As was stated, would NOT use it as a "base gun" to throw more money at.

I just saw a new Auto Ordnance, that looked nice ($600) they were acquired by KAHR and their quality has gone WAY up!
    I own an Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine and it took a great deal of money and effort to get it to work reliably. If the quality of the 1911 is comparable, I would not buy one.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    Shit!
    I guess I’m the guy who threw too much money into a RIA GI!
    I had no Idea about the slide hardness, not being ideal for a build. (Slaps head)
    Not hard enough to make the list as a suitable 460 Rowland platform. Think 35k+ PSI instead of 20k

Should still be plenty hard enough to last a very, very long time shooting 45ACP.

Looking at your list - Damn... You threw a lot of money into that RIA!

How was the factory barrel trashed? Shot out or damaged some other way?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Not hard enough to make the list as a suitable 460 Rowland platform. Think 35k+ PSI instead of 20k

Should still be plenty hard enough to last a very, very long time shooting 45ACP.

Looking at your list - Damn... You threw a lot of money into that RIA!

How was the factory barrel trashed? Shot out or damaged some other way?
    I think it was a squib round, and then a follow up.
    There is a nice, very noticeable ring in the rifling, about mid barrel.

And, yes I did throw a whole bunch into it...but man, she is sweet! And shoots better then any other pistol I’ve ever owned.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Last edited by camoman; 08-23-21 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    @camoman

That is damn nice...

Absolutely love comped 1911's. You got me wanting that barrel for mine now. Thanks a bunch.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    @camoman

That is damn nice...

Absolutely love comped 1911's. You got me wanting that barrel for mine now. Thanks a bunch.
    Thanks man! This is the first 1911 I’ve ever customized.
    I was actually really intimidated, hand fitting all of these parts, but I think it turned out fantastic.
    I’m itching to build one from the ground up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    Thanks man! This is the first 1911 I’ve ever customized.
    I was actually really intimidated, hand fitting all of these parts, but I think it turned out fantastic.
    I’m itching to build one from the ground up.
    Think the barrel upgrade was wise money spent on your part. Stinks that the old barrel was toast before you could shoot it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I still own an older Rock Island Armory 1911 chambered in 9mm. It's the old billboard model. I installed a made to order barrel bushing from Evolution Gun Works (EGW) and it shoots much more accurately than my Springfield Armory Range Officer model with target sights.

If you plan on shooting hollow point ammunition, 9mm or 45 ACP, buy the RIA 1911 with ramped barrel.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Think the barrel upgrade was wise money spent on your part. Stinks that the old barrel was toast before you could shoot it.
    Yeah, it sucks. But in hindsight, now I have a match grade barrel, that most likely locks up tighter, then the original ever did. All I know is she is a very accurate machine, that seems to also be very reliable. I am very satisfied.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast