Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ejector Tension

Feedback Score

Ejector Tension

Is there a definitive way to measure ejector tension? Or do you just measure the ejector spring?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Measuring the spring is a relative pita even with a jig to hold the ejector in place while you drive out the roll pin. I mean, it's not like pulling an action spring to measure free length.. The last time I had a carbine that was having intermittent ejection issues I pulled the bolt and hooked a cartridge rim on the extractor claw and levered it down flush. I could tell right away, by feel, that the spring was weaker than what I was expecting and replaced it.

I suppose you could use a trigger pull gauge using the technique above on a new spring (installed) and then check it against other bolts. Yep, not definitive by any stretch, but I've never known any other way. Perhaps the knowledge base here will enlighten us.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Flick test. Remove the BCG from the rifle. Insert the rim of an empty case under the extractor and with your finger on the mouth of the case, compress the ejector. Then, flick your finger back and let the empty go flying. It should go about ten or twelve feet.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Flick test. Remove the BCG from the rifle. Insert the rim of an empty case under the extractor and with your finger on the mouth of the case, compress the ejector. Then, flick your finger back and let the empty go flying. It should go about ten or twelve feet.
    Nice. Been wondering how.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I just use a pin punch to push the ejector into the bolt, if it feels like mush is needs to be replaced.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I just use a pin punch to push the ejector into the bolt, if it feels like mush is needs to be replaced.
    Pretty much this, it should be a bi*ch it push in with just your fingers combined that with seeing where your brass lands should tell you if your spring has gone bad.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I little tidbit to accomplish two task with one act. After cleaning the bolt, place a drop of your favorite monkey jizz on the ejector and press the ejector in(I like to use the cam pin) 3-4 times to test the tension and get lube into the ejector pocket.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    The force required to push the ejector flush to the breech face should be 9.9 pounds . . .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    The force required to push the ejector flush to the breech face should be 9.9 pounds . . .
    What is the method for checking that?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What is the method for checking that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast