Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Impulse bought a 10.5 inch pistol...now what?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info guys. To me a 14.5 inch gun is short, so a 10.5 seems really short. And perhaps I’ve read too much about short gas systems being temperamental. But I can definitely see the utility. Once I get some trigger time I’d like to build it out in to a serious use gun—I can see a lot of situations where an AR platform can do things the 9mm or .45 I typically have can’t.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. To me a 14.5 inch gun is short, so a 10.5 seems really short. And perhaps I’ve read too much about short gas systems being temperamental. But I can definitely see the utility. Once I get some trigger time I’d like to build it out in to a serious use gun—I can see a lot of situations where an AR platform can do things the 9mm or .45 I typically have can’t.
    Mod on another gun forum I visit, did a long thread on running his 10.5 at 500 yards. Of course he has glass on it. I own a number of them, & My 7.5" was a GREAT "take along for patrolling a mothballed power plant, I did security for". I had to ride in a John Deere 4 wheeler, day & night, covering about 1,800 acres. Tested it out, while there, & even with "Iron's", no issues on 100 yard shot's. Added a red dot, when I finished the job, & now it's my "bedside PDW". I "LOVE AR Pistol's"!!
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know I'm late replying, but pistols are handy. I'd never sell it unless you need the cash.
    Just build 1 AR & your gonna wanna build another. As far as buffers, I tried a H 3.7oz & a standard carbine 3oz, brass ejection was same & brass fell within 7 feet. A H2 may make more difference but it's more about the gas port in your barrel. A heavier buffer is not necessary.
    Hope you held onto you 10.5
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBobJoe View Post
    I know I'm late replying, but pistols are handy. I'd never sell it unless you need the cash.
    Just build 1 AR & your gonna wanna build another. As far as buffers, I tried a H 3.7oz & a standard carbine 3oz, brass ejection was same & brass fell within 7 feet. A H2 may make more difference but it's more about the gas port in your barrel. A heavier buffer is not necessary.
    Hope you held onto you 10.5
    Depends on how you define what a heavy buffer is. Although the H stands for “heavy”, H and H2 buffers are lighter than a standard rifle buffer. Maybe an H out H2 buffers isn’t needed for an AR to function, but when using 5.56 spec ammo, an AR (especially a shorty) runs smoother with an H2 buffer than it does with a carbine or H buffer. Even better is an A5H2 or a rifle buffer. [An H3 weighs about as much as an A5H2 or rifle buffer, but I think it’s better to switch to a buffer (and appropriate RE) that uses a rifle spring at that point.]

I know there’s a pie chart showing how an AR is under/over/just right gassed according to election angle, but the pie is a lie. Before common sense kicked in, a friend and I once tried tried tuning an AR with an adjustable gas block by using this pie chart. It was an exercise in futility. What the ejection angle will reveal is the condition of the extractor spring. If you start seeing a change in the ejection angle, the extractor spring is going bad.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    He was asking or talking about his 10.5, I hope he keeps it. I was just telling him he didn't need to focus to heavily on changing out his buffer. I assume it's not a rifle lower so the rifle length buffer won't come into play. My AR's are set up primarily as SD, I do have H1/H buffers they are same weight, 3.7 - 3.8 oz. But, I don't see the need for heavy H3 - H4, or heavier unless your over gassed because of gas port size. You make a great point on ejector springs, there often over looked. I check my ejector spring tension by slowly manually ejecting a live round & watching for the rotation of the ejected live round. It should have good horizontal rotation, if rotation is only a turn or 3 it's getting weak. Should rotate multiple times when ejected slowly if ejector spring is good. As to buffer springs, I do run chrome silicone buffer springs even in my rifle length systems. Thanks for you information, and exchange of thoughts.
    Last edited by JoeBobJoe; 10-07-21 at 17:44.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    He was asking or talking about his 10.5, I hope he keeps it. I was just telling him he didn't need to focus to heavily on changing out his buffer. I assume it's not a rifle lower so the rifle length buffer won't come into play. My AR's are set up primarily as SD, I do have H1/H buffers they are same weight, 3.7 - 3.8 oz. But, I don't see the need for heavy H3 - H4, or heavier unless your over gassed because of gas port size. You make a great point on ejector springs, there often over looked. I check my ejector spring tension by slowly manually ejecting a live round & watching for the rotation of the ejected live round. It should have good horizontal rotation, if rotation is only a turn or 3 it's getting weak. Should rotate multiple times when ejected slowly if ejector spring is good. As to buffer springs, I do run chrome silicone buffer springs even in my rifle length systems. Thanks for you information, and exchange of thoughts.
    I appreciate the technical response. Troy built this gun with what appears to be a carbine buffer, and it seems to work fine in the limited shooting I have had a chance to do. I do appreciate that the 10.5 is a more violent than a 14.5, so I may try an H2 just to see how it handles. I pretty much only shoot NATO spec ammo, so I’m not concerned with being able to run commercial .223. My go to load in this gun will probably be 77 grain OTM, once I can find enough to feel well stocked.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah, I’m aware we’re talking about a shorty. I like shorty ARs.

I know some try to make up for over gassing with a heavier buffer, but that won’t fix the problem.

Ejector condition is very important, but I’m talking about the extractor spring. I’ve found it’s more likely to go bad than the ejector, usually because the wrong spring is used.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got a chance to day to finally give this gun a good work out. Reliability has been perfect running a mix of M193 and M855 Green Tip, probably got this gun up to about 800 rounds total today. I was able to shoot it at distance, and I was surprised how well it did. The brace is isn't ideal, but I could still hit at 250 without too much effort, which is pretty good for my skill with an unmagnified optic. Inside a shoot house there is a noticeable flash from the Troy break, but blast wasn't significantly worse than my 14.5. I need to do a few more tweaks on the setup, but I could see this becoming one of my go to guns for shooting up close. I still prefer the ballistic advantages from the longer barrel, but I can't deny the handiness for practical use.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    10.5" isn't necessarily more violent. The carbine gas system was designed for "commando" ARs with 10.5" or 11.5" barrels. 14.5" barrels have the same gas system with excessive dwell which is why mid-length has become so popular on 16" barrels.

The only thing that would make it more violent is if the gas port was larger.

Adjustable gas is a good tuning tool if you can be consistent with the ammo you shoot, just tune it for enough gas that the BCG goes back far enough to latch open on the BHO on an empty mag and maybe one more click. If you switch to weak steel case or other slower than normal ammo, that setting might be under gassed and short stroke.

Buffer weight is better for fixing problems than tuning. Carrier bounce is the common problem a heavier buffer can fix but it's only a problem with full auto (or maybe bump fire/FRT) so unless your AR is beating itself up, if it runs well leave it alone or try a heavier buffer to see how it changes the feel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't even come close to considering my 8.5" to be "violent", much less anything longer, "altered", etc. After having read through this thread, it's obvious to me the OP should just leave well enough alone and work the weapon now and then.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast