Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Impulse bought a 10.5 inch pistol...now what?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Impulse bought a 10.5 inch pistol...now what?

I couldn’t help myself and dropped a chunk of my tax return on a 10.5 inch Troy pistol, completely with SB3 brace. One of my motivates for buying the complete gun is I’m too indecisive to be a good builder—I’d prefer to get a total package and swap out parts as I need too, rather than figure out what rail/muzzle device/brace etc. I will probably go with an Eotech for an optic, unless I find a Memorial Day deal on a T2 I can’t pass up.

So, otherwise than muzzle blast and being loud, what should I know? I’ve fired about a magazine through a friends MK18 “clone” and I remember it being noticeably louder than my 14.5 gun, but that was a few years back. I’m personally still a skeptic on the benefits of shorter barrels—but I figure I should have at least one, since everyone else in the AR community seems to love them. And of course I want a pistol now that I’m not sure they’ll be available in the future as easily as they are now. I’m not opposed to SBRing the gun, if I decide I like it and want to make it anything more than a range toy.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    I would want to know the gas port size.

After that, determine the correct buffer and spring combo. At least make sure it’s got a H or H2 buffer.

Make sure the castle nut is properly staked and consider a Sprinco extractor spring.

Optics, muzzle device, and furniture are personal preference.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just run with it. Enjoy it. I assume they knew what they were doing when the built it. If any issues arise, pop smoke. Though it's based only on personal preference, I go with H3s in all my carbines and pistols. With proper hearing protection, noise is no concern; even with my little 8.5" (5.56).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You got a Troy, you did good!

Shoot it and enjoy. I also recommend an H2, I feel it's the sweet spot, especially for shortys.

No reason to SBR. Ever. Don't waste the money.

If you do alot with your guns, not just shooting, but patrolling and/or hiking, and training in general, you'll truly see what's to love.....light and handy. Gotta use it to fully appreciate it!

You'll see.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If shipping goes as advertised I will pick it up this weekend. I’m interested to see what quirks the 10.5 system brings. How well I like shooting with the brace will probably determine if it’s worth doing the SBR thing. I will probably wait on the optic until I can handle it and get a feel for the handling—how it feels will probably drive my choice of sight and mount. I’m definitely leaning Aimpoint, just not sure if I will want a micro or a larger model.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are no quirks. Sounds like you're anticipating differences which simply aren't there. Very little noise difference between it and a 16" carbine. For the average bear, no noticeable difference with the SB3 when shouldered as compared to a carbine collapsible stock.

Feedback Score
    An AR pistol, besides being fun to shoot is also a fairly practical weapon; lightweight, accurate to 100 yds, easy to transport, why not have one? Hell, if you can purchase another one, go for it !

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    You got a Troy, you did good!

Shoot it and enjoy. I also recommend an H2, I feel it's the sweet spot, especially for shortys.

No reason to SBR. Ever. Don't waste the money.

If you do alot with your guns, not just shooting, but patrolling and/or hiking, and training in general, you'll truly see what's to love.....light and handy. Gotta use it to fully appreciate it!

You'll see.....
    I SBR personally. ATF keeps changing the rules on pistol braces not worth it.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I SBR personally. ATF keeps changing the rules on pistol braces not worth it.
    If it matches the stupid rules of Form 4999, then keep it pistol. Or, make it meet rules of 4999. Or, submit form and your money and make it a NFA SBR.

Will fed be frequenting gun ranges looking for people with AR pistols and seeing how they use them? Maybe.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    If it matches the stupid rules of Form 4999, then keep it pistol. Or, make it meet rules of 4999. Or, submit form and your money and make it a NFA SBR.

Will fed be frequenting gun ranges looking for people with AR pistols and seeing how they use them? Maybe.
    Or just SBR it.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast