Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Impulse bought a 10.5 inch pistol...now what?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Impulse bought a 10.5 inch pistol...now what?

I couldn’t help myself and dropped a chunk of my tax return on a 10.5 inch Troy pistol, completely with SB3 brace. One of my motivates for buying the complete gun is I’m too indecisive to be a good builder—I’d prefer to get a total package and swap out parts as I need too, rather than figure out what rail/muzzle device/brace etc. I will probably go with an Eotech for an optic, unless I find a Memorial Day deal on a T2 I can’t pass up.

So, otherwise than muzzle blast and being loud, what should I know? I’ve fired about a magazine through a friends MK18 “clone” and I remember it being noticeably louder than my 14.5 gun, but that was a few years back. I’m personally still a skeptic on the benefits of shorter barrels—but I figure I should have at least one, since everyone else in the AR community seems to love them. And of course I want a pistol now that I’m not sure they’ll be available in the future as easily as they are now. I’m not opposed to SBRing the gun, if I decide I like it and want to make it anything more than a range toy.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    I would want to know the gas port size.

After that, determine the correct buffer and spring combo. At least make sure it’s got a H or H2 buffer.

Make sure the castle nut is properly staked and consider a Sprinco extractor spring.

Optics, muzzle device, and furniture are personal preference.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just run with it. Enjoy it. I assume they knew what they were doing when the built it. If any issues arise, pop smoke. Though it's based only on personal preference, I go with H3s in all my carbines and pistols. With proper hearing protection, noise is no concern; even with my little 8.5" (5.56).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You got a Troy, you did good!

Shoot it and enjoy. I also recommend an H2, I feel it's the sweet spot, especially for shortys.

No reason to SBR. Ever. Don't waste the money.

If you do alot with your guns, not just shooting, but patrolling and/or hiking, and training in general, you'll truly see what's to love.....light and handy. Gotta use it to fully appreciate it!

You'll see.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If shipping goes as advertised I will pick it up this weekend. I’m interested to see what quirks the 10.5 system brings. How well I like shooting with the brace will probably determine if it’s worth doing the SBR thing. I will probably wait on the optic until I can handle it and get a feel for the handling—how it feels will probably drive my choice of sight and mount. I’m definitely leaning Aimpoint, just not sure if I will want a micro or a larger model.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are no quirks. Sounds like you're anticipating differences which simply aren't there. Very little noise difference between it and a 16" carbine. For the average bear, no noticeable difference with the SB3 when shouldered as compared to a carbine collapsible stock.

Feedback Score
    An AR pistol, besides being fun to shoot is also a fairly practical weapon; lightweight, accurate to 100 yds, easy to transport, why not have one? Hell, if you can purchase another one, go for it !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They really are handy.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 09-03-22 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I built a PSA 10.5 build kit a few years back. To date it has about 2k rounds on it and is one of my favorite AR's. My current mod list is as follows:

BCM mod 1 comp
    BRT gas tube (not really needed, but hey its crane spec now)
    Expo Arms combat rail 9.5"
    H2 buffer
    Sprinco white buffer spring and sprinco 5 coil extractor spring
    Larue MBT 2s trigger
    P-Mags
    Holosun
    Streamlite

Even with ALL extra parts the gun is still sub $1k, and is my favorite for home defense and camping trips. I keep 64gr gold dots in it year round. I have used this little blaster in a match or two and it got hits at 300 yards no problem. The 400 yard target gave me issues but I think that was more of the weather and terrain messing with me than the raw distance.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    I agree with just putting an optic on it and shooting it. My 11" 7.62x39 pistol is not too bad noise wise, but my 8.5" 5.56 pistol is a loud little sucker. Both very fun to shoot. I built the 7.62x39 upper using a Kak barrel and BCG, but bought (PSA) then modified the 8.5" upper by adding an adjustable GB and adding a Gamma 6 muzzle device.
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 05-29-21 at 16:14.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast