Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Impulse bought a 10.5 inch pistol...now what?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    I don't even come close to considering my 8.5" to be "violent", much less anything longer, "altered", etc. After having read through this thread, it's obvious to me the OP should just leave well enough alone and work the weapon now and then.
    I had preconceived notions about short guns due to some very limited experience when I bought this one. But after shooting it and training a little I realized it’s absolutely good to go as is. I won’t be changing any internals until something breaks.
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    ~SNIP~
    Very little noise difference between it and a 16" carbine.
    ~ SNIP~
    Its interesting - my 11.3" seems ridiculously loud compared to a 14.5 or 16 inch. Perceived, not measured, of course.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Its interesting - my 11.3" seems ridiculously loud compared to a 14.5 or 16 inch. Perceived, not measured, of course.

Andy
    I think it has to be the muzzle device. Part of my trepidation toward the short barrels was MK18s I heard shot in the military that sounded like they would rattle fillings lose they were so loud, unsupressed. But I think those all had Surefire comps on them…
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    I had preconceived notions about short guns due to some very limited experience when I bought this one. But after shooting it and training a little I realized it’s absolutely good to go as is. I won’t be changing any internals until something breaks.
    Cool. Very natural to have those notions. Nothing like a live-fire to extinguish some of those. Hope you get good utility from it.

To AndyLate. Yep, it's interesting how there appears to be inconsistencies with similar set-ups, ammunition, conditions.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

Andy
    Uncorking pressure is higher, and the uncorking happens closer to your ears, so your perception is not lying to you.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm looking at this one to get. Anderson Manufacturing,10.5" AM-15 5.56 Nato Pistol

https://thecastlearms.com/product-de...product_detail
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust devil View Post
    10.5" isn't necessarily more violent. The carbine gas system was designed for "commando" ARs with 10.5" or 11.5" barrels. 14.5" barrels have the same gas system with excessive dwell which is why mid-length has become so popular on 16" barrels.

The only thing that would make it more violent is if the gas port was larger.

Adjustable gas is a good tuning tool if you can be consistent with the ammo you shoot, just tune it for enough gas that the BCG goes back far enough to latch open on the BHO on an empty mag and maybe one more click. If you switch to weak steel case or other slower than normal ammo, that setting might be under gassed and short stroke.

Buffer weight is better for fixing problems than tuning. Carrier bounce is the common problem a heavier buffer can fix but it's only a problem with full auto (or maybe bump fire/FRT) so unless your AR is beating itself up, if it runs well leave it alone or try a heavier buffer to see how it changes the feel.
    Stop giving bad information.
    -Dwell time isn’t what you think it is. Lysander gave the correct definition of dwell time in a recent post. Find it and read it until you understand that a longer dwell time is desirable
    -An under buffered AR is often mistaken for being over gassed (violent)
    -Shooting under powered ammo doesn’t make an AR under gassed. Under powered ammo is under powered
    -Carrier bounce may not impact function in a semi auto, but carrier bounce is caused by a shockwave reflecting back to the carrier. Shockwaves are not good for durability
    -A heavier buffer does not fix over gassing
    -Get out and shoot more
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Picked up a Ruger AR Pistol recently as it was too good a deal not to....just added a Vortex red dot and put my Inforce light on it.
    Should be good to go.
    20200202_195040.jpg
    Last edited by FlashBack; 03-05-22 at 21:44.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got some more rounds downrange today and have it set up so it's 100% functional for me. Current set up is light (M600), sling (Magpul), and optic (Aimpoint Pro)--I may move the light and sling based on experience but it's certainly workable the way I have it. Right now I've got a Surefire on the left side, I am going to experiment using it with the tail cap for awhile. Normally I like a pressure pad on the top rail but because this is small enough to put in a bag I feel like the tailcap has less chance of accidentally getting bumped and draining my batteries. The rail space is a little tight between my sling mount and the light, but the light on the left side also has the benefit of keeping my hand away from the hot end. Speaking of, I also learned that's probably not advisable to shoot this over a pack because the muzzle device will definitely burn a hole after a magazine or two...more lessons.

I have a 100m zero on my dot--I am generally old school with a 25/300m zero on other rifles but the trajectory difference on the short gun was enough that it annoyed me...the 100m zero seems good enough from bad breath distance to 300m, which is really all I need.

small_troy.jpeg
    OEF / OIR / OFS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashBack View Post
    Picked up a Ruger AR Pistol recently as it was too good a deal not to....just added a Vortex red dot and put my Inforce light on it.
    Should be good to go.
    20200202_195040.jpg
    That's the same one I bought 3 years ago. Don't have many rounds through it, 150, but it has worked fine. Like the pistol configuration so much, I bought another one. A PSA 7.5" 300 BO complete upper with a PSA lower build and SB 1913 brace. The 300 BO is more pleasant to shoot, i.e. not as loud. Have Sig Sauer Romeo 5s mounted on both. Thinking about installing a Franklin binary in one of them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast