Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In The Field Defense Multi-Trigger

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    If it’s a BATF approved item, why is it sold as an 80% trigger? In looking at their website, they appear to be filling the inside of the AR15 with M16 hammers, selectors and possibly disconnectors.

I do have a binary trigger installed in a lower, but honestly, it makes more sense to use a trigger with an adjustable overtravel and would no doubt be more reliable as well.

I personally don’t care if people use binary triggers, lots of people like firearms I don’t like. Not my circus and not my monkeys.
    Thanks for not being rude because I want another binary. I had the same concern as you about what parts are being used, so I did a lot of reading the past week. ITF parts compared to a m16 selector are not the same dimensions. The binary disconnector is not the same shape as a semi auto disconnector. This trigger kit only uses a m16 selector from a full auto kit and that’s it, nothing else. The selector is modified (parts of it ground off) for the two disconnectors, semi and binary. The ITF kit does not have an auto sear &/or the auto disconnectors. This kit when firing, cannot go full auto. It’s not physically possible. You simply cannot get this to be full auto. It’s 100% binary all the way in the 3rd position.

It also only uses semi hammers, and that is what it comes with. Reading in another forum, using a bobbed hammer, like the JP Speed hammer with JP red hammer spring and JP yellow trigger spring is an easy way to lower a couple pounds off the as sold 6.5 lbs pull weight.

It also uses a modified semi trigger. A second disconnector spring hole can be drilled into a JSE Adjustable trigger. The JSE adjustable trigger has adjustments for pre travel and overtravel. It yields 2 lbs semi & 3 lbs binary with JP yellow trigger spring and jp yellow hammer spring. It yields 2.5 lbs semi & 3.5 lbs binary with JP yellow trigger spring and jp red hammer spring.
    Last edited by tripntx; 05-25-21 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tripntx View Post
    Reading in another forum, using a bobbed hammer, like the JP Speed hammer with JP red hammer spring and JP yellow trigger spring is an easy way to lower a couple pounds off the as sold 6.5 lbs pull weight.

It also uses a modified semi trigger. A second disconnector spring hole can be drilled into a JSE Adjustable trigger. The JSE adjustable trigger has adjustments for pre travel and overtravel. It yields 2 lbs semi & 3 lbs binary with JP yellow trigger spring and jp yellow hammer spring. It yields 2.5 lbs semi & 3.5 lbs binary with JP yellow trigger spring and jp red hammer spring.
    I'm curious which 9mm platform will give me the tightest double tap group. Have already ordered the ITF trigger.
    A bobbed hammer by itself will not do anything to the pull weight. It will decrease the lock time but that is about all. (It will swing / move faster)

Not familiar with JSE triggers so no comment on them but very familiar with JPE adjustable triggers so will give you my 2 cents worth on those:

Weight ratings with different springs are 'guidelines'. You will need to have the parts installed in YOUR receiver and measure for yourself to know with 100% certainty exactly what your pull weight really is.

Adjustables are really good for learning about proper trigger functioning and timing. (as in how to 'correct' the timing if you adjust the pretravel or overtravel a LOT)

The lighter you go on your hammer spring the more likely you are to have light strikes. (why I stick with the red JP hammer springs or factory Colt hammer springs in everything)

While swapping to a JP speed hammer (bobbed) alone will not do anything for your measured pull weight if everything else remains the same I have noticed about a half lb reduction if swapping either the trigger or hammer to a NiB coated part. (assuming both were phosphate coated Schmid parts to begin with) You could buy a NiB hammer, bob the tail yourself, and swap that in. You will see a reduction in pull weight like that and decrease your lock time but you just lost 'mass' off your hammer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    A bobbed hammer by itself will not do anything to the pull weight. It will decrease the lock time but that is about all. (It will swing / move faster)

Not familiar with JSE triggers so no comment on them but very familiar with JPE adjustable triggers so will give you my 2 cents worth on those:

Weight ratings with different springs are 'guidelines'. You will need to have the parts installed in YOUR receiver and measure for yourself to know with 100% certainty exactly what your pull weight really is.

Adjustables are really good for learning about proper trigger functioning and timing. (as in how to 'correct' the timing if you adjust the pretravel or overtravel a LOT)

The lighter you go on your hammer spring the more likely you are to have light strikes. (why I stick with the red JP hammer springs or factory Colt hammer springs in everything)

While swapping to a JP speed hammer (bobbed) alone will not do anything for your measured pull weight if everything else remains the same I have noticed about a half lb reduction if swapping either the trigger or hammer to a NiB coated part. (assuming both were phosphate coated Schmid parts to begin with) You could buy a NiB hammer, bob the tail yourself, and swap that in. You will see a reduction in pull weight like that and decrease your lock time but you just lost 'mass' off your hammer.
    Your reply was very informative. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Your reply was very informative. Thank you.
    Hope once you get your 9mm AR sorted out you return to share your results with respect to your double tap groups.

No personal experience with them so no idea what they can do with a good trigger.

Feedback Score
    OP, if you want to buy it, buy it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    OP, if you want to buy it, buy it.
    Received in the mail on Saturday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    IMO a gun that discharges when you take your finger off the trigger is dangerous and stupid, and any time whatsoever spent training yourself to hold the trigger down when you want to immediately stop firing is dangerous and stupid.
    I suppose if I was new to firearms it might be an option to learn. However, I've been driving vehicles and shooting firearms for nearly 50 years. Pressing on the far right pedal to accelerate and pressing the trigger to fire are ingrained. The idea of changing my truck to brake when pressing on the gas pedal, and rifle to fire on release of trigger... auto accident and unintentional discharge would be in my immediate future.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-06-21 at 12:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    I suppose if I was new to firearms it might be an option to learn. However, I've been driving vehicles and discharging firearms for nearly 50 years. Pressing on the far right pedal to accelerate and pressing the trigger to fire are ingrained. The idea of changing my truck to brake when pressing on the gas pedal, and rifle to fire on release of trigger... auto accident and unintentional discharge would be in my immediate future.
    I'm not concerned about an accidental discharge, because I never hold the trigger back after firing a round, which means fast double taps are the norm with binary, or being ready to pull the trigger again for a quick follow up shot if normal semi is selected. It really is easy to adapt to if you always quickly release the trigger, and isn't something I'm concerned about.
    Last edited by tripntx; 06-06-21 at 09:16.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You guys know that fire-on-release triggers have been a thing for some time on other guns, right? I’m not saying its useful, because I don’t think it is. However, I feel like the “no way I would be able to not get my pecker caught in the ceiling fan” horse has been pretty well kicked.

I’m just being contrarian. See y’all at the range tonight.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Built the AR9 yesterday.
    Bobbed the hammer, might take some more off, not sure yet. You can see the cut off tail in one pic.
    ITF Defense binary trigger, JP yellow trigger spring, stock hammer spring, tailhook pistol brace, Taccom3G 5.25" barrel and bolt/carrier assembly. Pictured with SilencerCo Osprey 45 suppressor. This will be for double taps, and not mag dumps, otherwise I would run with another can I own.
    Waiting on the Taccom3g delayed blowback captured spring to arrive next week before I try to shoot it.

Bench test yesterday, the binary fire upon release will be much faster than the BFSiii or Echo's I own. ITF trigger releases hammer the moment you think about releasing trigger.

20210605_110538.jpg20210529_132603.jpg
    Last edited by tripntx; 06-06-21 at 09:56.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast