Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrome vs phosphate bolts

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Chrome vs phosphate bolts

I have two complete chrome BCGs, a Microbest and a Daniel Defense that I am going to be using in a couple of Colt uppers.

I also have a few spare Colt phosphate bolts and cam pins.

Would the phosphate bolts and cam pins be a better or worse option in those carriers?

I gotta be honest, the only reason I like the chrome carriers is because I think they look cool with the port door open.

I’m a little bit hesitant to not use a Colt bolt.

Feedback Score
    From a good manufacturer id say there's no real downside to a chromed bolt, in the past they'd have issues with the coating being poorly applied and flaking off, i trust DD as a manufacturer, you could keep the colt as a designated spare for the guns, and unless its a need to go gun replace it when it breaks, if it is a need to go gun then use the DD and shoot a fair amount through it to give yourself a good opinion of it to make sure the wear matched what you expect to see. Also some people like the look of a black bolt in a shiny carrier, I know I do, so thats up to you. I think either way the results would be good, if its an aggressively gassed sbr then maybe go the colt out of the gate, if its pretty much anything else then there's probably not enough of a difference to make a difference.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My one Chrome carrier sucks at holding lube compared to phosphate. The finish is just too slick/smooth. I have another Fail Zero finish carrier that's even worse.

I still run the carriers on range toys, but I definitely prefer phosphate for any serious rifle.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post

I’m a little bit hesitant to not use a Colt bolt.
    Why?

I have moved many cases of ammunition through non colt guns.

I really could care less who makes my gun; as long as it works. I'm the guy who checks that it works. Not 'colt'.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I really could care less who makes my gun; as long as it works. I'm the guy who checks that it works. Not 'colt'.
    A bolt can work until it's doesn't. I've had aftermarket bolts that worked up until they broke.

A bolt group is a super critical component. For someone that doesn't want to research which ones are ok, picking a Colt or BCM is a safe bet.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I kinda get that. I carried a colt for work. I own a BCM.

Honestly the BCM has seen the least amount of rounds and needed the most amount of springs replaced.

All my PSA beaters that get sprinco from jump just run indefinitely. I guess I'm just saying that I have yet to get a part from a "second tier" manufacturer that worked for 200 rounds and didn't last the life cycle of the part. if it works it works, and if it doesn't; thats immediately obvious when you actually take it to the range and put some rounds on it. So I just have some spare BCG's laying around and shoot my Tier 3 guns until they break. And they haven't broken yet. My original PSA from 2013 is still rocking, and that bolt is easily past the '5k' that the internet thinks an AR bolt can do.

If there was any real evidence of tier 1 guns significantly outlasting 'commercial' guns, I would probably be in the group that shoots enough to notice.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    As a practical advantage, chromed bolts are easier to clean and see cracks in. It's a good idea to inspect your bolts regularly if you need it to be reliable, regardless of brand.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My one Chrome carrier sucks at holding lube compared to phosphate. The finish is just too slick/smooth. I have another Fail Zero finish carrier that's even worse.

I still run the carriers on range toys, but I definitely prefer phosphate for any serious rifle.
    And less friction is bad how??? Not to mention less crap sticking to said carrier...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I actually agree with mark on phosphate being an ideal coating; because it really holds onto lube. I have always felt like the phosphate BCG's absorbed some of the lube and then sweat it out when i actually get the gun hot. Whether or not this effect is simply my perception or an actual feature is another matter for debate.

Feedback Score
    I try to use heavier oil/light grease on slick coatings, the phosphate being as porous as it is definitely let's it hold oil better. I think either is fine, but I tend to prefer surface treatments over coatings, since there's not something to flake off, nitride has been good to me, haven't messed with np3/dlc, but everything I've seen says they work fine. The nickel boron bolts I've had haven't been shot much, but they did feel nice.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast