Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Chrome vs phosphate bolts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    You've got to remember that there is a difference between treating the metal like QPQ does, and coating the metal like NP3 or chrome. I understand this is a simplification, but the point still stands, they are two different things.

I would also like to point out that different treatments can work very well for different applications. Chrome and various other carrier treatments aren't known to have issues, while those same treatments can create issues on the bolt.
    Gotcha, I sorta been looking at them all as a "Coating" not 2 different things, and to be honest I really never thought about any more than that. Now I can start to understand this better. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I actually agree with mark on phosphate being an ideal coating; because it really holds onto lube. I have always felt like the phosphate BCG's absorbed some of the lube and then sweat it out when i actually get the gun hot. Whether or not this effect is simply my perception or an actual feature is another matter for debate.
    I’ve witnessed this effect. It also happens with filthy BCGs regardless of coating type. Seems to happen more with some lubes than others. Looking at the ejection port while being the timer-bearer, it almost looks like the carbon is getting melty or something, even though thats obviously not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Shipping parts from Massachusetts to Los Angles and back, as well as the cost of the proprietary finish was high. Colt suggested that local platers could plate just the critical areas with industrial hard chrome cheaper and faster.
    Reading about some of the decisions Colt (and the gummint) made back in the day reminds me of the average AR buyer that has no idea how they should be made. I like to joke about this when people ask about my 605 clone. I’m certain they knew more than I’m giving them credit for; thats just how it looks to me as an outside observer reading about things older than I. Its amusing in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    How does Melonite or the dozen other names company's use for Melonite hold up?

I have 2 AR's with Chrome linined barrels, they are the 2 Colts that were my Dad's, all my other AR's have Melonite, or a type of Melonite coating on the bore. Some of my B.C.G's have Chrome lining and some don't, I also don't have any Chromed B.C.G's there either Melonite or Phosphate coated.

I have never been in the Military & was never a LEO I am just a dude that loves to shoot cool Firearms, it doesn't matter if the firearm was $125 or $12,000 I like what is cool to me. I do take my family's and myself safety seriously so I do quite a bit of training and I love to take S.D classes. I reckon I have been lucky or whatever but the only problems I have had in classes were either ammo & or mag related, or not enough lube. Like I said I am no ways a expert, & why I try take as many classes as possible, I have dang sure not seen it all so I am asking because I just want to learn.

Thank you..
    If you are asking about melonited barrel useful lifespan, check with Criterion. They are held in high esteem and sell both chromed and nitrided barrels. They have some data on the website, perhaps in the FAQ.

I’ve posted my own anecdotes on this topic in the recent past on this forum. I could probably find those threads and PM you the link, if you like.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-02-21 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    SIONICS Np3 BCG is my lone exception.
    Yep.
    Forward Controls Design would be included in that as well, if more expensive.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’ve been buying phosphate bcgs and sending the cam pin, firing pin, and bolt sans the extractor out to be DLC coated. From what I read, DLC coated phosphate bolts will still retain oil similar to an uncoated phosphate bolt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’ve witnessed this effect. It also happens with filthy BCGs regardless of coating type. Seems to happen more with some lubes than others. Looking at the ejection port while being the timer-bearer, it almost looks like the carbon is getting melty or something, even though thats obviously not happening.

Reading about some of the decisions Colt (and the gummint) made back in the day reminds me of the average AR buyer that has no idea how they should be made. I like to joke about this when people ask about my 605 clone. I’m certain they knew more than I’m giving them credit for; thats just how it looks to me as an outside observer reading about things older than I. Its amusing in retrospect.

If you are asking about melonited barrel useful lifespan, check with Criterion. They are held in high esteem and sell both chromed and nitrided barrels. They have some data on the website, perhaps in the FAQ.

I’ve posted my own anecdotes on this topic in the recent past on this forum. I could probably find those threads and PM you the link, if you like.
    If you don't mind I would appreciate that information you have. I will also check with Criterion.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    NOW you've got me second-guessing my Young National Match (chrome) BCG!!!

And bad reports on them over the years?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Shipping parts from Massachusetts to Los Angles and back, as well as the cost of the proprietary finish was high. Colt suggested that local platers could plate just the critical areas with industrial hard chrome cheaper and faster.
    You have to remember, Armalite was based in Hollywood, so, shipping a batch of bolts, carriers, and a few other parts literally just 9 miles down the road to Los Angeles was no big deal. When Colt took over production, the distance increase a bit.

The one major advantage of a Electrolized bolt has over a phosphated bolt is corrosion resistance. And one of the big contributors to lug failure is a corrosion pit being the initiation point for a fatigue crack.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Got it. So you saw a sample of one.

As far as the grain structure is concerned - That is one of the reasons NiB has a lower coefficient of friction (not a greater one and certainly not 'abrasive'). When there is less metal touching between two surfaces you get - Less friction.
    Yes, a sample of one. That's why I said "seem", it's not definitive by any means.

As for wear:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...OwClZiu3JvrykB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Yes, a sample of one. That's why I said "seem", it's not definitive by any means.

As for wear:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...OwClZiu3JvrykB
    Yes, a sample of one, and some research data that seems to back up the assertion . . . .

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    If you don't mind I would appreciate that information you have. I will also check with Criterion.

Thanks!
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...563&highlight=

You have to remember, Armalite was based in Hollywood, so, shipping a batch of bolts, carriers, and a few other parts literally just 9 miles down the road to Los Angeles was no big deal. When Colt took over production, the distance increase a bit.

The one major advantage of a Electrolized bolt has over a phosphated bolt is corrosion resistance. And one of the big contributors to lug failure is a corrosion pit being the initiation point for a fatigue crack.
    Yes, it just amuses me to apply the retrospect-scope.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast