Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprinting

Feedback Score

Sprinting

Is anyone using sprinting in their workout regimen? I have been reading a lot about the benefits of sprinting for fat loss in addition to increasing metabolism. I wanted to see if anyone here has some direct experience with it, and find out your results? Also, how often can you use sprinting on a weekly basis? Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo308guy View Post
    Is anyone using sprinting in their workout regimen? I have been reading a lot about the benefits of sprinting for fat loss in addition to increasing metabolism. I wanted to see if anyone here has some direct experience with it, and find out your results? Also, how often can you use sprinting on a weekly basis? Thoughts?
    I do it with HIIT, 5 30-seconds all-out, with 30 seconds recovery in between. I do it maybe twice a week. Others may chime in about frequency, but I only do it twice a week to avoid injury. I don't know about sprinting specifically for the benefits aside from building speed in running, but as part of a HIIT routine it does definitely burn fat. By my last 'spring' it's more of a jog, it's crazy about how going all-out gets you anaerobic so quickly.

You can change the duration (20 sec, 30 sec, etc) and the number of 'reps,' and if you are a runner, you can incorporate by doing Fartleks...while running average or tempo pace, pick up speed all-out for a specific amount of time or distance (light pole to light pole, etc.).

It is easy to get injured, especially the hammies and piriformis/hip flexors.

Feedback Score
    HIIT is more beneficial than steady state cardio IMO. It has a larger demand on your muscles and does cause greater fat burning and overall calorie burning. The main benefit is that it can raise your metabolism for up to 24 hrs after the workout where as steady state is just what you burn during. You might burn more calories during a 1 hr steady state cardio workout than a 20 minute HIIT, but over 24hrs the HIIT is going to be better for fat burning.

There are a bunch of different programs you can find online. I use both types of cardio, and like Chuck limit HIIT to 2 days per week to avoid injury and over-training because i do weights and steady state as well
    Last edited by everready73; 05-27-21 at 10:01.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Hiit is the fastest way to get and stay in aerobic condition. Beats long steady state jogging. As you progress increase the sprint distance and reduce the rest distance. I would use a heart rate monitor for the rest period. When my heart rate got down to 100 sprint again. I would use a mile distance to begin, what ever the number of sprint rest periods needed to complete the mile.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    Hiit is the fastest way to get and stay in aerobic condition. Beats long steady state jogging. As you progress increase the sprint distance and reduce the rest distance. I would use a heart rate monitor for the rest period. When my heart rate got down to 100 sprint again. I would use a mile distance to begin, what ever the number of sprint rest periods needed to complete the mile.
    As usual, the answer is "it depends." For general fitness, yes, for sure. For targeted events like long-distance aerobic events, then steady state is better. For me, those distances are in my rear-view mirror, so I am best-bang-for-the-buck and my steady state is < 3 miles and I focus more on strength/conditioning and HIIT.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    There's also SIT vs HIIT to consider BTW:

https://brinkzone.com/got-the-legit-hiit/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    There's also SIT vs HIIT to consider BTW:

https://brinkzone.com/got-the-legit-hiit/
    Will, what do you think of Tabatas (as HIIT)?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Will, what do you think of Tabatas (as HIIT)?
    Tabata would be more SIT than HIIT it appears under current nomenclature and very difficult to do as it is an all out effort for 20s and 10s rest between. If you can survive them and nor not get injured, should be highly productive. Not for beginners clearly.

I think there is more refined HIIT/SIT protocols since Tabata did his early studies.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What about combining the two for time efficiency? Stretch and warm up then do a flat out sprint till you gas out. Then walk it till recovery, jog your 3 miles then do another flat out sprint till you gas at the end of your run?

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    What about combining the two for time efficiency? Stretch and warm up then do a flat out sprint till you gas out. Then walk it till recovery, jog your 3 miles then do another flat out sprint till you gas at the end of your run?
    Leave out the 3 mile jog, just do 10 gassers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast