Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kit for an ICU Doc

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I attended a 2 hour Stop The Bleed class last night at our gun club. The course was free to match directors, board members and any other members who wished to attend.

The instructor had a few items for sale and I purchased a North American Rescue Public Access Bleeding Control kit (80-0466) to supplement my basic vehicle first aid kit. The contents are sealed in a bag that is small enough to hide in the spare tire compartment, console, motorcycle saddlebag, etc. There are enough items in the kit to help control serious bleeding without the kit weighing several pounds.

I understand the concerns of medical professionals rendering aid when not at work due to civil liability, but not rendering aid is not something I would expect most people in their profession to do.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I’m a physician. I came upon a wreck once and had nothing. I felt pretty useless. I made a small kit. The more you know, the more you can get away without.
    I’ll spare a comprehensive list, but think high grade blow out kit plus boo boo kit. Add a stethoscope. Add aspirin, Benadryl to start treatment for MI, allergic emergency which is far more common. I’d consider nitro and epinephrine, albuterol inhaler next but shelf life… You can improvise splints, tourniquets, temporary bandages easily.
    No way I’m not getting involved because of liability concerns. No way I’m sticking around if EMS gets there and can handle it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    An ER nurse I know rendered aid to a gentleman who collapsed at a mall some time ago and was subsequently sued for her efforts.
    Doesn’t sound callous to me.

It doesn’t require much focus to realize how much people suck.

The FSA manifests itself in many ways, this example is simply another tactic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I’m curious about her legal exposure if she’s “treating” or helping those other than family members who are significantly injured. I’m in anesthesia and this crosses my mind constantly being that live in such a litigious society.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    To risk sounding callous and uncaring, I will not render aid to strangers or get involved in any trauma that does not involve family. Harsh? Cruel? Evil sub human monster? Maybe, perhaps but not really. An ER nurse I know rendered aid to a gentleman who collapsed at a mall some time ago and was subsequently sued for her efforts. I'll call 911 for someone or to report an incident but will not get personally involved for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    As an ER doc and former EMT ... I get it, and kind of side with your wife.

IT guys, you don't cruise around town with a few extra pentiums stashed in your truck, do you?

Sometimes work is work, and work isn't home.

And let's be honest, ICU docs are, for the most part, NOT trained in first aid. I'm guessing she's IM residency, ICU fellowship trained? If so, even less likely to know first aid. Where do you hide money from an internist? Under the patient's bandages...

Point is, she's probably exceptional with sick people, but that doesn't translate over to the field. There's no labs, medicines, nurses, radiography, etc, in the field. And finally, she's probably worried about liability. My FAK has dumbed down over the years due to this. Hell, I passed on a sweet airway kit for $60 a few weeks ago, mostly for that reason.
    Thanks everyone for the input. Like I started out with, my main thought was that if something happened to someone in the family, would my wife look back and think “If only I had a …”, kind of like Rmorris lamented- but a lot more personal and impactful. I’m getting a kit like T2C mentioned for each car as a starting point and probably add a few things like Rmoriss mentioned.

Wife is hard-core. I dated another doc that I only found out didn’t like the sight of Blood, which I only found out on our way to see “Pulp Fiction”.

Also found a cool Gerber AR15 tool in my search. Win-win all around…
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    .......I’m getting a kit like T2C mentioned for each car as a starting point and probably add a few things like Rmoriss mentioned.
    Shop around. NARP usually has pretty great deals about once a month. For Father's Day they had a $100 kit half price; they are still filling the orders. MUCH cheaper than I can get with 'insider' pricing. If having a fancy nylon bag doesn't interest you they have kit refills vacuum-sealed cheaper than the full kit.

Also check out Tactical Medical Solutions, Chinook Medical, and Adventure Medical Kits. They are all variations on a theme.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    they have kit refills vacuum-sealed cheaper than the full kit.
    I vote this. The SIRK Gen 2 can be had for ~$80 if you look around and is a solid foundation.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Also check out H&H Medical. They make/distribute the SWAT-T tourniquet. I didn’t love their pre-made kits, but they actually put together a custom kit for me and now it’s a regular stocked item. Good people. I keep one in each car and range bag.

https://buyhandh.com/collections/med...rry-trauma-kit

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    Also check out H&H Medical. They make/distribute the SWAT-T tourniquet. I didn’t love their pre-made kits, but they actually put together a custom kit for me and now it’s a regular stocked item. Good people. I keep one in each car and range bag.

https://buyhandh.com/collections/med...rry-trauma-kit
    While I am sure the SWAT-T tourniquet is OK for many issues, the 'gold standards' are the TQs approved by the Committee for TCCC. Currently they don't have the SWAT-T on the list. I have used it as a compression bandage, a super-tight "ace"-type wrap over a trauma dressing, for which it worked quite well. I would not use it as an occluding tourniquet for appendage trauma.

That said, I have bought from H&H before and they did OK by me as a vendor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Kit for an ICU Doc

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    While I am sure the SWAT-T tourniquet is OK for many issues, the 'gold standards' are the TQs approved by the Committee for TCCC. Currently they don't have the SWAT-T on the list. I have used it as a compression bandage, a super-tight "ace"-type wrap over a trauma dressing, for which it worked quite well. I would not use it as an occluding tourniquet for appendage trauma.

That said, I have bought from H&H before and they did OK by me as a vendor.
    I can’t argue with that. For me, I was looking for a more compact and flexible-in-the-pocket option, and it has the additional uses of stabilizing a splint or just as a compression bandage.

I mentioned the SWAT-T also to give some “cred” to H&H and let the guys here know that they’re a legit business, because most everyone has seen or even owns a SWAT-T.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    I can’t argue with that. For me, I was looking for a more compact and flexible-in-the-pocket option, and it has the additional uses of stabilizing a splint or just as a compression bandage.

I mentioned the SWAT-T also to give some “cred” to H&H and let the guys here know that they’re a legit business, because most everyone has seen or even owns a SWAT-T.
    No doubt. They are a great vendor and have some great products. I like the SWAT-T; like I said, one of the best compression bandages I have ever used.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast