Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kit for an ICU Doc

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't think telling you what is in my kit would be as useful. I'm not a Dr. and most of my kit is centered around first aid and is a combo medical / survival kit for a SHTF scenario.

I could ask my PA daughter and MD son in law what they would put in a vehicle kit, but I'd probably get 50 questions back because they'll both want to over analyze it.

My Kit:

TQ - Surgical scissors (Large & Small) - thin and heavy nitrile gloves - N95 Mask - Burn Free Burn ointment - Liquid bandage - Band aids of various size - tweezers - clot packs - Gauze - Anti-biotics - surgical tape - Advil - Signal Mirror - various small tools, including a mini socket kit - Emergency blankie.

The burn ointment has found the most use of the items in my kit.

I like Chuckster's idea of an EPI but don't have any allergies in my family so it probably isn't worth the bother for me.

Feedback Score
    ABD dressings, saran wrap, foil.
    Chef says what? Patients, not potatoes.

Thanks guys. Good stuff that I hope will move the conversation forward and get her to do it as a ‘Father’s Day present’, and I’ll buy the smoker I want myself.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Chef says what? Patients, not potatoes.

Thanks guys. Good stuff that I hope will move the conversation forward and get her to do it as a ‘Father’s Day present’, and I’ll buy the smoker I want myself.
    ...and those two texts I mentioned. Even if she doesn't 'carry' a band aid, the wilderness med text and EM text will be a paradigm shift in how the professions approach OOH care and treatment; the wilderness med book times a million.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. Was watching one of her med/drama shows with her last night and a guy had a pneumothorax. I got her to engage on doing them (yes) and what she would need to do one. Didn't know that Heimlich had some many claims to fame, though even with out a valve or suction she said just getting the air out can help a lot.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    My wife is an ICU doc, but she maybe carries a spare set of gloves in her car. I’ve pressed her to carry something more than that, but she has been pretty reluctant. I’ve tried to put the fear into her- what if something happens and you could have saved us if you only had X with you. I don’t know what X is. I know docs are medically trained, but with out tools, knowledge is kind of wasted.

Any suggestions for commercially available kits to buy? Just a good trauma kit the right thing? Wife is supposed to be a witch when it comes to intubating.

It’s not like we go off-grid, but when we travel, I bring enough stuff for a mid-range action movie. I just want to cover the other part of contingencies.
    I’m curious about her legal exposure if she’s “treating” or helping those other than family members who are significantly injured. I’m in anesthesia and this crosses my mind constantly being that live in such a litigious society.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    I’m curious about her legal exposure if she’s “treating” or helping those other than family members who are significantly injured. I’m in anesthesia and this crosses my mind constantly being that live in such a litigious society.
    Where are you in NC?

It doesn't matter if you are a ARC First Aid-trained do-gooder or chief of medicine at Prestigious Hospital, if you 'practice' outside of your lane you are at risk. Even the Good Samaritan laws offer very limited protection, and that's for people with no training. I do think the higher up the medical food chain the higher the liability, for sure.

I think the 'reasonable standard' is applied in any situation: what would any other provider reasonably do? Splint a fracture, yes. Sew up open wounds, no. Of course this is my understanding, and I'd love to know what legal beagles would have to say.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Where are you in NC?

It doesn't matter if you are a ARC First Aid-trained do-gooder or chief of medicine at Prestigious Hospital, if you 'practice' outside of your lane you are at risk. Even the Good Samaritan laws offer very limited protection, and that's for people with no training. I do think the higher up the medical food chain the higher the liability, for sure.

I think the 'reasonable standard' is applied in any situation: what would any other provider reasonably do? Splint a fracture, yes. Sew up open wounds, no. Of course this is my understanding, and I'd love to know what legal beagles would have to say.
    Gotcha. Kinda what I was thinking iniqtially but things change. Lol. North Davidson area. Work at The Big House in WS.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky5019 View Post
    Gotcha. Kinda what I was thinking iniqtially but things change. Lol. North Davidson area. Work at The Big House in WS.
    Nice area, I know the hospital. Old buddy is in EM there (I think his wife is still there, too). I am in Big Blue in Durham, clinical nurse educator for trauma education. If you ever get this way give me a shout.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Nice area, I know the hospital. Old buddy is in EM there (I think his wife is still there, too). I am in Big Blue in Durham, clinical nurse educator for trauma education. If you ever get this way give me a shout.
    Small world. Figured you mhh ohh by be there. Copy that. PM me his name and stuff. Been there a while. Probably have run into him. Lol.

Feedback Score
    To risk sounding callous and uncaring, I will not render aid to strangers or get involved in any trauma that does not involve family. Harsh? Cruel? Evil sub human monster? Maybe, perhaps but not really. An ER nurse I know rendered aid to a gentleman who collapsed at a mall some time ago and was subsequently sued for her efforts. I'll call 911 for someone or to report an incident but will not get personally involved for the most part.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast