Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The fully loaded spring debate

Feedback Score

The fully loaded spring debate

Initial story is below. But, after replacing the Mossberg spring with a Wolff spring, installing a new follower, and leaving it fully loaded for about a month, I'm seeing the same problem. When it gets to the last shell, the shell doesn't slide into the elevator, and when I move the pump forward it falls out of the bottom.

Is it possible that there is a defect with the gun? Any ideas?

Thanks again,

JRC

Hello all,

I have a Mossberg 590 that I kept fully loaded with 8 2 3/4" shells for maybe 9 months. About a month ago I bought some #4 buck shells (when I could finally find them) and wanted to replace the 00 that was in the tube. I unloaded the gun but I only saw 7 shells. I looked in the tube and there was still one in there. I racked the gun and nothing happened. Racked again, nothing happened. On the third rack, after I pushed it forward the shell came falling out of the ejection port.
    Hmm. I reloaded and started racking again, the first several shells came out no problem then one was stuck again. After repeated racking they came dropping out of the bottom also.

I disassembled the gun and noticed some buffer grit in the magazine so I cleaned it and reassembled. The same thing happened and after disassembling again, I noticed the spring was like a limp noodle.

It seems to me that keeping it fully loaded definitely caused the spring to weaken.

I ordered several Wolff replacements (as an aside, it was a nightmare trying to get one of their six shot springs in my Shockwave) and after installation everything is working smoothly.

Now, here's my question. Will the Wolff spring do the same thing? I'm hoping that by investing in better springs I can keep the thing fully loaded.

Thoughts?

Thanks all,

JRC
    Last edited by jrcii; 06-06-21 at 12:47. Reason: The problem is back.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    It seems to me that keeping it fully loaded definitely caused the spring to weaken.

I ordered several Wolff replacements (as an aside, it was a nightmare trying to get one of their six shot springs in my Shockwave) and after installation everything is working smoothly.

Now, here's my question. Will the Wolff spring do the same thing? I'm hoping that by investing in better springs I can keep the thing fully loaded.
    Known issue. Normally, work wears springs not compression, but Mossberg springs suck. Replacement with a high quality aftermarket solves the problem.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All springs take a set after being compressed, but sufficient magazine springs will work just fine for MANY years despite this. Mossberg, in an attempt to get an extra shell in the tube, uses an insufficient spring. I mean, just look at the thickness of the wire. I replace mine and polish the follower as soon as I receive them.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello all,

I have a Mossberg 590 that I kept fully loaded with 8 2 3/4" shells for maybe 9 months. About a month ago I bought some #4 buck shells (when I could finally find them) and wanted to replace the 00 that was in the tube. I unloaded the gun but I only saw 7 shells. I looked in the tube and there was still one in there. I racked the gun and nothing happened. Racked again, nothing happened. On the third rack, after I pushed it forward the shell came falling out of the ejection port.
    Hmm. I reloaded and started racking again, the first several shells came out no problem then one was stuck again. After repeated racking they came dropping out of the bottom also.

I disassembled the gun and noticed some buffer grit in the magazine so I cleaned it and reassembled. The same thing happened and after disassembling again, I noticed the spring was like a limp noodle.

Thoughts?

Thanks all,

JRC
    Tip for installing long springs... If the cap doesn't have a hole in it drill one. It could save an eye.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Its always baffled me why shotgunners rarely if ever clean the mag tube. The damn thing gets filthy over use & time.
    And Mossy springs are terrible. On myShockwave Ive got a Wolff extra power and a red NDZ billet aluminum follower. And Im not too lazy to clean the tube after a few outings.
    Reminton buckshot used to be BAD about the crimp opening up when it was hot outside and the guns were hot, and the white buffer material would spill out into the mag & action.
    I never noticed that with any other ammo. But that mess would kinda melt, or get gummy, and would clabber up like a blocked artery.
    A couple Ive cleaned for others, you couldnt believe the mess that came out of those tubes after decades of use.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Tip for installing long springs... If the cap doesn't have a hole in it drill one. It could save an eye.
    I'm stupid. I don't get it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing. What does the hole do to prevent? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    One issue with shotguns that doesn’t crop up with other firearms is that, even with good springs, you can have feeding issues if they are kept loaded for extremely long periods.

Not because of the springs, but because the plastic shot shells can bulge and deform.

Several large departments, where the shotgun was issued as vehicle equipment and just rode around in a rack for months or even years, found this problem when the shotgun was suddenly needed.

I don’t remember the details, it may have been LAPD, but one incident caused them to do an armorer check of all shotguns... and that created a policy change whereby shotguns were assigned to individual officers and inspected more frequently.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-29-21 at 05:46.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Get you a brazing rod (Brass). Put the rod in the magazine tube, thread the spring onto the rod, put the rod through the hole in the cap, compress the spring and thread on the cap. Reverse to take it out.

Feedback Score
    Thank you to everyone for the info.

JRC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast