Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The fully loaded spring debate

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    One issue with shotguns that doesn’t crop up with other firearms is that, even with good springs, you can have feeding issues if they are kept loaded for extremely long periods.

Not because of the springs, but because the plastic shot shells can bulge and deform.

Several large departments, where the shotgun was issued as vehicle equipment and just rode around in a rack for months or even years, found this problem when the shotgun was suddenly needed.

I don’t remember the details, it may have been LAPD, but one incident caused them to do an armorer check of all shotguns... and that created a policy change whereby shotguns were assigned to individual officers and inspected more frequently.
    Seen this personally. A Captain who responded to the Navy Yard active shooter had his issued rifle and shotgun in the car in the vertical racks we used. He told me he handed his shotgun to another officer as they went to enter the building and the officer couldn't get a round to chamber in the shotgun. He brought the shotgun to me later explaining the problem. After removing the compressed spring I had to push the rounds out of the magazine tube as all 5 rounds had mushroomed so much they wouldn't budge under the spring pressure. We had a policy of bringing shotguns to the range every 6 months to shoot up the old ammo. This guy was kind of a buff and was pretty good about bringing his own issued shotgun instead of using the training guns. So within 6 months of bouncing around loaded in the car's vertical rack the Federal tactical we issued bulged. David

Feedback Score
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. It caused me to change some things regarding storage.

Feedback Score
    As the updated post says, it's still happening. I'd love suggestions on what to check. It seems odd to me that the Wolff spring would be damaged after just a month.

JRC

Feedback Score
    Only load 7 rounds in the tube and see if you have feeding issues. Continue to check for reliable feeding after a week and then after 2weeks, 3weeks, 4 weeks, etc.

Loaded the full 8 might just be too much for the spring.

Vangcomp and Wilson Combat use Wolff Gunsprings also so I doubt that the Wolff spring is the issue provided you got the right one.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Would this be the same for lever actions?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I ordered 3 Wolff springs originally so I'm swapping out the one that's been in there for 1 month and I'm shocked with what I'm seeing,

These are the same spring.

JRC
    springs.jpg

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a mossberg 500, it doesn’t get shot much and stays loaded. Still using the factory spring fully loaded does not have this problem. Reading this prompted me to go check it, and zero issues. Has been loaded with the same 00 buck for 3 years, have not shot it since I moved. If it's happening with a new wolf spring, it has to be something else contributing to the failure not just a spring issue.
    Last edited by jstone; 06-06-21 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    I ordered 3 Wolff springs originally so I'm swapping out the one that's been in there for 1 month and I'm shocked with what I'm seeing,

These are the same spring.

JRC
    springs.jpg
    How does the month old spring compare in length to the OEM spring?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    How does the month old spring compare in length to the OEM spring?

Generally, I never throw away anything having to do with my guns, but typically, in this case I did. So, I can't answer how long the Mossberg spring was when it was new or when I replaced it.
    For what it's worth, a new Wolff spring is 28 3/4" and the old one is 24 1/2". 4 1/4 inches shorter after a month.

I'm reading online that these things are supposed to be 40" long which really confuses me.

JRC
    Last edited by jrcii; 06-06-21 at 15:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Generally, I never throw away anything having to do with my guns, but typically, in this case I did. So, I can't answer how long the Mossberg spring was when it was new or when I replaced it.
    For what it's worth, a new Wolff spring is 28 3/4" and the old one is 24 1/2". 4 1/4 inches shorter after a month.

I'm reading online that these things are supposed to be 40" long which really confuses me..

JRC
    Wolff shotgun springs use to come 40” in length to accommodate for different length magazine tubes and extensions.

The rule of thumb is to cut it 8” past your magazine tube.

The newer ones are already cut to your specific shotgun
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast