Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardness of Bi-metal bullets VS Copper clad FMJ video

Feedback Score

Hardness of Bi-metal bullets VS Copper clad FMJ video

Here is a link to a YouTube video that might shine some light on the seemingly never ending argument surrounding Bi-metal russian 223 ammo and premature barrel wear. In the video they actually test and determine the hardness of bi-metal bullets, standard copper clad lead and the hardness of a supposid Mil-spec AR-15 barrel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWwmAMVh8Qs

I felt some who shoot a lot of the Russian 223 loaded with Bi-metal bullets or are considering it, might find it of value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DMTJAGER View Post
    Here is a link to a YouTube video that might shine some light on the seemingly never ending argument surrounding Bi-metal russian 223 ammo and premature barrel wear. In the video they actually test and determine the hardness of bi-metal bullets, standard copper clad lead and the hardness of a supposid Mil-spec AR-15 barrel.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWwmAMVh8Qs

I felt some who shoot a lot of the Russian 223 loaded with Bi-metal bullets or are considering it, might find it of value.
    I did watch that video. Thanks for posting the link.

That led to another video where a guy was using an electron microscope to see if the rifling actually cut through the thin outer part of the jacket material and was contacting the steel part of the jacket (and it was).

Watching the videos reminded me that the cheap, bi-metal ammo is a 'hell no' in any barrels of mine.

Feedback Score
    Watching the videos reminded me that the cheap, bi-metal ammo is a 'hell no' in any barrels of mine.

I know A LOT of guys who do shoot it, I like you will not. Back when 223 Wolf Gold was under $300/1k TYD I did take a bunch of steel cased 556 off a guys hands who bought it for use in his 223 bolt gun and most of the rounds wouldn't chamber in his rifle. He didn't know 556NATO and 223Rem are two different cartridges and I explained that they were and you can shoot 223 out of a 556 chamber and should avoid shooting 556 out of a 223 chamber. I did use a magnet to insure 100% it was loaded with lead core FMJ steel free projectiles. Even then I sold it to another guy at work for a fair price.

As I now have all the tools and parts I need to fix broken or malfunctioning extractors actually 3x more than # of bolts I own, I would if the price was cheap enough shoot steel cased 223 if it were loaded with a 100% lead core FMJ projectile, but prices being what they are and the fact I have a butt load of lead core FMJ bullets to reload on hand to ME live ammo loaded with steel core or bi-metal bullets are just not worth it at cheap prices and definitely NOT at current prices.
    Last edited by DMTJAGER; 05-30-21 at 15:16.

Feedback Score
    I don't buy Russian steel jacket crap anymore either, although every time I think it's gone, I find some more and fire it.

Now I don't have much .308 and got some surplus 7.62x51 for my Armalite AR10's.

Didn't do much research when I bought it.

FNM (Portuguese) headstamp followed by xx-xx. I figure the first number is the year and second is the batch?

It is delinked, staked primers, and I assume Berdan primed. And magnetic. Oops.

I already fired a couple mags, worked fine.

Now I'm not sure I want to fire 40+ year old steel jacketed ammo through my DEF-10's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I don't buy Russian steel jacket crap anymore either, although every time I think it's gone, I find some more and fire it.

Now I don't have much .308 and got some surplus 7.62x51 for my Armalite AR10's.

Didn't do much research when I bought it.

FNM (Portuguese) headstamp followed by xx-xx. I figure the first number is the year and second is the batch?

It is delinked, staked primers, and I assume Berdan primed. And magnetic. Oops.

I already fired a couple mags, worked fine.

Now I'm not sure I want to fire 40+ year old steel jacketed ammo through my DEF-10's.
    Best I can recall, a lot(maybe most) of the 1995-2005 era surplus 7.62×51 had copper plated steel jackets.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Best I can recall, a lot(maybe most) of the 1995-2005 era surplus 7.62×51 had copper plated steel jackets.
    Mine is apparently from 1980. Attracts a magnet.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Mine is apparently from 1980. Attracts a magnet.
    Yeah it was produced in the 70's and 80's. Surprised me, but Hirtenberger produced 7.62×51 that showed up surplus in the late 90's was bimetal.

Not a common issue now, but some lots of Portuguese tended to have quite a few duds. Think 76-3 seems like a problematic lot #.

Feedback Score
    Mine was produce in the 70s, Thanks so much for producing the link .

Feedback Score
    Is the second number a batch number?

I.e. "80-35"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Are the XM-80 7.62 bullets bi-metal. I know they stick to a magnet. We don't normally shoot junky ammo like that, but we've run a few boxes.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast