Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardness of Bi-metal bullets VS Copper clad FMJ video

Feedback Score
    There's a bunch of American made economy ammo using bimetal as well. WCC 94 M80 ball I shot stuck to a magnet as well as some Remington UMC .45 hardball I bought many years ago. The latter was a literal eye popper for the owner of one indoor range I used to shoot at who banned Russian bimetal but was selling the UMC for range fodder.

Feedback Score
    Swiss 7.5mm GP-11 for the K-31 is bi-metal using a mild steel jacket that is plated. I’ve never read any reports of premature bore wear or poor accuracy from that combo (rifle and ammo).

Perhaps the mild steel jacket isn’t as much of an issue if the plating metal alloy is of very high quality?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How thick is the Swiss plating? The entire jacket on a Gold Dot bullet is electroplated as I understand.

Feedback Score
    Good question, there’s probably someone who has measured the plating thickness but I don’t have an immediate answer.

One other factor is the quality and consistency of the mild steel jacket. I’m going to guess that’s an important component as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12