Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New trigger vs. optic

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well, I suppose I'll be the contrarian. I buy the trigger I want as I am building up the lower.

My standard Lower parts:

- Colt LPK sans trigger or grip
    - HK battle grip with compartment
    - G SSA-E trigger
    - VLTOR A5 Buffer, spring and RE

All of my AR's are of this configuration.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Thanks all for your answers, it has given me much to think about. The upper with optics is no slouch, 16" Colt skinny barrel and Colt BCG mounted to a BCM upper. Aimpoint Comp M4 with Aimpoint 3x magnifier. My GP carbine has 14.5 PW barrel. I like the shorter length of the 14.5 and both have a standard front sight tower which I also like. I'm using a DD A1a rear and the whole set up has a rugged simplicity to it. Today I looked at a SIG Romeo 4T RDS that had a nice reticle and the small size that I want.

I am coming to believe another lower is the way to go and this one will have a better trigger. Not that the ALG one is all that bad but I am making/attempting to make, shots out to 300m. I can do it with the CompM4 and 3X but target identity with irons and my middle age eyes is a little dodgy.
    I think Stick's advice would be good to follow. Get another lower and build it exactly they way you want. My buddy just got a few of those Centurion 2 stage trigger and they are nice. Then optic, sling, light etc. I'd say you're in a good spot because you already have a pretty solid carbine. That give you the ability to do carbine #2 exactly they way you want.

Feedback Score
    Triggers have come down a lot in price. I paid over $250 for a Wilson TTU back in 2014. Now they're $180 or less. LaRue's MBT has come down in price even further to under $100. With the price of ammo these days it's easy to blow through a $100. Why send ammo down range with a trigger ya don't like?

If your intent is to get a quality red dot and trigger but can't afford both to the moment, I'd get the trigger first and use a cheap red dot until you can afford a quality one. The difference between my cheap PA red dot and my Aimpoint isn't much as far as range use. The difference between a GI trigger and my TTU is significant.

Feedback Score
    A good trigger will improve your shooting a lot more than an optic. Just my two cents.

Feedback Score
    Just bite the bullet. Build a good lower with a Larue MBT and buy a quality FFP LPVO & mount. Skip the Chinese and Filipino scopes. Cheap LPVO’s are worse than cheap red dots. Quality LPVO’s trump quality red dots for the purpose you describe. If this is a once in a lifetime purchase, buy something that will last. Get something with a mil based reticle.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 05-31-21 at 21:24.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Optic all day, if you’re trying to see the accuracy of the gun you’re not going to get it with just a red dot. Which ALG trigger is it? The ACT trigger by them is actually pretty good especially with the 4.5 LB spring

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    Optic all day, if you’re trying to see the accuracy of the gun you’re not going to get it with just a red dot. Which ALG trigger is it? The ACT trigger by them is actually pretty good especially with the 4.5 LB spring
    The trigger is the ALG QMS . it does work well. I have the full power spring in it since I use any and all ammo I can get for it. Based on well considered thoughts here and my own thinking I am going for a decent lightweight RDS. Something like a SIG Romeo 4T, Eotech, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    The trigger is the ALG QMS . it does work well. I have the full power spring in it since I use any and all ammo I can get for it. Based on well considered thoughts here and my own thinking I am going for a decent lightweight RDS. Something like a SIG Romeo 4T, Eotech, etc.
    Whenever you get her finished post some pictures, I would like to see what your finished AR looks like.

Feedback Score
    The ALG QMS should be GTG, I’d do an optic first

Feedback Score
    Triggers are so subjective. What works for me, may not work for you. I have a buddy who is a SERT Sniper here in my county. All the rifles he builds for personal use have milspec triggers in them. And trust me, he can out shoot me all day long with his nasty, gritty triggers. In fact the joke is when every any of us get a new rifle or a stock LPK we all donate the triggers to his collection. So find what works for you and stick with it. Internet advice is a good input into your decision making process but shouldn't be the only input.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast