Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any real advantage of an A4 vs an M4?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I attend multiday training events/competitions where you are issued a rack grade weapon from your sending unit (M4, M4A1, M16A2, or M16A4 for rifle). Another shooter who frequents the events and makes the podium at all of them recently had the M16A4 phased out of his units and now shoots an M4A1. When we were shooting the breeze he remarked he preferred the M16A4's recoil impulse over the M4's. Keep in mind some of the stages include multiple shots per target with multiple targets under decreasing time limits, so recoil impulse is noticeable during strings of fire. Those 20" rifles just treat you nice.

I've long enjoyed the simplicity of running a 20" system w/ the Vltor A5. Very smoot impulse, well balanced, and deceptively lightweight if you're used to running carbines with rails, lights, etc. I say go for it!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've lost all interest in anything that isn't a suppressed 10.3/11.5 with a red dot or a 20" with rifle length gas and a magnified optic.

Sure, a 16" carbine or mid length gas may be the new hotness, but I'm partial to that old time religion.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A4 is much better for me than an M4 because I strongly dislike the lack of real estate on a Carbine handguard/rail (assuming both have FSB).

20" is noticeably quieter than a 16/14.5" due to lower pressure at the muzzle and the muzzle being a bit farther from your ear, velocity is a bit higher, and the rifle length gas system makes for a soft shooter.

I built (and then re-built for my brother) a rifle with a 20" light barrel (Faxon Gunner) and a 15" rail. I had forgotten how nicely it handled and shot until I sighted it in for him.

I honestly think a 16" midlength is the better all-purpose AR, but the 20" rifle makes for a nearly perfect "ranch gun" for my brother.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I would definitely buy that upper an make an A4

LGS here (Switzerland) has a new Colt AR-15 A4 and the only reason I refrained from buying it so far is the high price of over $2000

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have three 20” ARs, and when you shoot them, particularly if you *mostly* shoot shorter guns there really is an “Aha” moment when you shoot an AR in the configuration it was originally designed in. Not that carbines are “bad” by any stretch of course, but the full length AR is just a better shooter.
    And honestly while the 20” is considered “dated” I guess now...personally I feel that a full length rifle still has a lot of merit for civilian use, where the extra length isn’t as detrimental as it might be in some scenarios of military use like riding in an armored personnel carrier or clearing passageways on a ship.
    All three of my 20s have either A1 or C7 uppers though (I have two M16A1 clones and a Colt R0719 parts kit on a Brownells A1 lower), but there is a part of me that really wants a A4 style flattop 20” to put an optic on as well.

Feedback Score
    I find the A4 superior to the M4 in everything except length and weight. I do realize that there are times though that shorter length and less weight matter more than extra velocity and a longer sight radius.

I own a Colt Combat Unit carbine, and I find it to be an almost perfect compromise between the A4 and the M4.
    Last edited by CAR; 05-31-21 at 06:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really like my 20 inch Rifle in 6mm ARC, so much so that I am building its twin. Everything else in AR's are 14.5 & 16 inches. I seriously need to do something about that tho......

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAR View Post
    I own a Colt Combat Unit carbine, and I find it to be an almost perfect compromise between the A4 and the M4.
    I don’t have a lot of rounds down my CCU upper, because I always grab the 12.5 or suppressed 11.5 when I head to the range. But...it balances exceptionally well, lighter than my BCM 12.5 Kino. I keep it for crossing the nearby border into Commie-land, but not sure I could bring myself to sell it even if that weren’t the case.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    So here's the thing. I can talk about the sweetness of a 20 inch but ...

Get yourself one, try it out. You'll like it. It's also a great gun to start kids/grandkids out in the AR platform. They just feel better. Mission drives the gear. If your mission is to have a pleasant afternoon of shooting, then the gear you need is a 20 inch rifle gas. Yeah they have a practical side too, but we don't own multiple guns cause we're practical.

Worst case you resell it, but I doubt it. No down side.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I say get it. 20' ARs fun to shoot and having an A4 would be cool addition to anyone's arsenal.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast