Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Any real advantage of an A4 vs an M4?

Feedback Score
    My Colt A4 has a Vltor carbine extension, carbine spring, H2 or H6 buffer, Vltor Modstock, carry handle sights, and KAC rail. With 62 gr CBC it carries downrange very well. I use 6920s mostly, but that A4 is like shooting a Cadillac. When I was younger an A2 was my weapon of choice, I wish I still had one.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My old re-purposed rifle has a Krieger, my primary gun has a Satern (Liberty) that Keith Stephens won as a trophy for winning the President's Hundred.

I flat-topped a rack A4 look-a-like with a Brownells 1-7 M16A1 barrel and a drop-in/ no-gunsmithing Daniel Defense Omega 12.0 rail.

I traded my old pull-off National Match A2 parts for a Criterion barrel with 500 rounds down it. White Oak and Primary Arms have smooth 12-inch M-Lok float tubes for around $135, and you can get BCM full quad-rails from Primary when they go on sale for around $175.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    People who master irons are like kids who get perfect attendance in school. It’s neat and all, and I’m sure your mom is proud of you.

But nobody really cares in later life.

That bottom pic is hotness.

Feedback Score
    I think the A1 is the best 20" configuration. They got it right pretty quickly. The A2 was kind of a goofy setup, largely a target shooting version that tickled the Marine Corps' beans. That said, I have an A3/A4 clone and it is a fun rifle. I'd forgotten how heavy they are though, especially if adding rails and optics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    For some of us - It only took a single 6920 for us to figure out there was better stuff out there to be had...
    6920 is solid. The gold standard. I have an A1 and A4. Solid guns but the 6920 is the go to rifle. Recoil?? It’s a freaking 223/556. What recoil
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 0311INF View Post
    I think the A1 is the best 20" configuration. They got it right pretty quickly. The A2 was kind of a goofy setup, largely a target shooting version that tickled the Marine Corps' beans. That said, I have an A3/A4 clone and it is a fun rifle. I'd forgotten how heavy they are though, especially if adding rails and optics.
    What is goofy about it? It’s has way better sights. It will run circles around an A1 at longer ranges. It’s goofy but yet you have one.. ������. That about narrows it down.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    What is goofy about it? It’s has way better sights. It will run circles around an A1 at longer ranges. It’s goofy but yet you have one.. ������. That about narrows it down.
    Never been shooting both ways, but I assume it is from a practical angle.

Gets hard to ID people out in public(not trying to conceal themselves in anyway) at distances past the A1 short range aperture(which also is maxing out M193 effective range while recognizing an opponent with a .224 hole in them is usually going to be less effective than mint). A red dot has only the one sight setting, but is easier to use than A1/A2 sights within ranges where most can really see what they are shooting at.

Magnified optics with BDC are obviously a game changer on at least getting a hole in the target at extended ranges for most people, eyesight being a factor of course.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-23-21 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    The only people taking advantage of the A2 sights are people shooting at targets. I prefer the A1 sights myself, although the A2 sights are nice.

The A2 barrel profile is goofy as hell. I could see wanting to add a little weight to the A1 barrel profile, but I wouldn’t make the chamber end skinny and the muzzle end heavy. Goofy, retarted what ever you want to call it. The worst barrel profile ever.

The A2 stock was a step backwards as well.
    Last edited by Pikey; 09-23-21 at 10:21.

Feedback Score
    The Canadians preferred the A1 rear sights to the A2 for their C7.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    The only people taking advantage of the A2 sights are people shooting at targets. I prefer the A1 sights myself, although the A2 sights are nice.

The A2 barrel profile is goofy as hell. I could see wanting to add a little weight to the A1 barrel profile, but I wouldn’t make the chamber end skinny and the muzzle end heavy. Goofy, retarted what ever you want to call it. The worst barrel profile ever.

The A2 stock was a step backwards as well.
    If I recall correctly the A2 barrel profile rationale was a legit goof based on the false assumption a barrel straightness gauge stopping around the front sight was caused by bending from bayonet testing when it was actually due to a gas port burr that would build up with copper jacket.

A2 butt is too long for me too.

I like the round forearm better, but the 20" round profile had already been in existence since the late 1960's although guessing those early ones were of A1 material rather than A2 which is more durable like the material switch on the butts proved to be.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 09-24-21 at 07:22.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast