Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geissele is using black oxide on their barrels now

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Geissele is using black oxide on their barrels now

Apparently Geissele has been using black oxide on their barrels for a couple months now. They are telling people to remove their rails and oil the barrels to keep them from rusting.

Charging KAC prices and using black oxide. Discuss.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I strip the barrel of oils, spray paint it, and drive on. I don't purchase things with the intention of the resale. If it functions properly I spray paint it and use it to the end of its service life.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I strip the barrel of oils, spray paint it, and drive on. I don't purchase things with the intention of the resale. If it functions properly I spray paint it and use it to the end of its service life.
    + 1, Same hear.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What’s the point of spray painting everything?

Black oxide/bluing seems like a pretty poor choice for a barrel finish these days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post

A properly prepped paint job is a decent, quick, and inexpensive way to keep things from rusting.

I've been doing the same thing for years

Feedback Score
    Just about all of my long guns have been Duracoated by my buddy. If it's aluminum it gets flat black; if it's steel it gets Colt Gray (a perfect match for parkerizing BTW). The surface is protected and if there is a scratch you can't tell because it's the same color as the underlying finish.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Black oxide/bluing seems like a pretty poor choice for a barrel finish these days.
    Simple rust mitigation. It gets cold enough where I'm at that your equipment sweats when it comes in after a range session. The paint cuts down on how quickly things rust. I may start cerakoting things if I ever make time for it prior to building something, but that's a lot of money for something cosmetic (although it is certainly better than spray paint.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

All my AR's are Camouflaged.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

It's fine for a more traditional rifle on which the barrel can be accessed easily for maintenance. Unacceptable for an AR on which the rail would have to be removed to clean/oil the barrel. I have and use lots of G stuff, but I look at them with skeptical hippo eyes these days after Larue proved that EDM triggers could be sold for a lot less than what a SSA costs.

That said, I'm set up to easily coat parts with molyresin if I so choose. Usually I just leave parkerized/manganese Phosphate barrels alone.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 05-30-21 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    I'll say it. I don't get Geissele. Seems way frigging over priced for what it is. Good rails, amazing triggers (although SSA-E did not pass FBI testing). Guns that cost 2k should do everything else too IE reliability, accuracy, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast