Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for quality helmet. Prefer Made in USA

Feedback Score

Looking for quality helmet. Prefer Made in USA

Budget is around $1k. I’m coming from a Protech Delta 4 mid cut. It did its job and is out of service. The purpose is for LE Patrol use. I would like rails, decent pad system and Velcro on it.

Looking at the Gentex Sentry series. The LE and XP. Anyone know the big difference between the two?

Also maybe the Crye Airframe series.

Fixing to call Safariland/Protech because I’m not seeing any Delta series available anywhere. I’m not necessarily against another Delta 4 or maybe the Delta 5.

Appreciate any helpful comments. Maybe even if a rep or two would chime in.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I have some experience with the Gentex TBH-IIIA, older Ops Core Fast, and Airframe. Of those, the Airframe was definitely the lightest and most comfortable to wear but I couldn’t get it to fit with my Peltors in a way that I liked. I liked how it sat on my head until I put Peltors underneath because it was too low and would ride on top of the ear cups. I didn’t want to put thicker pads in because then would stand off of my head further than I wanted so between that and the overlapping shell making it difficult to arrange pads, I sold it. I also wasn’t a huge fan of how it came with shit pads, no NVG mount, a basic chinstrap, and the rails aren’t useful behind the bend (I wanted to get AMPs and mount them at some point). But, it was definitely the lightest and coolest (temp wise) of the ones I’ve used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    On the Airframe; a friend who was issued them years ago told me they had issues with them deforming from being stored in connex's in the heat. That alone makes me a little hesitant to spend my own money on a lid that would likely live in a trunk. His unit now issues some flavor of Ops Core helmet.

To add to your list, consider the Team Wendy Exfil. It's my SRT helmet and the combination of good pads, Boa chinstrap, and shell geometry has proven to be an extremely comfortable helmet. I'm also a fan of the rail design and the included Wilcox mount is icing on the cake.

Feedback Score
    The XP and the LE appear to have different materials, with the FAST LE being much cheaper and tested to a higher threat level (NIJ Level IIIA rather than just the ACH test), but also much heavier. The difference between the Sentry and FAST appear to be the shape, with the Sentry having more coverage, particularly around the ears, which can make helmet-mounted ear pro more difficult to use. There are also coupon codes floating out there for Ops Core products.

Also look at Galvion (formerly Revision's helmet division, may be able to offer pro deals) and perhaps Team Wendy (they've been bought out by Avon Rubber, if that helps assuage your Team Hillary concerns).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    The XP and the LE appear to have different materials, with the FAST LE being much cheaper and tested to a higher threat level (NIJ Level IIIA rather than just the ACH test), but also much heavier. The difference between the Sentry and FAST appear to be the shape, with the Sentry having more coverage, particularly around the ears, which can make helmet-mounted ear pro more difficult to use. There are also coupon codes floating out there for Ops Core products.

Also look at Galvion (formerly Revision's helmet division, may be able to offer pro deals) and perhaps Team Wendy (they've been bought out by Avon Rubber, if that helps assuage your Team Hillary concerns).
    I was noticing the testing difference between the XP and the LE. I’ll look at Galvion and Team Wendy.

Good info. Appreciate it. It’s been a few years since I’ve done research.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I didn't talk much about it but I was happy with my TBH-IIIA for what I paid. Definitely not the lightest, but rated to a higher threat level than the Airframe and obviously cheaper. I've heard a few guys, I think Chuck Pressburg and Bill Blowers, both say they prefer the Galvion Caiman to Ops Core's Fast SF for comfort. I actually just ordered a FAST SF two hours ago, was tempted by a Caiman on TACSWAP but my organization uses Ops Core so it was just easier to stick with the same brand. I used a Team Wendy ski/bump helmet for a few weeks in FEB and was pleased with that too, though I do prefer Ops Core's occ-dial to the TW boa/cam-fit. The FAST SF I just bought has the worm dial which I have zero experience with so I'll post if I notice anything significant, hopefully it gets here before my jump next Wednesday.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    TBHIIIA is going to be the best value in that price range.

Unless you have neck/spinal medical issues the slight difference in weight shouldn't bother you. If not do more neck bridges and grappling
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    If not do more neck bridges and grappling
    I knew I liked you for a reason.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. Alright gents looks like it’s down to two. And for reasons I cannot post I’ll be sticking with the Protech Delta line. Looks like another Delta 4 or Delta 5. Either one will be outfitted with a Team Wendy suspension system. Delta X is also an option but after meeting with our Safariland/Protech Rep I think it’s out of the running. It’s lighter but is ballistically inferior to the Delta 4. If I were MIL and wearing it for 10-12 hours straight it would definitely be the way to go. But for urban LE work I think I’d rather have the ballistic advantage over weight.

Safariland Rep said they don’t sell many of the Delta 5. It’s usually the 4 or the X.

So, any Delta 5 folks out there? I’m half tempted to try it just because on paper it’s a little lighter and appears to offer similar ballistics.

Feedback Score
    I know OP already said that he was going to stick with Safariland, but for other folks, here is a pretty good budget option, too: https://www.armsunlimited.com/Ops-Co...orefast-sx.htm

Don't let the weight scare you off compared to the FAST LE, the weights listed on the FAST LE page on OpsCore is the shell weight, while the one listed on AU is the system weight; the FAST LE's system weight is essentially the same as the FAST SX.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast