Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling an SBR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Out of state, or going to an individual requires a trust.
    If what you typed is what you meant to say, this is incorrect. Out of state going to and individual or trust requires a transfer to an FFL/SOT who can then transfer to the individual or trust. The seller or buyer can be an individual or trust.

Another thing to keep in mind is the time involved in the transfers. When I did this, the seller to my dealer transfer took five months to get approved. The dealer to me transfer took six months to get approved.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    Is your SBR an AR lower or something else?

If an AR, delist from the NFA registry, and sell to him as a plain old lower. It is the same $200 tax to him whether he does a Form 1 or Form 4. With a Form 1, he can take possession today, and wait for the stamp.
    This it incorrect, and is consistently told about AR SBR's by folks that read to much crap on the internet. Removing the upper off the receiver, the registered piece, only TEMPORARILY changes the status according to the ATF. For example, you put a 16" upper on it to go target shooting, you would not be required to have your Form 1 or 4 present. However, the provision does not provide for changing the status so you can transfer/transport out of state as a Title 1 firearm to any entity. It is the receiver, not the upper.
    Last edited by juliet9; 06-05-21 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If he’s a good enough friend, add him to your trust.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    If what you typed is what you meant to say, this is incorrect. Out of state going to and individual or trust requires a transfer to an FFL/SOT who can then transfer to the individual or trust. The seller or buyer can be an individual or trust.

Another thing to keep in mind is the time involved in the transfers. When I did this, the seller to my dealer transfer took five months to get approved. The dealer to me transfer took six months to get approved.
    Brainfart. Meant to type FFL/SOT, fixed.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    If he’s a good enough friend, add him to your trust.
    The thought has crossed my mind as he is. Not sure exactly on how housing the sbr would work at his house.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you form 1 it it presumably has your info engraved on it, or your trusts? Does that have to be removed or altered? Does it transfer with you listed as the manufacturer?

Honestly the lower sounds like nothing special. Its a form 1 colt. Trying to transfer it sounds like a hassle.

Ultimately he wants the parts. So I propose you strip your lower and sell him all the parts. He form 1 one of his lowers or buys a lower to do it and rebuilds the gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12