Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling an SBR?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Selling an SBR?

A friend of mine lives in another state and just created an “NFA” trust. He would like to buy one of my sbr’s so obviously a form 4 is involved from my trust to his. However, I’m unsure of the physical transfer.

1. He files a form 4 adding the sbr to his trust
    2. Once approved sbr comes off my schedule A and added to his
    3. He frequently returns to the same state I reside, with an approved form 4 can he just take possession of the sbr on his next subsequent visit, or does it still need to be shipped to an FFL...even though he just got form 4 approved?

My inclination is that since it’s going to his trust (not individual) and the form 4 is approved, he would be able to just take possession and bring it home. As much as I love this place I plan on consulting with the ATF to vet/confirm whatever answer I get, but I’m just curious of others experience or input. Not to mention to help form a ballpark plan.

Thanks,
    Tim

Feedback Score
    I purchased a machinegun from an individual in another state, but the process should be the same. I can't help you with the trust part as everything I have is individual. You have to transfer the SBR to an FFL/SOT in his state and ship it once the transfer is approved. Then the FFL/SOT will then transfer it to him. This means two $200 transfers. If this is an AR15 SBR that you made on a Form 1, then it's likely not worth the cost and effort.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I purchased a machinegun from an individual in another state, but the process should be the same. I can't help you with the trust part as everything I have is individual. You have to transfer the SBR to an FFL/SOT in his state and ship it once the transfer is approved. Then the FFL/SOT will then transfer it to him. This means two $200 transfers. If this is an AR15 SBR that you made on a Form 1, then it's likely not worth the cost and effort.
    That’s what I’m trying to figure out. I know instate doesn’t require ffl/sot with approved form 4, and obviously shipping requires it, but wasn’t sure if it’s required if dude is just picking up. Emailed ATF, so we’ll see what they arbitrarily decree based on who responds to the email.

Feedback Score
    I'm 99% sure that an interstate transfer requires and NFA item to be shipped to an FFL/SOT.

Feedback Score
    Is your SBR an AR lower or something else?

If an AR, delist from the NFA registry, and sell to him as a plain old lower. It is the same $200 tax to him whether he does a Form 1 or Form 4. With a Form 1, he can take possession today, and wait for the stamp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post

If an AR, delist from the NFA registry, and sell to him as a plain old lower. It is the same $200 tax to him whether he does a Form 1 or Form 4. With a Form 1, he can take possession today, and wait for the stamp.
    This.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

I was wondering if there was a fee for delisting but couldn't find one (I wouldn't think so). If not, this seems the easiest/cheapest
    route.

Feedback Score
    I agree that's it's not worth doing if it's an AR lower that was SBR'd on a Form 1.

There are actually two transfers for $200. Who pays them is up to the buyer and seller. One thing to keep in mind is that the buyer can't possess a < 16" barrel upper unless he has an SBR'd lower or a pistol lower. Also, if delisted from the registry, the buyer would have to engrave it again if he wanted to SBR it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    You now see the reason there is very little movement on the used SBR / Suppressor market, aside from more rare / collectable firearms (read Swiss 55X and other things).

AR "SBRs" are nothing special and unless it's a KAC or a Colt, usually not worth the effort. You can do the de-NFA it thing but unless it's something special, why bother (I.e, unless your friend is willing to pay the $200 hit you'll be taking by selling, why bother?).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Sorry, for lack of reply. Spoke with gentleman from ATF and he confirmed what others have said here. Form 4, transferring to a trust, same state...no ffl/sot needed. Out of state, or going to an individual requires an FFL/SOT.

The sbr in question is a Form 1 Colt 6920. It’s been upgraded with Geissele components and my buddy has always really liked it and wanted it. Easiest (albeit most expensive) is to just pay for “my” stamp sending it to ffl/sot in his area, he can then pay for his stamp once it arrives.

The thought has crossed my mind of just picking up any stripped lower and transferring everything/turning it into pistol. Truth be told that might be more economical/easier anyway. Thanks fellas

Tim
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 06-05-21 at 15:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast