Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Night vision goggles

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Night vision goggles

What are the goto NV Goggles. A friend is asking ?
    Any help much appreciated.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    JRH Enterprises. Pay whatever it takes to get L3 filmless.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    PB,

The L3/Harris Unfilmed White Phosphor BNVD are generally considered the gold standard now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks guys anyone else?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by arptsprt View Post
    PB,

The L3/Harris Unfilmed White Phosphor BNVD are generally considered the gold standard now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. BNVD-SG is so hot right now.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    RNVGs with the best white phosphor tubes you can afford, preferably hand selected. Or DTNVS if you really want the articulation. TNVC is who I generally recommend, even though I'm not a fan of how some of their employees carry themselves online; they might be pricks, but to customers they appear to be the most consistent and trustworthy. I have also heard good things about High End Armament Technology (AKA HEAT) and Kosher Surplus. I would steer away from Steele Industries, US Night Vision, and Night Vision Inc. There are a bazillion other little shops/assemblers out there, who might do great work, or might not.

GPNVG-18s are pretty legit, they do bring serious capabilities, but the civilian available ones appear to have rather mediocre tubes, with no ability to hand-select (unless you were willing to drop the cash to buy the system yourself and then swap out all 4 tubes).

Hard pass on the PVS-31 as a civilian; their fragility and minimalistic features makes them a poor choice outside of cloning, IMO.

The problem with JRH is that you're mostly stuck with NVD housings, which tend to be a bit less well-supported; they're perfectly fine for most folks, I'd wager, but there's less aftermarket accessories. That being said, if that's not an issue, and the various NVD housings fulfill your requirements (I personally have no interest in any of their housings with the availability of the DTNVS), JRH is probably right up there with TNVC in terms of customer satisfaction.

The Boson Systems MNVG and Nocturn Industries UANVB Katana are both interesting housings, but both are yet to be widely released, so meh.

Just as an explanation, I personally chose the RNVGs with hand-selected L-3 22UAs, with an emphasis on having low equivalent background illumination (EBI). I did not see much use in articulation for myself, as I don't plan on running around enclosed spaces a lot with the NODs flipped up, particularly in vehicles, which is where the articulation is a huge boon due to its ability to fold flatter against the helmet. Nor do I plan on often mounting a rifle with a CNVD or operating a thermal device, so having one pod up and one pod down didn't matter to me. Instead, I preferred the simplicity and durability of the solid aluminum housing. That being said, if I absolutely wanted articulation, I would likely go with the DTNVS over the various NVD housings, due to the reported high durability of the DTNVS, the interpupillary distance (IPD) stops and better aftermarket support. I do not see much use in the big feature that the NVD housings offer that the DTNVS lacks, manual gain, due to the fact that I have high quality tubes and am running dual tubes; manual gain can be useful in monoculars to help match your unaided (or thermal) eye, or if you have poor quality tubes where excessive gain could cause issues with image quality.

Disclaimer: all my information comes mostly from reading, with some minor CQB FoF experience under NODs.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 06-05-21 at 21:06.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    TNVC/Night Goggles, Nocturnality Gear, Presample Depot, and Licentia Arms are my go-to's.

L3Harris PVS-31A, Elbit F5032, and AIB DTNVS are the top three bino systems. I have a few hours under PVS-31A's and they aren't as fragile as everyone says. Most people claiming that have never used them. Obviously, any articulating system is going to be less rugged than something like an RNVG but "fragile" is a relative term.

Gen 3 L3Harris unfilmed or Elbit YH tubes are the top performing tubes. L3Harris has a slight lead with their unfilmed technology right now.

Check out Silent Solutions (Sam at TNVC) on YouTube, Nocturnality Gear on IG, and Licentia Arms on IG/YouTube for some solid technical info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Yes. BNVD-SG is so hot right now.
    BNVD Single gain units and Ultralight BNVD single gain units are extremely popular.

They are made in America unlike the foreign made dtn housing and they come from a company with 30 years in business, the first Night vision company to offer a 10 year warranty way back in 2014 that was later copied by others. Also NVD is ISO9001 rated.

A simple google search for failures on BNVD SG versus dtn foreign housing will show you some differences. Just be warned the BNVD Single gain is NOT the "bnvd" that flir/armasight makes, so be sure your looking at the same product.

Yes the BNVD Single gain units and Ultralights are a proprietary product from NVD. As such they are not as widely for sale as the foreign made dtn job and the PVS5 style housings like the rnvg.

Because they are a proprietary housing and only available through a small number of companies via NVD, the smaller garage builders don't like the BNVD SG because they can't buy just the housing and build them themselves. The other Night Vision Company pissed off NVD with some slander and so NVD won't sell them any products like the BNVD SG. A casual look back will show that the other company previously sold and promoted that product, then pissed off the manufacturer and lost the ability to sell that product and then they touted the other product.

The BNVD Single gain and the Ultralight BNVD SG are fully articulating, extremely durable. When "researching" these things you will find a good bit of BS marketing about the need to "IPD stops" or a big screw to set your IPD. The BNVD SG and Ultralight version do not require IPD stops. The pods stay where you set them, no need for artificial aids. From that you will hear the crazy notion that IPD stops help when you need to set your pods down "one handed." OK, that's not a problem on the BNVD SG.

Further on IPD- so BNVDs are just like normal daytime binoculars. Let's say a friend hands me a set of his binoculars- I simply hold them up to my eyes and move the pods to where it works for my eyes. No Algebra involved, no fuss no muss.

What if it's incorrect? Will your brain explode?? Absolutely no. Again more BS marketing that essentially is used to push IPD stops. I actually never understood the whole drama behind this so during a 2 night class in the mountains a few years back I PURPOSELY set my IPD all jacked up on my Ultralight BNVDs and ran the 2 night class with my IPD set all wrong. Doing raids and ambushes, running up and down mountains, etc. Never had an issue. The IPD worries are drastically overrated. Your brain will NOT blow up if you don't set yours correctly. Also with the BNVDs the pods stay where you move them- do jumping jacks, run up and down hills, etc. they are NOT going to move until you move them.

So a US made housing, with your choice of tubes ranging from lower grade XLS inexpensive tubes up to higher cost higher graded SLH High Performance tubes etc.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve also been purposefully running my IPD on my nods slightly wider than the IPD on my grapes. I’m doing to push my brain’s comfort, because I found that when someone handed me a set that are wide, it would screw me up. Turns out, its fine. After like an hour, it doesn’t matter, as long as its close-ish. The two circles morph into an oval pretty quickly, for me. Can’t speak for everyone. And yeah, it stays where I put it, even jogging through the woods in full kit with a dog trying to track.

I used to really be into the aviation type binos because those were the first binos I grew up with. I won’t knock ‘em. I still have a crutch for wanting an external battery pack. Never grew out of that, since I didn't really like 15s, and kept my 6s instead as long as I could. RNVG will require more counterweight than 6s, though.
    RLTW

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm going to be the contrarian and suggest that you don't have to necessarily spend 10k on filmless. Or even get binos.

Here's my current setup that I'm super happy with:

Wasted a lot of time and money getting to that place. Luckily I didn't lose any money because the panic let me sell my unused stuff without taking big losses, so at least that's good. Tried binos, was NOT impressed. The weight savings and especially preserving your dominant eye's night vision are massive advantages no one talks about.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast