Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Night vision goggles

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I ended up with a Photonis tube from Robert at JRH- the specs on my tube match some of the high dollar gen 3 tube specs. I honestly donít know that I would spend more money based on what I see out of mineónot sure what I would see/get better for the increased cost.
    I am not an operator by trade and had never used NODs before. To my inexperienced eyes these will work for me just fine.
    Not much under most conditions. When you're under heavy tree cover on a cloudy night and it gets really noisy, that's where the super high end filmless tubes come into play. For what we're doing, not really important. You did well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Not much under most conditions. When you're under heavy tree cover on a cloudy night and it gets really noisy, that's where the super high end filmless tubes come into play. For what we're doing, not really important. You did well.
    +1

At our last Midnight Rendezvous 3.0 NV training class in March, we saw an interesting thing happen. The lighting conditions absolutely SUCKED that night- it rained on us most of the night, constant cloud cover, no moon. This is down in the Georgia swamps at our range- no ambient light from houses, etc. for miles. MR 3.0 class focuses on fieldcraft and students spend a lot of time on jungle lanes searching for camoflaged targets day and night, as well as (DRY) team vs. team competitions, etc. Being as this is a fieldcraft class and not a square range class there isn't much shooting. Also we have students operate WITHOUT IR signature- no extra IR illumination, etc.

Devices at that class ranged from Photonis Echo WP PVS14s up to 37 SN Ultralight BNVDs and several other "high spec" tube units.

I realized near the end of the night I was running my gain higher than I ever do- and I usually keep my gain about 1/4 under most conditions. The lighting conditions absolutely SUCKED that night.

You know who did the best on finding the hidden camoflaged targets on the night jungle lanes? A team of guys that all were running Photonis Echo spec units.

Yep, the guys with $2800. devices beat the hell out of guys with $10K binos- handily I might add. LOL.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    +1

At our last Midnight Rendezvous 3.0 NV training class in March, we saw an interesting thing happen. The lighting conditions absolutely SUCKED that night- it rained on us most of the night, constant cloud cover, no moon. This is down in the Georgia swamps at our range- no ambient light from houses, etc. for miles. MR 3.0 class focuses on fieldcraft and students spend a lot of time on jungle lanes searching for camoflaged targets day and night, as well as (DRY) team vs. team competitions, etc. Being as this is a fieldcraft class and not a square range class there isn't much shooting. Also we have students operate WITHOUT IR signature- no extra IR illumination, etc.

Devices at that class ranged from Photonis Echo WP PVS14s up to 37 SN Ultralight BNVDs and several other "high spec" tube units.

I realized near the end of the night I was running my gain higher than I ever do- and I usually keep my gain about 1/4 under most conditions. The lighting conditions absolutely SUCKED that night.

You know who did the best on finding the hidden camoflaged targets on the night jungle lanes? A team of guys that all were running Photonis Echo spec units.

Yep, the guys with $2800. devices beat the hell out of guys with $10K binos- handily I might add. LOL.
    Was it pure skill, or was there something about the units that adapted better to the humid conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Was it pure skill, or was there something about the units that adapted better to the humid conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My point was more along the lines of dispelling the marketing BS that "echos don't do well in low light" that isn't really true.

Thinking back- some of the teams (2 man teams on the lanes) did as well as these same guys did during the DAY phase (different hidden targets in different locations but during the daylight phase of training). So yeah skill probably had a little to do with it, but was probably pretty damn close to equal.

In general I've noticed that guys that hunt tend to do the best on the jungle lanes. That's been a trend I've noticed for over 20 years.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    +1

Now THAT is surprising to me. I've never looked through an Echo. I always thought gen II was supposed to suck in low light.

Feedback Score
    Only it's not Gen 2, that's the thing.

We are seeing on average 68 LP and 30 and over SN on Echos. That's been the average for the last year.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345