Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Night vision goggles

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I want/need NV, my dog needs surgery to remove a tumor. My dog is going to get the surgery. Priorities.
    True. I figure what I got, plus I have a helmet set-up, that I should basically be solid. Certainly better than not having any at all.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Truth be told, I actually chose to use a 14 for a while, even though I had access to a 15 with my name on it. Coming off 6s before that, and a 14 before that still. Back to 6s when I went to Bragg, then back to some sort of modified 14 for a while again. I think I’m assigned a new 14 now, actually.

There is nothing wrong with a good 14.

I really didn’t like 15s lol. And I have no idea why people mess with a 7 on their own time. Those were irredeemably shitty.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Truth be told, I actually chose to use a 14 for a while, even though I had access to a 15 with my name on it. Coming off 6s before that, and a 14 before that still. Back to 6s when I went to Bragg, then back to some sort of modified 14 for a while again. I think I’m assigned a new 14 now, actually.

There is nothing wrong with a good 14.

I really didn’t like 15s lol. And I have no idea why people mess with a 7 on their own time. Those were irredeemably shitty.
    I love the 14s. What I really want is a super lightweight monocular with a remote battery, where the power comes through the mount. Especially if you did the whole Steiner stacked thing, man you could get that down to maybe like six ounces that felt like half that. And that would require even less substantial headgear, which is going to be more comfortable and have more ventilation. It's kind of crappy that all this lightweight innovation is going into duals and not into monoculars.

Feedback Score
    A PVS14 will do everything you need to do, it will just require some training and experience in using the platform.

No serious student of violence would buy an AR, rarely shoot it and think they will be able to fight effectively when needed. In the same manner you must train with your NV.

A PVS14 you CAN drive with, navigate with, fight with, etc. anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to make you spend more money on a dual tube set.

That being said, you can do everything you need to with a 14 but it does get a helluva lot easier to do those tasks with a dual tube set. With a more modern designed dual tube set like a BNVD you are rotate one pod/tube up and out of the way if you want to run it like a 14 or if you need an unaided eye for something, etc.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    A PVS14 will do everything you need to do, it will just require some training and experience in using the platform.

No serious student of violence would buy an AR, rarely shoot it and think they will be able to fight effectively when needed. In the same manner you must train with your NV.

A PVS14 you CAN drive with, navigate with, fight with, etc. anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to make you spend more money on a dual tube set.

That being said, you can do everything you need to with a 14 but it does get a helluva lot easier to do those tasks with a dual tube set. With a more modern designed dual tube set like a BNVD you are rotate one pod/tube up and out of the way if you want to run it like a 14 or if you need an unaided eye for something, etc.
    I think there's a very strong psychological barrier to working with monoculars. The brain throws this little hissy fit and refuses to do its job. It's much like trying to teach people to shoot irons with both eyes open. Some people will simply never overcome that psychological barrier. It feels weird, therefore it's impossible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I think there's a very strong psychological barrier to working with monoculars. The brain throws this little hissy fit and refuses to do its job. It's much like trying to teach people to shoot irons with both eyes open. Some people will simply never overcome that psychological barrier. It feels weird, therefore it's impossible.
    Good point!

A think a lot of this has to do with people's "progression" in training. We learned to work at night without anything "back in the day". Night land nav courses, learning to shoot at night with only irons and hit targets with no illumination, how to move around in the woods without illumination etc.

Then we saw a broken arse PVS5 with only one tube working. You would think the Swedish bikini team parachuted in for festivities LOL.

Much later we worked with single tube sets like the Patriot Pocketscope which was built from PVS5 tubes as a handheld monocular. Much much later PVS7s and even later PVS14s. Having a 3rd Gen PVS14 was literally like cheating at that point.

Now a days, I keep my gain turned way down on my UL BNVDs because otherwise they are too bright IMO.

But for folks that come right to NV now without all that backstory, having "just one eye" is seen as a limitation- It really isn't. Having both eyes aided does help make tasks easier, but you can do everything you need to do with a single tube unit.

The nice also is PVS14s are "expandable"- what I mean by that is you can get a 2nd PVS14 later that is a close match and either buy a bridge like the new Panobridge and dual bridge them or have your 14's converted to a dedicated dual tube setup.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    double post mods please delete
    Last edited by Flint_Ironstag; 06-17-21 at 19:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @Lowdown3 this is grounded information, thanks. I'm a huge fan of modularity, and all about HAVING the capability. Can you link to what a poor boy can start with and eventually upgrade to dual tube?

Much obliged.

[edit]I'm assuming nothing less than Gen3 at this point? sorry if this is a hijack
    Last edited by Flint_Ironstag; 06-17-21 at 19:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint_Ironstag View Post
    @Lowdown3 this is grounded information, thanks. I'm a huge fan of modularity, and all about HAVING the capability. Can you link to what a poor boy can start with and eventually upgrade to dual tube?

Much obliged.

[edit]I'm assuming nothing less than Gen3 at this point? sorry if this is a hijack
    Well couple things to consider-

The Photonis Echo spec tubes made in France, because of the way they are constructed it's technically not correct to call them a "Gen 3" tube but it's also not technically correct to call then a "Gen 2" tube. However when you see averages like 30 SN and 68 LP (what we have seen the Echos average for the last year now), those are 3rd gen performance numbers.

So the Photonis tubes offer a cost effective alternative to Elbit and L3.

A big consideration right now would be lead times. They are currently the highest ever seen. Major delays in getting tubes from the manufacturers as well as the highest demand ever seen for the last couple years has created a perfect storm. As such it isn't uncommon to see lead time for NV run into 16-24 weeks depending on the model and tube used.

That's another big plus right now for Photonis Echo spec units- they are shipping in around a week or less currently, versus a crazy long lead time for most Elbit and L3 tubes.

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/Night-Vision_c3.htm

Feel free to post, PM, email or call with any specific questions. Email and phone is quickest. Be sure to mention M4carbine so we can discount also.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    Just had a couple deals drop on BNVD dual tube sets that might interest some here-

BNVD no gain (what most call "auto gain") with Photonis Echo spec Green phosphor tubes on sale at $5595.

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/BNVD-...oBNVDGREEN.htm

Also WHITE Phosphor available in same model-

https://www.jrhenterprises.com/BNVD-...DWHITEPHOS.htm

Best part- they are currently shipping in 1-2 weeks. No 16-30 week lead time on these.
    Thank you very much - this is relevant to my interests. I was just able to snag a BE Meyers MAWL-C1+ for my go-to carbine, and was researching BNVD's on the ride home today.

Gonna need a bucket, too.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast