Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Piston? HK MR556?

Feedback Score

Piston? HK MR556?

So it looks like those of us behind enemy lines (CA) can possibly celebrate the 4th of July with restorations of our rights. I am currently wanting a carbine possibly something different like a piston setup and I am looking towards HK or LMT unless I am missing something. SIG MCX, Robinson XCR, etc while not off the table I am just not overly familiar with.

Thanks
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    You might look at the Bren 2 in .556. You can either buy a 16 inch rifle or buy a 14 inch Pistol and buy the 922R kit and pin on a Surefire Warcomp or something similar. It's definitely a cool weapon and arguably the most up to date design available (it has many of the features pioneered by the XM8/SCAR/ACR/ MCX (barf), etc. It is essentially a SCAR 16 with a nonreciprocating charging handle (a huge deal to many). I put one together from a 14 inch pistol and it is loads of fun. Allegedly there will be caliber conversion kits in the future.

You also have the Tavor X95 which is a fabulously underrated imported military weapon in almost every aspect other than the fun switch. It is basically the size of a colt Commando (although heavier for sure) but it packs a 16 inch plus chrome lined hammer forged barrel. IWI also puts spare parts kits up for sale regularly on their web page. Some folks report poor accuracy. I haven't noticed, but I basically shoot 10 inch steel plates at 50/100/180 yards so it seems awesome to me. There are already some pretty cool caliber conversion kits.

There is always the Classic AUG. The newer variants are quite nice. Although I am concerned that the most recent imports are not chrome lined (the same issue I have with the 556.

Unless something has changed, I would skip the HK 556. Although I love HK and I love the 416, the non-chrome lined non-mil spec barrel is a deal-breaker for me. YMMV.

The SCAR-16 is an amazing, absurdly durable, proven weapons system that is brought it in damn near military configuration (barring fun switch) but the $3300 price tag on these things is insane.

The Beretta ARX is an AMAZING value if you can find one. It is again, a very up to date design from a world-class manufacturer with a 500 year history. I picked mine up for $1100 but you have to look around.

I personally can't get past SIGs constant beta testing of weapons on the public. For the money they charge, they should have their homework done. I may be wrong, but I think they have already orphaned first gen MCX folks. I would skip that drama.

I have never owned or even played with an XCR so I will skip that.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Thanks for awesome reply. I am pretty sure i would have to go the rifle route and them pin/weld to 14.5 because we still have the pistol roster so pistol setups are still off the table. I always hear mixed things about the scar its the only one I have time on and I had no problems with it but then I hear "everyone who was issued one hated it" and I obviously didnt have enough time on it. I would be interested to learn more about the life span of the HK barrel being non chrome lined. If I could ever find a 14.5 pin/weld Knights (i know its DI) I would totally go that route. I havent considered a bulpup but now that you mention it the X95 is pretty slick, any info on the desert tech mdr I remember that was supposed to be a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    You might look at the Bren 2 in .556. You can either buy a 16 inch rifle or buy a 14 inch Pistol and buy the 922R kit and pin on a Surefire Warcomp or something similar. It's definitely a cool weapon and arguably the most up to date design available (it has many of the features pioneered by the XM8/SCAR/ACR/ MCX (barf), etc. It is essentially a SCAR 16 with a nonreciprocating charging handle (a huge deal to many). I put one together from a 14 inch pistol and it is loads of fun. Allegedly there will be caliber conversion kits in the future.

You also have the Tavor X95 which is a fabulously underrated imported military weapon in almost every aspect other than the fun switch. It is basically the size of a colt Commando (although heavier for sure) but it packs a 16 inch plus chrome lined hammer forged barrel. IWI also puts spare parts kits up for sale regularly on their web page. Some folks report poor accuracy. I haven't noticed, but I basically shoot 10 inch steel plates at 50/100/180 yards so it seems awesome to me. There are already some pretty cool caliber conversion kits.

There is always the Classic AUG. The newer variants are quite nice. Although I am concerned that the most recent imports are not chrome lined (the same issue I have with the 556.

Unless something has changed, I would skip the HK 556. Although I love HK and I love the 416, the non-chrome lined non-mil spec barrel is a deal-breaker for me. YMMV.

The SCAR-16 is an amazing, absurdly durable, proven weapons system that is brought it in damn near military configuration (barring fun switch) but the $3300 price tag on these things is insane.

The Beretta ARX is an AMAZING value if you can find one. It is again, a very up to date design from a world-class manufacturer with a 500 year history. I picked mine up for $1100 but you have to look around.

I personally can't get past SIGs constant beta testing of weapons on the public. For the money they charge, they should have their homework done. I may be wrong, but I think they have already orphaned first gen MCX folks. I would skip that drama.

I have never owned or even played with an XCR so I will skip that.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    A bit to early celebrate... California attorney general had already announced he will appeal yesterday's pro2A ruling up to 9th circuit. For those who follow CA 2A, 9th circuit will almost always rule in favor of gun grabbers..so hopefully it goes all the way to SCOTUS....

Feedback Score
    Im not a lawyer and neither are 99% of the people trying to guestimate the outcome but either way I can look forward to potentially being able to purchase what I want but if it doesnt happen oh well. If it does I can be ready to jump on something. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n8vmind View Post
    A bit to early celebrate... California attorney general had already announced he will appeal yesterday's pro2A ruling up to 9th circuit. For those who follow CA 2A, 9th circuit will almost always rule in favor of gun grabbers..so hopefully it goes all the way to SCOTUS....
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n8vmind View Post
    True, but with the SC made up the way it is, they might not punt the appeal this time.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    With all due respect, I started this thread as I am interested in more information about products and not individual prospectives on legal proceedings. I am sure plenty of threads exist to participate in thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    True, but with the SC made up the way it is, they might not punt the appeal this time.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The newer AUGs are great.

The MR556 is great. You are getting essentially an HK M27 barrel. User Montrala here had a lot of rounds through his. It wouldn’t hurt to search.

I have an MR556 and love it. Everybody gets hung up on the lack of Chrome Lining. They forget that the barrels are made in such a way that you don’t need them to be Chrome Lined.

And you’re get a gun that is “finished” in the USA more than made in the USA.

Most of the people crying about the 416/556 spiel have never fired both in a large enough capacity to have a real, meaningful opinion. I will advise you that if you get one to get the Geissele rail and the A5 HK grip and the slimline HK stock.

If I could only have one gun and couldn’t get an LMT MRP Mlok; it would most certainly be an HK. Just remember it only likes M3 Pmags or regular GI mags

Feedback Score
    awesome thanks, I was originally looking at the LMT stuff but the difficulty in tracking them down is the problem let alone a complete carbine. The mention of the Bren 2 intrigues me especially looking at the new carbine with mlok it seems pretty easy to have someone make it 14.5 pin/weld job and an excellent upgrade over previous brens.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The newer AUGs are great.

The MR556 is great. You are getting essentially an HK M27 barrel. User Montrala here had a lot of rounds through his. It wouldn’t hurt to search.

I have an MR556 and love it. Everybody gets hung up on the lack of Chrome Lining. They forget that the barrels are made in such a way that you don’t need them to be Chrome Lined.

And you’re get a gun that is “finished” in the USA more than made in the USA.

Most of the people crying about the 416/556 spiel have never fired both in a large enough capacity to have a real, meaningful opinion. I will advise you that if you get one to get the Geissele rail and the A5 HK grip and the slimline HK stock.

If I could only have one gun and couldn’t get an LMT MRP Mlok; it would most certainly be an HK. Just remember it only likes M3 Pmags or regular GI mags
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The HK... it’s barrel leaves a lot to be desired (too heavy a contour and it’s neither Melonited/QPQ or hard chrome lined).

The rifle is heavy.

I know, I know... it’s an HK and I’m not immune to that either, mind you!

Barrett makes or made an external piston AR as does LWRCi.

You want what you want but I’d opt for something I could more easily maintain and repair economically.

Daniel Defense, BCM, etc., conventional, Direct Impingement Carbines. I would also purchase a few lowers and uppers and bolt carrier assemblies if and when the law changes if I were in California.
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast