Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Piston? HK MR556?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mysak View Post
    With all due respect, I started this thread as I am interested in more information about products and not individual prospectives on legal proceedings. I am sure plenty of threads exist to participate in thanks.
    I was just responding to his commentary.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Most of the people crying about the 416/556 spiel have never fired both in a large enough capacity to have a real, meaningful opinion. I will advise you that if you get one to get the Geissele rail and the A5 HK grip and the slimline HK stock.
    Well I I haven’t owned an American MR556 but I did have a real deal HK 416 upper on a m16a1 for years. Great fun. Eventually flipped it because the money was too tempting.

I don’t hate the 556, I would just prefer it if they had real 416 barrels. Some people like different things, not everything is a big deal. If I was buying one it would just be to get some thing as close to a military 416 as possible. I don’t have a full auto lower anymore so I don’t really have a actual need for it —it would just be to have something awesome. And it would be a little more awesome if it was made to spec. YMMV.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Well I I haven’t owned an American MR556 but I did have a real deal HK 416 upper on a m16a1 for years. Great fun. Eventually flipped it because the money was too tempting.

I don’t hate the 556, I would just prefer it if they had real 416 barrels. Some people like different things, not everything is a big deal. If I was buying one it would just be to get some thing as close to a military 416 as possible. I don’t have a full auto lower anymore so I don’t really have a actual need for it —it would just be to have something awesome. And it would be a little more awesome if it was made to spec. YMMV.
    Please explain “made to spec”. HK literally makes these guns. They will openly tell you that the 2004 HK416s are obsolete. I am confused when you say “real” 416 barrels. HK makes all the barrels and if you were able to wear one out; they would replace it.

No it’s not like the exact gun the military has but then, I am not in the military. I just want something that works.

I see the allure of chrome lining but you’re not going to wear out a 556 barrel. The M27 is the exact same profile as the 556 so they aren’t that heavy.
    I have used a (more contemporary) work 416 and as such got my own personal 556. I do believe the longer barrel gives you the better all around experience in terms of balance.

It is by far the most accurate AR I own. Hands down. And that’s a bold statement given some of the pieces that I have bought or built over the years.

If it were me, and this may be the only rifle that I could get in California; it would be HK if not LMT.
    It’s my MacBook Pro rifle. It’s expensive but it just works.

My only advice on 556 is not to bother with the quad rail. It adds unnecessary weight and it’s simply not worth it.

At the same time, by sheer virtue of it being a piston, it will never ever be a lightweight gun.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Please explain “made to spec”. HK literally makes these guns. They will openly tell you that the 2004 HK416s are obsolete. I am confused when you say “real” 416 barrels. HK makes all the barrels and if you were able to wear one out; they would replace it.
    I am sorry I confused you. If HK ever makes the 556 barrels (chrome lined) like they do the 416 barrels I’ll definitely pick one up for the collection.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    i hear ya, lowers and parts have never been an issue as far as CA goes. I am trying to limit the amount of what i own. The "HK" is a selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    The HK... it’s barrel leaves a lot to be desired (too heavy a contour and it’s neither Melonited/QPQ or hard chrome lined).

The rifle is heavy.

I know, I know... it’s an HK and I’m not immune to that either, mind you!

Barrett makes or made an external piston AR as does LWRCi.

You want what you want but I’d opt for something I could more easily maintain and repair economically.

Daniel Defense, BCM, etc., conventional, Direct Impingement Carbines. I would also purchase a few lowers and uppers and bolt carrier assemblies if and when the law changes if I were in California.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    If the barrel on an MR556 not being chromed lined bugs you you could always wait for a run of Marvin Pitts' CL barrels. Then of course that adds another $450-500 to the cost of your $3K MR556. A guy in Arkansas (Jayson from Investment Grade Firearms) used to do re-profile and nitride jobs on MR556 barrels. Not sure but IIRC he has fallen into disfavor, although I used him once and never had an issue. Excellent work at a decent price.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I am not looking for collectors item. I am looking for a go to low maintenence carbine that I can throw a red dot and light on for HD and if things went horribly wrong a LVPO for outside the house would you recommend the MR556 for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

No it’s not like the exact gun the military has but then, I am not in the military. I just want something that works.

I see the allure of chrome lining but you’re not going to wear out a 556 barrel. The M27 is the exact same profile as the 556 so they aren’t that heavy.
    I have used a (more contemporary) work 416 and as such got my own personal 556. I do believe the longer barrel gives you the better all around experience in terms of balance.

It is by far the most accurate AR I own. Hands down. And that’s a bold statement given some of the pieces that I have bought or built over the years.

If it were me, and this may be the only rifle that I could get in California; it would be HK if not LMT.
    It’s my MacBook Pro rifle. It’s expensive but it just works.

My only advice on 556 is not to bother with the quad rail. It adds unnecessary weight and it’s simply not worth it.

At the same time, by sheer virtue of it being a piston, it will never ever be a lightweight gun.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    Ill be completely honest I have done a fair amount of shooting and have broken a multitude parts but i have personally never ran into the issue of lack of chrome lining but i am no one special and honestly not a expert in the world of barrel treatment/coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    If the barrel on an MR556 not being chromed lined bugs you you could always wait for a run of Marvin Pitts' CL barrels. Then of course that adds another $450-500 to the cost of your $3K MR556. A guy in Arkansas (Jayson from Investment Grade Firearms) used to do re-profile and nitride jobs on MR556 barrels. Not sure but IIRC he has fallen into disfavor, although I used him once and never had an issue. Excellent work at a decent price.
    Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    LWRC all day !

Feedback Score
    many moons ago a buddy had an LWRC and it did not do well and that experience has some what tainted my perspective and while I am sure they have corrected everything it would be hard for me to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    LWRC all day !
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast