Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Piston? HK MR556?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    Here are my thoughts on piston rifles based on my experience with them. I own several Sig 516's, several MCX Virtus's, and one HK MR556. I also own several DI rifles, primarily Centurion Arms. I am a big piston fan. The ones that I have have all been 100% reliable and shoot very well. The 516's are heavy, as is the MR556, primarily being massively overbuilt in certain areas including barrels. Yes, the recoil impulse of a piston rifle is different from a DI gun, but not so punishing as to make any significant difference (imho). The real beauty of a piston rifle, aside from its reliability, is that the bcg just doesn't get dirty. Cleaning a piston rifle is a piece of cake compared to a DI rifle. Now, the real interesting piston rifle for me is the MCX Virtus. Recent reviews of this rifle have been very favorable. The ones I have (16" and 2-11.5") shoot well, and the recoil impulse is virtually the same as a DI gun. There is a strong possibility that the NGSW for the US Military will be a variant of the MCX in 6.8 caliber. Lots of info out there on this rifle if one wants to look. To be sure, for civilian use, a DI rifle is just as practical as a piston variant. But for serious use the piston rifle is still the choice of many. I have no hesitation in recommending any of the models I own and shoot to anyone interested in having a piston gun.
    Didn't Sig replace the 516 with another variant?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Didn't Sig replace the 516 with another variant?
    The 516 is still available and sold to LE/Mil only at this time. It is listed in both LE and Mil current catalogs from Sig in several variations. I inquired and Sig advised me that if I, now in civilian status, wanted to buy one, it was still possible to do. But they are not specifically marketing the 516 to the civilian market at present. You may be thinking of the MCX Virtus, which is undoubtedly Sig's main emphasis going forward. The MCX Virtus is a piston operated rifle but not in the same way as the 516/HK 416/LWRC models are. I have some of the MCX Virtus rifles in different barrel lengths, and enjoy shooting them. They are accurate and have less recoil than the 516/416 style rifles. Primary drawback is that, like the 516/416, they are heavy compared to the average DI rifle. Sig's entry in the NGSW competition is what many call the "MCX Gen III" (Sig calls it the "Spear") chambered in a new 6.8 round. It has some nice features including a side charging handle, which I would like to see make its way to the civilian models of the MCX.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678