Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SBR suppressor advice

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Get the Surefire RC2, it’s amazing.

Edit: Just curious, but who is saying you shouldn’t buy a can from a light manufacturer?
    It was on AR15.com

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/D...RC2/20-505778/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Cans are cans for the most part. It's not rocket science. Features vary from one company to another.

Surefire originally paraded their cans as Mil only, and kinda taunted the civilian market. Then all of the sudden they wanted those civilian dollars, and the cans became available. (this isn't repeating something I read/heard... I saw it myself back in the ARFcom days)

Surefire makes good stuff. It's just over-priced in my opinion.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    If this is your first can get a full size one. If this wasn’t your first I’d say get the Mini, that’s what I want for a 11.5-12.5” upper. As previously stated a Mini on a shorter barrel is pretty much just for muzzle blast and not much for suppression. Surefire cans are expensive but they are built like tanks and have less back pressure. And they are DOD issued, that gives them some “extra points” in my opinion. Supposedly they don’t have the decibel reduction that other devices have but decibel reduction isn’t the only factor when deciding which to purchase.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcraigster View Post
    It was on one of the forums. I will see if I can find it again. They person pretty much said buy a suppressor from a suppressor company and not a weapon light company. I just took it with a grain of salt but it got me thinking so I figured I would ask you guys.
    Socom rc2 is one of the most robust cans on the market. I have beat the shoot out of mine through classes and it looks brand new. It’s my favorite can I own and I also have the sandman s, which is another great can. The rc2 is a little heavy but is a great suppressor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    If this is your first can get a full size one. If this wasn’t your first I’d say get the Mini, that’s what I want for a 11.5-12.5” upper. As previously stated a Mini on a shorter barrel is pretty much just for muzzle blast and not much for suppression. Surefire cans are expensive but they are built like tanks and have less back pressure. And they are DOD issued, that gives them some “extra points” in my opinion. Supposedly they don’t have the decibel reduction that other devices have but decibel reduction isn’t the only factor when deciding which to purchase.
    They don’t but to be honest you won’t tell a difference in sound from 135-140 anyways. I find tone is far more important than loudness. I love mine and it’s on my go to sbr. I’d buy it again all day and twice on Sunday. I wish the mini had better suppression but the rc2 isn’t all that long as it is. It is heavy but Too me it feels solid.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Surefire is the gold standard. If not for KAC, they’d be my go to.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Forgive me if I missed it someplace, but is there a reason to not consider the SiCo OMEGA? IIRC correctly it is about the same size and weight as the RC2 and I've read numerous posts saying it actually suppresses better. And I know you can find them at least $100.00 cheaper.

I like mine just fine.

Plus, in my experience SilencerCo warranty work/customer service has been top notch. IDK about Surefire.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Forgive me if I missed it someplace, but is there a reason to not consider the SiCo OMEGA? IIRC correctly it is about the same size and weight as the RC2 and I've read numerous posts saying it actually suppresses better. And I know you can find them at least $100.00 cheaper.

I like mine just fine.

Plus, in my experience SilencerCo warranty work/customer service has been top notch. IDK about Surefire.
    I’ve never had to warranty my Surefire suppressor, or mounts.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Just went through this myself. Bought a Surefire RC2 and also a TBAC DSU.

Suppressors are tough because of how hard it is to acquire and try one out. So people make a selection and then argue that theirs is best. Kind of hard to find people who have honestly tried out a lot of what is on the market and share an unbiased opinion.

Features to consider: suppression level, backpressure, robustness, mounting system/muzzle devices, POI shift, availability and speed of customer service, weight, first round pop, flash suppression. Maybe more but those come to mind. You have to decide what is most important to you.

For me backpressure was pretty high on the list. Gas to face is a PITA to manage. Need a properly gassed gun also but the Surefire does well in the backpressure department. The mount/muzzle device offerings were important to me too as I will be using the suppressor(s) on more than one dedicated rifle. POI shift (at least repeatability of the shift) was important as well for the same reason. Finally, durability was important as I want it to last and don't want to have to send it in for tweaking etc because I bumped it wrong.

I figure with the mil contract(s) Surefire is going to be around for awhile, and also will be able to fix it should I ever need it. The mil boys will wear them out, bash, and crash them a lot faster than I ever could. Did I get the best? I dunno. Will it work for me? You bet.

I'm sure there are a bunch of other quality offerings. Getting something ubiquitous isn't a bad thing though.

Photo is 11.5" pistol with RC2 attached.

G11.5.jpg
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 06-07-21 at 17:47.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

I like mine just fine.

When I worked as an NFA dealer I warrantied around 10 Omegas in 3 years. The Omega (as far as I'm concerned) is a hobby can best used for short range trips and showing off to people who know nothing about suppressors. Most of the ones we sent back were for ASR failures that weren't related to customers installing them incorrectly (the mount legitimately failed,) and one was for a weld failure (see below.)

OP: Buy the mini. Even if you're using it on a shorter gun you'll appreciate the handiness of it. Even with my 12.5 now, I can't stand swinging around a full size can whenever I'm at the range and regret ever buying one in the first place. That opinion is one in a sea of others and contrary to most but it's my experience. If you're not sold on the Surefire Mini556 then take a hard look at the Sandman K from Dead Air.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast