Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with a Garbage Upper?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

What do you do with a Garbage Upper?

I built an upper for my brother's AR and now have his old one. I'm a bit stuck on what I am going to do with it. Is it wrong to carry it into a gun show and dump it for $300 or whatever I get?

Andy

Feedback Score
    You could do that. Or, you could give it to someone that you know that may not have an AR and help them build a complete rifle. If the "Garbage Upper" is still functional and safe?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    1-It may be someone else's treasure
    2-may serve well for parts when you get around to a project

What was wrong with it?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The upper is functional and appears to be safe, I don't think it has more than 100 rounds through it. It was assembled during the AWB by a guy my brother knew. It has a ridiculously loud integral brake. The only mark I found is the forge mark on the upper receiver.

What is wrong with it:
    - Barrel is unmarked, heavy profile, 16" carbine, .750" FSB W/O bayo lug, integral brake (probably 1-9 twist or slower)
    - BCG is an unshrouded semi carrier with an un-marked bolt

The only good thing about it is the A2 upper receiver, and I'm not terribly confident in it either.

I upgraded his AR so it was useful to him. Right now, the only original parts on his AR are the lower receiver, selector, and trigger guard (seriously).
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-07-21 at 10:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just my opinion so its worth about nothing. I would try and find someone who could use it but doesn't have a AR yet. A Anderson lower and some Arrow guts and there they go, hell I have a Carbine Stock off a M&P15 I would send to you for them if you go this route.

It may not be exactly what you or myself would call a "Good AR" but if it goes bang reliably and is somewhat accurate it could be someone's treasure.
    Last edited by Spooky1; 06-07-21 at 11:22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I built an upper for my brother's AR and now have his old one. I'm a bit stuck on what I am going to do with it. Is it wrong to carry it into a gun show and dump it for $300 or whatever I get?

Andy
    I don't see any issue with dumping the upper so long as you are honest about what it is, and who knows with today's market how it will do. I've seen people push PSA's in stores for $1200 in certain areas. As for a new upper, you can generally find something if you search for it or wait around.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks for the offer, Spooky. I am pretty sure I have a PSA carbine stock floating around, unless I gave it away.

You guys make a good point about folks who may not need or want a "good" AR.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Why not mate it to a budget lower and use it for a hiking or camping gun? Something for blasting away at milk jugs and something you don't mind getting scratched up or banged up. Such guns are treated like a rented mule. Who knows, it might end up being a favorite?
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have a garbage upper stashed away in my gun room. It was said to be a S&W Sport but I'm skeptical. It works, though, so I keep it around to possibly cannibalize in the future.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The very first AR I purchased was a piece of crap from a local manufacturer that went tits up. In fact, I think one of my first posts was about that rifle. In spite of carrying one in the military, I didn't know what I didn't know, and I thought ALL ARs = Colt. Anyhoo, I ended up giving it to a buddy who was an armorer in the Marines, and he stripped it and rebuilt it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast