Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with a Garbage Upper?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    So it’s garbage because of the lack of markings, the time period in which it was made, and the fact that you don’t know much about it?
    Its garbage to me because it has a 16" H-BAR profile unlined barrel with a mystery twist (1-9 or 1-12) plus a ridiculously loud integral brake and a semi BCG with unshrouded FP from an unknown manufacture.

I think the late Will Larson would have agreed with my description. I wish he was still with us to weigh in.

The upper is on its way to a member who will use the receiver and perhaps some other parts in an interesting build.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-11-21 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Its garbage to me because it has a 16" H-BAR profile unlined barrel with a mystery twist (1-9 or 1-12) plus a ridiculously loud integral brake and a semi BCG with unshrouded FP from an unknown manufacture.

I think the late Will Larson would have agreed with my description. I wish he was still with us to weigh in.

The upper is on its way to a member who will use the receiver and perhaps some other parts in an interesting build.

Andy
    Will let you know when the semi carrier in my older Colt starts acting up...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Will let you know when the semi carrier in my older Colt starts acting up...
    Parts is parts, right?

Feedback Score
    Parts is parts, right?
    Not sure what you are getting at but just being a semi auto carrier will not make it junk. Colt put out a pile of rifles with them and they work...

Heck, For that matter Colt has also put out unlined HBAR barrels that definitely work.
    Last edited by DG23; 06-13-21 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Not sure what you are getting at but just being a semi auto carrier will not make it junk. Colt put out a pile of rifles with them and they work...

Heck, For that matter Colt has also put out unlined HBAR barrels that definitely work.
    Being a semi carrier doesn't make it junk but a semi carrier with an un shrouded FP is pretty much asking for trouble. This article might help you understand the what and why behind Colt making 3 different carriers. http://weaponsman.looserounds.com/?p=11263

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Im getting at the fact that a Colt AR and an AR built from mystery parts are not at all the same.

An unlined and/or heavy profile barrel is not a show stopper but its hardly a positive for a 16" carbine. The same could be said for an unshrouded BCG.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Im getting at the fact that a Colt AR and an AR built from mystery parts are not at all the same.

An unlined and/or heavy profile barrel is not a show stopper but its hardly a positive for a 16" carbine. The same could be said for an unshrouded BCG.

Andy
    Glad I did not read this (and believe it) before I bought all those 16", carbine gas, match grade, SS, Bull barrels and actually shot them.

Lots of guys 'think' their gov profile 6920 crap is accurate until they shoot something that is really accurate.

So long as your hammer is not notched the unshrouded carriers are usually not a problem. I would not intentionally buy one if I had a choice but would not trash one just because the internet hated them unless it actually was causing issues.

Same with barrels. You got to shoot it before you know if it is a turd or not...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    OK Guys, I got the upper from the OP and kept the receiver. The rest is listed on the EE in AR Parts under title "One Man's Junk"
    Last edited by GH41; 06-17-21 at 16:27.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    OK Guys, I got the upper from the OP and kept the receiver. The rest is listed on the EE in AR Parts under title "One Man's Junk"
    FWIW, GH41 was completely transparent about his plan for the upper.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-17-21 at 16:51.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    FWIW, GH41 was completely transparent about his plan for the upper.

Andy
    And I'll add that Andy was completely honest about the condition of everything. If I were gun poor I would have kept everything but I am not. I really should be mad at Andy. The A2 receiver I bought on the cheap is probably going to cost me a couple of grand before the party is over. Thanks Andy!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast