Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Housing market

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgizzard View Post
    This is where my goals are currently set. Don’t think we’ll be able to do it in 7 years, but the goal is 15 or less. Been in our home just shy of 3 years now and we’ve paid a huge chuck off. The problem we’re facing though is what others have mentioned, the property tax burden will probably force us out of this area at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For those of you facing property tax issues and own some acreage, look into whether or not your state offers any kind of agricultural development exemptions. My property is classified as a commercial tree farm and I pay next to nothing in property taxes. Every state/jurisdiction is different, I'm sure.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Whatever you think of the current housing market, it's pretty much here to stay...

My wife and I are realtors in south Florida. She has been doing residential real estate for about 12 years and I have been doing commercial for about 6 although the last year or so has been primarily residential as well.

To say the market has been good to us and others in similar situations is an understatement.

Right before covid we bought 4 houses for investment. We were in the process of converting them into duplexes and triplexes to rent out. When covid hit we panicked over the mortgage payments and tried to sell with no buyers. We thought we were done for.

Fast forward a few months and the housing market took off like crazy. All units are rented for top dollar and we are getting cash offers to buy the places in some cases 2.5x what we paid for them, all cash. We did sell 2 of them and turned around to buy 4 condos.

I am explaining our situation because WHO is buying these houses is the problem. Blackrock is one of these outfits along with invitation homes and several others. Most of these are REIT funds where people pool their funds for investment real estate. Some large, like blackrock, some small like a large family.

Their huge advantage is cash. Without worrying about getting loans to pay over-estimate they are just crushing normal home buyers. That’s the reality and every agent knows this. Families looking to buy a home face an uphill battle and are losing.

What no one is talking about is the huge consolidation in the marketing of homes. Zillow is buying up MLS’s across the country. When you list a property on the MLS now and it is published to Zillow the buyer is presented with an agent to contact. Its NOT the listing agent, but a Zillow employee or contractor.

This is a HUGE problem for all involved, especially the buyer.

Zillow charges large fees across the board; the agent, buyer, seller, etc., increasing the closing costs dramatically. In one case we observed they charged 2% in fees on a 600k house. That’s 12k for absolutely nothing. They make it impossible to contact the listing agent directly and we have seen firsthand buyers having their agents call the Zillow agent only to be told they do not work with other agents. They are basically telling buyers to fire their agent, work with the Zillow agent, pay more fees and have less tools for negotiation.

In the end, the buyer pays more, the seller gets less and the agent makes a pittance salary.

This is in addition to Zillow buying up houses themselves BEFORE the house is even presented for public sale. In those cases, you don’t even have a chance. It’s like trying to win the lottery without buying a ticket.

Zillow is crushing the market for everyone. There are several lawsuits in process right now going after the MLS and Zillow for this.

As far as a market “crash”… not gonna happen. This is not the same as 2008. There are no subprime mortgages. No derivative swaps happening. The market got this way because of what you have all seen. Joe Blow in NY sells his house for 1M at a huge profit. He comes down to FL and pays $500k cash for a $450k house. He enjoys nicer weather, lower taxes and no mortgage so has zero incentive to sell.

How will this end? The thought is that interest rates will go up, forcing lower housing prices. If you all recall in the 70’s when the producer price index finally made its way into the consumer price index and inflation went crazy interest rates shot up. Feds raised rates, housing went down to match and the fed burned the cash until inflation stabilized. That’s what they hope will happen again EXCEPT you now have the absolutely vast majority of owners not selling and the absolutely vast majority of buyers paying cash. Therefore no mortgages. If that happens, current housing availability will not increase. In addition, without more mortgages being taken out, inflation will stay high or even go higher. Don’t forget, the largest source of fed inflation tools are in the mortgage industry.

Less transactions = less mortgages = stagnant inflation = less transactions, etc.

What about new construction? As you all have very clearly noticed, it’s nuts. Super expensive materials, ridiculous lead times, etc. The same type of consolidation will likely happen in that market. I read a couple of posts from members in the building material industry, one whose father owns a mill. Can you ask him if he’s been approached by a developer to buy his operation? I can guarantee that they have. Likely Alliance partners or Toll brothers. They are buying up the entire supply industry to keep their operations going. What do you think will happen when these companies own everything? That local home builder? Crushed due to material cost or just the complete lack of it as the developer is hoarding it all. Loans? Forget it. Ever try to buy a developer’s house? They have their own lending agencies and set their own ridiculous terms.

Even ACE hardware is expanding their building materials. They are snapping up suppliers and not even offering these products to their retail customers or even small home builders. Google it. It’s a paradigm shift for the company and the home builders that no one even knows about.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom, but this will only get worse. Not just the near term, but for decades and likely a generation. As crappy as it sounds, it’s still the best time to buy because tomorrow will be even worse.

If you are in south Florida and have any real estate questions, I’ll be happy to help a fellow member out. This isn’t a commercial and I’m not trying to pimp myself out. I’m pretty busy as it is, but I see a lot of the same pain first time home buyers are going through that we did and my wife and I do try to help as much as possible. Sometime a 15 minute phone call can ease one’s mind much better than a Google search.

Good luck all!
    Last edited by Bluto; 06-12-21 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    above post AKA the great reset you will own nothing and be happy !

well the you will own nothing will be true

also homes are generational wealth and often how wealth is passed down if they take that out of the equation game over !

was just chatting about blackrock last night with a buddy ! where they are buying up complete communities at times

still debating about heading over to portugal and having a nice vacation home

I do think we are going to see a housing crash but the amount of drop will be small compared to how much it has gone up

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    Some states freeze the property tax at age 65 so that you continue to pay what you paid at 65 but increases in value do not cause the taxes to go up (and tax-price you out of your home). These freezes are generally specific to primary residences and not investment properties and often not for adjunct properties belonging to the residential -- ie, a hay field adjacent to the residential property, both owned and considered one proerty by the owner, wouldn't be frozen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    Here in Tennessee counties can choose to allow property owners ages 65 and older to freeze their taxes at current levels. That's been since 2006. No problems with sustainability, even with all the Covid nonsense. IIRC, our county budget shortfall during the midst of the pandemic was a mere $70 per capita. Peanuts. Anyway... the idea is to not burden those who are retired with limited income during their remaining years above dirt. Do ya really wanna squeeze some poor elderly guy on SS for additional property taxes? The good people of Hamilton County answered, no. Income limits are by county, they range from 30-55k. For those who wish to pay higher property taxes they're free to not apply. They can pay higher taxes on increased assessed property values if it helps them sleep better at night. We're very accommodating.
    I misunderstood the "freeze" part. In our area they are tax free up to $250,000 of value on their primary residence.

Feedback Score
    friend in Naples FL just bought a house last year and they just sold it made $400k
    figured they will just go build another
    they are big money real estate already so know who how what kinda thing to do it again

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Whatever you think of the current housing market, it's pretty much here to stay...

My wife and I are realtors in south Florida. She has been doing residential real estate for about 12 years and I have been doing commercial for about 6 although the last year or so has been primarily residential as well.

To say the market has been good to us and others in similar situations is an understatement.

Right before covid we bought 4 houses for investment. We were in the process of converting them into duplexes and triplexes to rent out. When covid hit we panicked over the mortgage payments and tried to sell with no buyers. We thought we were done for.

Fast forward a few months and the housing market took off like crazy. All units are rented for top dollar and we are getting cash offers to buy the places in some cases 2.5x what we paid for them, all cash. We did sell 2 of them and turned around to buy 4 condos.

I am explaining our situation because WHO is buying these houses is the problem. Blackrock is one of these outfits along with invitation homes and several others. Most of these are REIT funds where people pool their funds for investment real estate. Some large, like blackrock, some small like a large family.

Their huge advantage is cash. Without worrying about getting loans to pay over-estimate they are just crushing normal home buyers. That’s the reality and every agent knows this. Families looking to buy a home face an uphill battle and are losing.

What no one is talking about is the huge consolidation in the marketing of homes. Zillow is buying up MLS’s across the country. When you list a property on the MLS now and it is published to Zillow the buyer is presented with an agent to contact. Its NOT the listing agent, but a Zillow employee or contractor.

This is a HUGE problem for all involved, especially the buyer.

Zillow charges large fees across the board; the agent, buyer, seller, etc., increasing the closing costs dramatically. In one case we observed they charged 2% in fees on a 600k house. That’s 12k for absolutely nothing. They make it impossible to contact the listing agent directly and we have seen firsthand buyers having their agents call the Zillow agent only to be told they do not work with other agents. They are basically telling buyers to fire their agent, work with the Zillow agent, pay more fees and have less tools for negotiation.

In the end, the buyer pays more, the seller gets less and the agent makes a pittance salary.

This is in addition to Zillow buying up houses themselves BEFORE the house is even presented for public sale. In those cases, you don’t even have a chance. It’s like trying to win the lottery without buying a ticket.

Zillow is crushing the market for everyone. There are several lawsuits in process right now going after the MLS and Zillow for this.

As far as a market “crash”… not gonna happen. This is not the same as 2008. There are no subprime mortgages. No derivative swaps happening. The market got this way because of what you have all seen. Joe Blow in NY sells his house for 1M at a huge profit. He comes down to FL and pays $500k cash for a $450k house. He enjoys nicer weather, lower taxes and no mortgage so has zero incentive to sell.

How will this end? The thought is that interest rates will go up, forcing lower housing prices. If you all recall in the 70’s when the producer price index finally made its way into the consumer price index and inflation went crazy interest rates shot up. Feds raised rates, housing went down to match and the fed burned the cash until inflation stabilized. That’s what they hope will happen again EXCEPT you now have the absolutely vast majority of owners not selling and the absolutely vast majority of buyers paying cash. Therefore no mortgages. If that happens, current housing availability will not increase. In addition, without more mortgages being taken out, inflation will stay high or even go higher. Don’t forget, the largest source of fed inflation tools are in the mortgage industry.

Less transactions = less mortgages = stagnant inflation = less transactions, etc.

What about new construction? As you all have very clearly noticed, it’s nuts. Super expensive materials, ridiculous lead times, etc. The same type of consolidation will likely happen in that market. I read a couple of posts from members in the building material industry, one whose father owns a mill. Can you ask him if he’s been approached by a developer to buy his operation? I can guarantee that they have. Likely Alliance partners or Toll brothers. They are buying up the entire supply industry to keep their operations going. What do you think will happen when these companies own everything? That local home builder? Crushed due to material cost or just the complete lack of it as the developer is hoarding it all. Loans? Forget it. Ever try to buy a developer’s house? They have their own lending agencies and set their own ridiculous terms.

Even ACE hardware is expanding their building materials. They are snapping up suppliers and not even offering these products to their retail customers or even small home builders. Google it. It’s a paradigm shift for the company and the home builders that no one even knows about.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom, but this will only get worse. Not just the near term, but for decades and likely a generation. As crappy as it sounds, it’s still the best time to buy because tomorrow will be even worse.

If you are in south Florida and have any real estate questions, I’ll be happy to help a fellow member out. This isn’t a commercial and I’m not trying to pimp myself out. I’m pretty busy as it is, but I see a lot of the same pain first time home buyers are going through that we did and my wife and I do try to help as much as possible. Sometime a 15 minute phone call can ease one’s mind much better than a Google search.

Good luck all!
    At some point no one other than large investors buy homes. Then what? Blackrock is going to be in the business of renting houses? Or sitting on unsold inventory? Eventually normal people simply won’t be able or willing to afford the property that these outfits are scooping up.

In 2008 everyone thought the hull market on housing would last forever too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Even ACE hardware is expanding their building materials. They are snapping up suppliers and not even offering these products to their retail customers or even small home builders. Google it. It’s a paradigm shift for the company and the home builders that no one even knows about
    I'm courted by Ace quarterly to join their co-op. Lumber is a big part of my business. Do you have a link related to this? I've attempted to Google and have found zilch.

I am currently a member of the Do-It-Best co-op and we crush ACE in the LBM world with about double the lumber sales that Ace has. Home Depot sold 11 billion dollars of lumber in 2020.. that is nearly the amount of TOTAL sales (all categories) that Ace and Do-it-Best had in 2020. To put it in perspective, Ace and Do-It-Bests total wholesale dollars in lumber was about 1.2 billion.

Ace is awash in debt, but 2020 did strengthen them. I haven't joined them because I was part of the True Value debacle that ended badly and Ace's finances look awfully familiar to those True Value had before they were bought up by an investment firm. Do-It-Best, even though it doesn't have the same national recognition, operates incredibly efficiently and even in Alaska they are able to provide me with lumber pricing that I actually have zero issues competing with Depot, Lowes, or the local pro yards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    At some point no one other than large investors buy homes. Then what? Blackrock is going to be in the business of renting houses? Or sitting on unsold inventory? Eventually normal people simply won’t be able or willing to afford the property that these outfits are scooping up.

In 2008 everyone thought the hull market on housing would last forever too.
    yes renting think shorting housing market like stock and controlling pricing so regular guy has no chance

remember they have almost $9 trillion in assets !

also hedge against market collapse some are saying is going to happen ? and of course massive control of people many hedgies are about power they have the money but power is huge to them

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    For those of you facing property tax issues and own some acreage, look into whether or not your state offers any kind of agricultural development exemptions. My property is classified as a commercial tree farm and I pay next to nothing in property taxes. Every state/jurisdiction is different, I'm sure.
    My wife’s parents live in Florida and homesteaded their property 20+ years ago. Great option that has saved them a lot of money in taxes over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    All part of the Great Reset. You’ll nothing and you’ll like it.
    And you'll LIVE where THEY tell you to.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast