As I recover from a shoulder injury I have kind of been improving my exercise and nutrition. I weigh about the same as I have since the Marine Corps, but let's just say that it is distributed a little differently.

Just some background. I am getting a little more cardio. Previously I just counted on my somewhat strenuous job for that. However, as I moved up the food chain that got the be less and less rigorous. I'm changing my lifting as well. Used to lift sporadically, but heavy/low reps. More cause I liked doing it than any real effort to stay in shape. Now I'm lifting pretty light. Especially with the shoulder. Like 3-5 sets of 20-30 reps with pretty light weight but still getting muscle fatigue. As I heal more (doc don't want me lifting heavy for a while yet) I will move back towards more weight lower reps. Probably not all the way back to my old 2-3 sets of 4-6 reps with as much weight as I can move. Doc says that ain't good for older joints.

My question is more about feeding. I'm hearing that older guys need between .5 to 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight just to maintain muscle as our bodies age. More if you want to make gains and reverse the "dad bod" process.

Thing is though that I also see a lot of conflicting info about protein absorption. I see 5g to 20g/serving up to "as much as you want". I understand protein can be metabolized into glucose so maybe "too much" is basically like eating sugars. Just trying to figure out what is good info.