Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gas block for 11.5" Colt FBI barrel

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The SLR adjustable gas block is a good one, but the cross pin grooves complicates installation. Yes, you could use a clamp on. The problem with clamp on blocks is the angle of the cross screws changes as they're tightened, placing stress on the shank. This stress increases the chance of the screws breaking. I know there are guys who haven't had a screw yet break. But, it has happened to others.

I have an SLR adjustable gas block and it works well. Problem is, I no longer need it. My suppressed ARs are never shot without a suppressor. At first, I swapped suppressors around, changing the gas settings as needed, but it took just one range session to realize it's not worth the trouble. Since BRT introduced their Micro Ports and EZ Tune gas tubes, adjustable gas blocks are obsolete. The AGB was only useful when experimenting and once I figured out ammo, gas flow & buffers, I don't play with the adjustments any more.

coolcraigster, your barrel already has the best possible gas block- the FSB and it can be easily cut down.

I have a Colt 6933 11.5" upper. I removed the the FSB, installed a BRT micro port tuned for 100% suppressor use with 5.56 ammo and using an H2 or A5H2 buffer. I chopped the FSB and have been very happy with it ever since. If you don't want to use a Micro Port, use an EZ Tune gas tube.
    Yeah I thought about shaving down the FSB. I just wanted the ability to adjust when running with and without suppressor. Im still thinking about doing that. Just hate to do it to a Colt FSB...

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcraigster View Post
    Yeah I thought about shaving down the FSB. I just wanted the ability to adjust when running with and without suppressor. Im still thinking about doing that. Just hate to do it to a Colt FSB...
    The HRT barrels are already pretty close to optimally gassed for mixed use, I’d personally just chop and use as-is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    If shaving it down is an option you'll consider, it's a no-brainer. Re-purposing a FSB on a different barrel is tricky unless you have an outfit like ADCO do the install, so you might as well use what is fitted already. Bombproof, too. Then do the gp reduction kit.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcraigster View Post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123