Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like I found the next Botach: lapolicegear. Beware cheap ceramic armor plates

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There was a video in the "Plate" thread showing excellent results on these. I wonder if they restocked with a different batch.

I picked up a pair of the original offering, but haven't done anything with them. Plates are largely impractical for civilians, and my carrier is loaded with good soft panels.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    That Hesco plate failed an edge hit. Well to be fair that hesco plate failed half of its hits.

Shoot the plate yourself. $100 isn't worth it to validate your fears?

I hate to say it; but you bought hobby grade gear, with professional expectations and have done none of your own testing.

Hardly LAPG's fault.
    Dude, are you associated with LAPG or these plates in any way? You've failed to address any of the points I've made and you seem awfully invested in making excuses for them for a guy not personally involved.

LAPG sold flawed shit and marketed it as lifesaving equipment. You don't morally get to do that and then claim "Not my responsibility, people should have known better than to trust me."

I'm personally annoyed, but nothing more. $200 isn't going to break me. I'm posting this to warn other people off of their shit because of all the positive reviews it's gotten. According to the professionals I trust on the subject, covering up to the sternal notch is very important and this plate can't do that. Simple as that. How much shit it can stop doesn't even matter if it can't cover all the basic vitals.

Why is this even contentious for anyone? Makes no sense.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I re-read your concerns and see what you're saying now. It's not the performance, but the coverage of vital areas. Good to know. for those using these.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I'll draw attention to the following diagram. This is what a plate must cover to do its job. Imagine one inch with no ballistic coverage at the top of the plate, and then come down another half inch or so to account for the 'edge performance issue' of the ceramic.

Last edited by Aries144; 06-12-21 at 12:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I re-read your concerns and see what you're saying now. It's not the performance, but the coverage of vital areas. Good to know. for those using these.
    That's it man. That's all I'm saying, ha.

I really hate communication via text like this. Humans aren't made for it. No tone and too much room for misinterpretation. Not mention that we all aren't the best at reading comprehension or effective written communication.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There was a video in the "Plate" thread showing excellent results on these. I wonder if they restocked with a different batch.

I picked up a pair of the original offering, but haven't done anything with them. Plates are largely impractical for civilians, and my carrier is loaded with good soft panels.
    You can push an icepick into the side of the plate and see how deep the foam goes.

Buy good shit. Not the best you can afford. You can either afford it, or not.
    Last edited by 1168; 06-12-21 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I neither like nor dislike LAPG. I have bought some stuff from them before and have been pleased, but it takes forever in a day to ship and their customer service has been less than stellar.

That said, I agree with you with the lack of documentation on their part regarding the plates, and with the issue regarding true size.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I think you are finding an issue where there isn't one....

1" foam edge. Please show me a plate that has proven edge performance? I would like to know. MOST plates; even the good ones, struggle with edge hits. Even AR500 struggle with edge hits......
    Invested much?

Yeah, plates 'struggle' with edge hits.... at least they HAVE an edge to hit, instead of however much foam before you get to the ACTUAL edge of the plate which will then 'struggle'. Ergo, the lost critical performance area on these plates is actually GREATER than simply dropping from 10x12 to 8x10, as the actual edge now starts at 8x10, and works it's way in to wherever and edge hit will cease to 'struggle' to be contained. So, I may as well just buy 8x10 plates from any other manufacturer and save some weight while I'm at it...

**Edit, apparently Aries beat me to this explanation...
    Apparently M193 and M855A1 slip right through L210's. Was the speed high? Sure. But the LAPG plates you don't seem to care for, handled the threats just fine.
    The L210s are also a 1/2 inch 'special threat' plate (apparently already with some known/rumored issues against certain rounds), the LAPGs are what, twice that thick? No johns it had issues with an oddball 22" barrel @45 feet...
    Your comparison is invalid. By that logic, I could say that you should all buy Shotstop Poly plates as they will stop 338LM out of a 26" barrel, even though they fail the BFD standards for that round... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du27HvgtOt4)

If it was against other armor of similar weight/thickness/price and outperformed a closer match to itself, I would be inclined to give this comparison more credence, as I would bet against a more realistic competitor you'd see about equal results. In which case, the issue simply comes back to to original issues with false advertising and lack of proper coverage (which should still disqual the LAPG plate from serious use, regardless of the price OR performance).

(For the record, I am not a 'fan' of the L210s and don't own any, and if they really are having legitimate issues stopping advertised rated rounds, they need to be fixed/pulled from the market like the old 3610s. I simply think matching them with the LAPGs for a head to head comparison is BS.)

>>Edit 2 - in the video Turnburglar linked for the L210 test, at 18:23 you can see the plate material goes all the way to the stated width of plate, with Hesco's usual extremely thin foam side strips. Compare with the LAPG for a very simple pictoral explanation of what the issue is here.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 06-12-21 at 13:55.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That stinks. Appreciate the warning as with the price drops I was seriously considering a set of these. The CCP manufacturing is one thing, but having foam as the protection of the upper area of the plate is not my cup of tea. Given that most carriers Ive played with end up sagging some, that area end up covering some seriously vital areas.

Not quite sure, aside from corner cutting, why one needs foam around the top abs angled surfaces. Who puts their plates down upside down to need that protection??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Also, the Guard Dog Body Armor plates plates that sell for more look awfully similar. I think I'd be very careful with those as well.

Where's DocGKR? Is he still doing armor testing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast