Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust on new uppers.

Feedback Score

Rust on new uppers.

I bought 2 upper receiver groups from BCM awhile ago. A 16” middy, and an 11.5” carbine. I wiped the outsides down when they arrived (they come soaked in G96). Wrapped them in their bubble wrap, and stowed them in a big plastic storage tote where I keep spare parts/build parts. Probably not the smartest idea, but it wasn’t supposed to be long term.

Anyways, I’m assembling the lowers for them this weekend. I just pulled them out And noticed a light coating on rust on the roll pins, dust cover, and gas block screws. The barrels look fine, as well as the gas blocks themselves (still a light coat of oil on them).

Is this going to be of any harm? I’m considering pulling the handguards and replacing the gas block screws. I doubt that would be fun, but I hate seeing rust on brand new guns. These upper groups were $800 a piece. Another thing, I did put a good drop of ALG go-juice oil on each gas block screw. If I choose not to replace them, is this oil going to creep down the threads and compromise the threadlocker they use at the factory?

Thanks yall. I feel like an idiot, one of those things where you should have known better.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Clean off any residual surface rust with a brass brush and give it a wipe down with oil. It was probly just a little humid inside the tote you stored it in. You shouldn’t have to worry about the oil compromising the thread locker too much as long as the threads were clean when the thread locker was applied and it was allowed to dry. The thread locker will actually act as a sealant for the threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I also would not wrap uppers or any firearms in bubble wrap. Good way to keep moisture in.
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 06-12-21 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    An old rag, CLP, and some elbow grease should take care of it.

I left a 10/22 in a padded soft case a few decades back, and it pitted the crap out of the outside of the blued barrel. Lesson learned.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Personally I would never use plastic, but there are some plastic long term storage bags just for firearms, such as this...

https://www.amazon.com/Zerust-Anti-C...language=en_US

https://www.amazon.com/Victory-VCI-R...language=en_US

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Cor...language=en_US

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    An old rag, CLP, and some elbow grease should take care of it.

I left a 10/22 in a padded soft case a few decades back, and it pitted the crap out of the outside of the blued barrel. Lesson learned.
    A toothbrush and CLP do a good job on the screws and pins.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Rust on new uppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    I also wound not wrap uppers or any firearms in bubble wrap. Good way to keep moisture in.
    How about keeping them inside silicone socks?
    I keep my guns in them, but they are never for long time storage as I shoot my guns regularly and clean them after.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    How about keeping them inside silicone socks?
    I keep my guns in them, but they are never for long time storage as I shoot my guns regularly and clean them after.
    I don't know. But is it works for you then all good.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Rust on new uppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    I don't know. But is it works for you then all good.
    I believe storing guns in Silicone socks is a common thing.
    I know I replied to your comment, but I didn’t mean to direct the question at you. Sorry. It was more for anyone who uses them, and to hear others’ opinions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    I believe storing guns in Silicone socks is a common thing.
    I know I replied to your comment, but I didn’t mean to direct the question at you. Sorry. It was more for anyone who uses them, and to hear others’ opinions.
    No biggie. I store all but 4 of my guns in safes in my basement. I don't have any issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast