Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One off parts machine shop? Who do I call?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadelic View Post
    I'm a machinist and am curious about the parts you need made. I may be able to help you with both parts, depending on how complicated one of them is. I work at a small CNC shop and could possibly work on a "personal" project off the clock.

I also have a friend with his own shop that may be able to do the more complicated part.

I may be able to provide the material for the parts from left over "drops" of various alloys we have on hand. Any idea what type of steel you want? Post or PM me some pics and more details if you're interested.
    Can I email you pictures?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by landrvrnut22 View Post
    What’s your location? I have 2 lathes and a mill as part of my home shop.
    Pa

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Please tell us you aren't trying to convert an airsoft gun.
    Yes and it's almost done i can hand cycle the slide with the parts I've made. I've been working on this project for some time actually. However, it's been on hold for a long time because local shops didn't want to replicate some of my parts. One part is complex and I don't have a CAD drawing of it. It still needs a lot of work but if I can get these parts made the rest is mostly easy.
    Last edited by Twilk73; 06-14-21 at 06:43.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    Pa

Yes and it's almost done i can hand cycle the slide with the parts I've made. I've been working on this project for some time actually. However, it's been on hold for a long time because local shops didn't want to replicate some of my parts. One part is complex and I don't have a CAD drawing of it. It still needs a lot of work but if I can get these parts made the rest is mostly easy.
    Are you using a Glock pistol??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mostly, some modified Glock parts and a home made housing to house the trigger bar and what not. The slide is a Glock 17 all oe and the barrel is a wolf 10" I'm getting cut down eventually. I hade to sand the inside of the grip for mags to slid in and out. I haven't worked on this project in over a year so I've literally got to evaluate what needs done yet. I know the biggest hurdles right now are getting these parts machined. Trigger works and slide will rack but if I tried to shoot I'm sure it would break.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Can I email you pictures?
    Sure. PM sent.
    Honor Necessity

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Mostly, some modified Glock parts and a home made housing to house the trigger bar and what not. The slide is a Glock 17 all oe and the barrel is a wolf 10" I'm getting cut down eventually. I hade to sand the inside of the grip for mags to slid in and out. I haven't worked on this project in over a year so I've literally got to evaluate what needs done yet. I know the biggest hurdles right now are getting these parts machined. Trigger works and slide will rack but if I tried to shoot I'm sure it would break.
    If using a Glock pistol receiver you may be dancing on a very sharp edge.. I don't think there is a circumstance where putting a stock on a pistol is legal. There has to be a reason why it is taking ZEV soo long to get them on the market.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You're right that's why it's already been stamped. I've been working on this for a few years now off and on. If I knew Zev was making one I wouldn't have started this project. The two fmg9's I bought from eBay cost $1300 combined.

Also I'm not using a Glock lower just parts of the trigger and action block.
    Last edited by Twilk73; 06-14-21 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There are places like protolabs.com

The problem I think you’re going to run into is I don’t know if places like this do the cad drawing for you from a sample. I think you’re going to have to goto an engineering firm who will write a cad file that you give to the machine shop. It’s also super expensive.

I went through all this recently. Starting a pen company. I did hand mechanical drawings. An engineering firm did the cad and rapid proto types. The pen was going to be made of titanium. We needed a prototype before production. Protolanguage quoted over 1800$ for a pen I’m having made for 35$ a piece in America. If you are going the CNC route development cost is the same weather you make 1 or 1,000,000.

Maybe look to someone who could do it the old school way on Bridgeport’s and will just wing it off your sample?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You're right that's why it's already been stamped. I've been working on this for a few years now off and on. If I knew Zev was making one I wouldn't have started this project. The two fmg9's I bought from eBay cost $1300 combined.

Also I'm not using a Glock lower just parts of the trigger and action block.
    I apologize for furthering the thread drift, but...

You are not changing a pistol to a rifle but building a new firearm that happens to be a registered SBR, correct? I'm purely curious.

I have to admire you for building something you want because it was not available to buy.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 06-15-21 at 07:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I apologize for furthering the thread drift, but...

You are not changing a pistol to a rifle but building a new firearm that happens to be a registered SBR, correct? I'm purely curious.

I have to admire you for building something you want because it was not available to buy.

Andy
    Correct, it's and SBR. I actually got my inspiration from a guy on AR-15.com that thread has been archived but he helped me out immensely. The difference between me and him. He had access to a mil. His gun works and everything so he just told me what I needed to do and what problems id run into. If I get these parts made everything else is easy. I think I'm going to take the to a school and see if a CAD class will draw them or something for. I took CAD in collage but that was almost 20 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12