Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon light position

Feedback Score

Weapon light position

Aside from fouling on a weapon light, is there any reason to keep them away from a muzzle device? Can it cause any sort of accuracy issue? I have seen a lot of photos of lights right beside the muzzle device and always wondered.

I usually run Mossie style mounts or pistol lights mounted on the top rail and I am using a scout light for the first time on a long handguard, which gives me the space to get the light out far toward the muzzle device. Do you guys see any issue with my mounting below or should I move it slightly back?

40FB7694-E124-44F2-A434-2213AE927D54.jpeg

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

9/10/11 o' clock and... done.

Quality lenses wipe clean easily.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I had a x300 lense come loose after use on a SBS close to the muzzle. The lense was still in the bezel, but it would spin freely. SF fixed it for free.
    Ever since then I've tried to keep them away from muzzle blast as far as practical on all guns.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    On your above pic, I would move the light one rail slot backwards to be certain that the expanding muzzle blast gases have a little more room to dissipate before blowing across the lights lens. A blast can/ diverter on anything less than a 14” bbl isn’t a bad option to force all the unburned powder straight forward and away from anything close the the fh. There is no perfect clocking position for a light. Pick the position that you are comfortable and capable of operating the light with, that doesn’t obstruct any of your view or sights from a strong side firing position and one that adequately illuminates the target.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    That light will get blasted by the BCM comp. It should hold up ok but if you put a ton of rounds through it, I wouldn't be surprised if the lens come loose. Even if not, it'll get caked in carbon. I align my bezel so its flush with the end of the handguard. It causes a bit more shadow but I don't have to clean the lens as much and it leaves enough muzzle exposed that I can push it through narrow barricade slots like on a VTAC.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    With the light not being QD, I've found covering the lens with a Butler Creek scope cover protects the lens from the blast and keeps the lens clean when you don't need the light.

If you set the cover so it opens to the lower outside it is easy and quick to open with your thumb over the top of the rail and it stays out of the way of the sights.

A big plus with the BC cover is that it will allow enough light through when closed that you can see any trip hazards when moving and you don't burn your night vision. It will also keep the light from being a bright target indicator when you are in the dark, pointing the muzzle toward a lit area.

MJNessler

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I had an EFAB pockmark my SF dual fuel. I assumed it was because of the small ports, not sure if it would be the same with larger ports, I keep my lights off my MDs now.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score

Mine is mounted about the same. The light gets a lot dirtier since I installed the VG6 MD but so far the lens has cleaned up ok. I picked up a Monstrom flip up lens cover to protect the light, we'll soon find out if it can survive the muzzle blast.
    Last edited by Black_Sheep; 06-13-21 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP I have that same light mounted on my 10.3" 5.56 and it's basically flush with the end of the A2 flash hider. No problems yet but it's only been about 500 rounds. Easy to clean too.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN1957 View Post
    With the light not being QD, I've found covering the lens with a Butler Creek scope cover protects the lens from the blast and keeps the lens clean when you don't need the light.

If you set the cover so it opens to the lower outside it is easy and quick to open with your thumb over the top of the rail and it stays out of the way of the sights.

A big plus with the BC cover is that it will allow enough light through when closed that you can see any trip hazards when moving and you don't burn your night vision. It will also keep the light from being a bright target indicator when you are in the dark, pointing the muzzle toward a lit area.

MJNessler
    That’s a really good idea, thanks for the tip 👍

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast