Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Build by Retro Arms Works - John Thomas

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

New Build by Retro Arms Works - John Thomas

TLDR: John Thomas of Retro Arms Works is an outstanding person, has excellent customer service, and builds awesome uppers!

EDITED TO ADD: Retro Arms Works doesn’t do advertising. It’s literally been word of mouth and reviews from people who have used his services. I get nothing out of this other than helping out a guy who takes great pride in his work. One other thing I will add, there is in a fact an off menu list of things that can be done, I highly recommend you ask for the “magic”.

I’m not much of a “reviewer” of firearms and/or builds. I just kinda go with what I like.

A few weeks back I received my MK12 MOD1 upper from High Caliber Sales. This puts me at 5 MK12 and 1 RECCE upper. Yes, I really do like the SPR.

Within that time, I began contemplating I need to update at least on of my MK12 uppers. To what? I haven’t the slightest clue. Parts and pieces pretty much can’t be found in stock. The manufacturers that I like to use have no idea when they’re going to be available. The company I have used the most has really just went and shit the bed with their changes and quality (Colt).

I began searching for upper receivers. Finally hit pay dirt with Weapon Outfitters. They had uppers in stock but I don’t know who any of them are. I only recognized 1 name out of the dozen or so that they had (Aero). However there was one upper that caught my eye and I focused on that one. The only reason for that focus was the aesthetics of it. The lines were great, color was deep black, port door was a minimalist type. It just looked awesome.

Off to the net to search for V Seven…….

Once I read up on them, where they came from, who they worked with, their attention to detail, and the material they use; I bought 2 uppers, 2 rails, and a barrel. For those of you who haven’t used V7 parts, check them out. The machining, build, lines, material are some of the best I’ve seen. Yes, I’m an aesthetics guy, but I also like function at the top.

I took one of my older, less used, put away for emergencies MK12 uppers and came up with a concept. Now to look for some one to put it all together. Sure, I could probably do it, but with my OCD I wouldn’t be happy with the build. Scopes and optics mounting, no problem, staking a castle nut, no problem, building an upper……meh.

Retro Arms Works - John Thomas was the talk on a lot of different gun forums. Some I’m a member of and others I just peruse. Doing some googling, I found hundreds of positive reviews. I figured what the hell, let’s email the guy. I emailed John at 1813 on a Sunday and received a response at 1915 that same day.

I gave a list of what I would like to have done, John confirmed everything with me, let me know his capabilities and what he offers. Sent me a price list for my build request and everything was set in motion. This whole thing took less than 10 minutes to iron out and get setup.

Parts package was sent 6/22/2021, 2 day service USPS. It actually got there a day early. I’ve read a lot of reviews about the fast turn around times with RAW. Some of the comments I read I was kinda like…nah that’s BS. Let me say that the package was received on 6/23/2021 at 1300ish. I got the notification at 1615 that my upper is completed and in the mail on 6/23/2021.

I had particular requests with this build, John didn’t miss a beat. This was my first time using RAW, and the experience has been absolutely awesome. There’s another package on the way for a build.

This build consists of: V Seven GI upper, V Seven keymod 16.5” rail, Douglas SPR barrel, Deadair keymo muzzle device, Colt BCG, Vltor CH, ATLAS bipod, KAC BUIS, and Nightforce 2.5-10x24 MOAR in an A496 mount.

Pictures because I suck at reviewing…….

Deadair keymo

V7 16.5” Keymod rail 2099 lithium aluminum

Anti-rotation pin between upper and rail - gas tube on bottom, pin on top

Diamond FA

V Seven GI upper

Keymod pic rail section with Atlas bipod

Last edited by davidjinks; 07-02-21 at 09:31.

Feedback Score
    Damn nice!!

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Why thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    Damn nice!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That is slick! I really like that, congratulations!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What made you decide to go Keymod?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    No real reason. I have Mlok and keymod rails and never had a preference. I guess they both just work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    What made you decide to go Keymod?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Thanks!

I’m really liking the rail. Small diameter, feels exceptionally solid, low deflection when loading my bipod.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    That is slick! I really like that, congratulations!
    Last edited by davidjinks; 07-02-21 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Thanks!

I’m really liking the rail. Small diameter, feels exceptionally solid, low deflection when loading my bipod.
    I also like the look of that rail, especially how the Pickateny is scalloped, that is bad ass.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    That’s what caught my eye when I saw the upper, that and the port door.

The attention to detail on their parts are solid. One example being the dry film lubricant used inside the upper. One of the most uniform applications of that I’ve seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    I also like the look of that rail, especially how the Pickateny is scalloped, that is bad ass.
    Last edited by davidjinks; 07-03-21 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle. I mailed out a barrel to drill and mount an M2 front sight base to Retro Arms Works this past Monday and got it back to today. Very quick service and excellent work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast