Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please assess my Brn-180 and AR HDR

Feedback Score

Please assess my Brn-180 and AR HDR

Please assess my Brn-180 before the Brownells, proper lower comes in and I apply the folding stock. PSA Gremlin rollmarked lower, all Geisselle internals, Geisselle mag catch and G-trigger, Aero Precision Lower parts kit, absolute cowitness Scalarworks and "military grade" Holosun dual power MRD and fixed front and back iron sights, the rear is elevation and windage adjustable and co-witnessed optic.

I will be changing to all black furniture, a Zhukov or classic Ar180 folding buttstock, Brownells Brn pistol grip and grey Okay mags with the BrN-180 lower.

Should I go old school with iron sights only and an ar180 replica folding buttstock?

My AR15 home defense rifle is a PSA lower, SS polished milspec trigger, Aero lower parts kit, B5, SL grip, PSA 14.5 pinned and welded to 16.1, Streamlight and Holosun dual power on a cowitness Scalarworks.

10 years in the Outback and out of focus with new products...bear with me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really like them, and as long as they run reliable and your happy that is what is #1

As far as going old school with your BRN-180 I like shooting with Iron's only but I will also have a Red Dot or LPVO on a QD mount so I can use it for a backup to all my other backups. 🤣

Cool rifles, hope ya get years of enjoyment outta them!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’d add a sling for retention. Also, I’m not saying you haven’t, but...training.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’d add a sling for retention. Also, I’m not saying you haven’t, but...training.
    I chose not to put a sling on a HDR to not get tangled up in one and to keep it as slick as possible, even without folding BUIS.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdYbqdjp/

10 years in the Outback and out of focus with new products...bear with me.
    Last edited by Rrotz; 06-14-21 at 07:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If ya have the time and a extra sling, try using Ranger bands to hold the sling down, that will keep it slick while still having the option of slinging the rifle just encase.

I also get the idea of without a sling, stuff can get hung up but give it a shot. I have a couple extra Ranger bands if you wanted to try it I could drop in the mail for ya.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    I really like them, and as long as they run reliable and your happy that is what is #1

As far as going old school with your BRN-180 I like shooting with Iron's only but I will also have a Red Dot or LPVO on a QD mount so I can use it for a backup to all my other backups.

Cool rifles, hope ya get years of enjoyment outta them!
    Their other friends include...

Last edited by Rrotz; 06-14-21 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrotz View Post
    Their other friends include...

AWESOME!!!! You have a nice collection, I really need to get myself a M1A or M14 that is one Rifle I have always wanted but for some reason never got. That needs to change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    AWESOME!!!! You have a nice collection, I really need to get myself a M1A or M14 that is one Rifle I have always wanted but for some reason never got. That needs to change.
    I have ranger bands, thanks buddy! My thought on a sling on a home defense rifle is that the cops are going to be coming on their way and I don't want to have a rifle at the ready or slung when they arrive on scene. I'm going to cover any intruders or home invaders that are down while I'm on the phone with 911 and ensure 911 knows I'm armed and tell me when to put the rifle or handgun down and present myself to the police with my hands up. I don't want to live through a defensive shooting to get shot by jumpy cops.

I'm in my mid-40's, my first real love were M14's when I was 18, I joined the Army and started out with a commercial Springfield NM. If anyone remembers MKS, the guy who rewelded USGI receivers, I bought a TRW receiver and meticulously collected National Match USGI parts and cobbled together an all TRW NM and a shot 2 Camp Perry matches, I did bad compared to the rest of the competitors but I got a trophy for participation. ;-) That led to a Harrington and Richardson reweld and rebuild and several months after I took possession of my precious M14's, I came home from duty with an ATF business card on slipped thru the door sticking out. I called the agents back and they wanted those evil rewelds back, REAL BAD. I stripped them down to the receivers only and handed them over to a JAG buddy for him to hand over to the ATF. I was the talk of the company at the time and a bit of a legend because they all got their grubby hands on them and fingerfuked them.

Long story short, I still have those 2 parts kits in a storage unit in Killeen, that gives you a hint of where I was posted......along with a 35 gun safe and 45 long guns and handguns.....a BAR, RPD, RPK's, 1919A1, FAL's, G3's, several PSL's that I bought for $350 in the day and a bunch of other AK's and AR's. I'm retired in Hawaii, actually my family home and these are my long guns here. I've got 2 M1 Carbines from the last Midway Italy imports, a FM 9mm lower and the BRN lower at the FFL for me to pick up this week, this thread will be updated.

Have a good day ya'll
    Last edited by Rrotz; 06-14-21 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrotz View Post
    I have ranger bands, thanks buddy! My thought on a sling on a home defense rifle is that the cops are going to be coming on their way and I don't want to have a rifle at the ready or slung when they arrive on scene. I'm going to cover any intruders or home invaders that are down while I'm on the phone with 911 and ensure 911 knows I'm armed and tell me when to put the rifle or handgun down and present myself to the police with my hands up. I don't want to live through a defensive shooting to get shot by jumpy cops.

I'm in my mid-40's, my first real love were M14's when I was 18, I joined the Army and started out with a commercial Springfield NM. If anyone remembers MKS, the guy who rewelded USGI receivers, I bought a TRW receiver and meticulously collected National Match USGI parts and cobbled together an all TRW NM and a shot 2 Camp Perry matches, I did bad compared to the rest of the competitors but I got a trophy for participation. ;-) That led to a Harrington and Richardson reweld and rebuild and several months after I took possession of my precious M14's, I came home from duty with an ATF business card on slipped thru the door sticking out. I called the agents back and they wanted those evil rewelds back, REAL BAD. I stripped them down to the receivers only and handed them over to a JAG buddy for him to hand over to the ATF. I was the talk of the company at the time and a bit of a legend because they all got their grubby hands on them and fingerfuked them.

Long story short, I still have those 2 parts kits in a storage unit in Killeen, that gives you a hint of where I was posted......along with a 35 gun safe and 45 long guns and handguns.....a BAR, RPD, RPK's, 1919A1, FAL's, G3's, several PSL's that I bought for $350 in the day and a bunch of other AK's and AR's. I'm retired in Hawaii, actually my family home and these are my long guns here. I've got 2 M1 Carbines from the last Midway Italy imports, a FM 9mm lower and the BRN lower at the FFL for me to pick up this week, do this thread will be updated.

Have a good day ya'll!
    It doesn't take long to take a sling off and set the rifle down.

There's also nothing that says you have to put the sling on in the first place.

What if your plan goes differently and the intruder(s) you are covering is between you and the cops/entryways?

What if, while you are on the phone (holding rifle, and holding phone), you need to open a door, turn on a light, pick something up, put pressure on an injury, etc? Rifle, phone, other-thing...you only have two hands something has to give.

Example idea (not my pic I do it better than this): You can use a BFG sling keeper on a padded BFG VCAS to keep the sling snug against the rifle and 100% shootable exactly as it is, or just grab the sling and pull to yank it free and put it on

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...nuD2Q&usqp=CAU

Feedback Score
    in my mind, the BRN-180 just has to have a folding stock, otherwise, what's the point? just my opinion, nothing more.

I installed a KNS picatinny adapter on my regular AR-15 lower, it goes on the back where the receiver end plate goes. Got a Sig folding stock, reversed the hinge, and the stock folds just nicely under the charging crank handle. The cheekweld feels a little low, though. The Sig stock attaches to the picatinny end plate. admittedly, kinda ugly how the reversed hinge sticks up, but oh well.

ETA: i also bought one of those round straight charging handles from AR180.com, but it interferes with the right-side folding stock.
    ETA2: the screw that attaches the Sig stock to the hinge is a Torx Plus IP27. not regular Torx.
    Last edited by rpoL98; 07-09-21 at 21:31.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast