Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M-LOK Handguard ideas for 14.5' midlength

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

M-LOK Handguard ideas for 14.5' midlength

Am building up 6, 14.5" midlength AR15s. For no other reason than I like to build and makes getting up the next day for work tolerable Barrels are Faxon Pencil and Gunner and Ballistics Advantage Modern 14.5s. Really like the shortened barrel length to 14.5 from 16 even if FH requires perm attachment. FHs are Yankee Hill Phantom and Strike Industries Venom. Needing 13 - 13.5" M-LOK handguards to go on them, prefer 13.5", but 13 is good to go. Have used MI G4 Combat 13.375", PSA 13.5" takeoff from another rifle and thinking of 13" ALG V3. Like to keep price south of $150 each.

Just looking for ideas to have variety. Will use a STNGR 13.5 VYPR when in stock. Did not care for AERO Precision. Strong preference for built in QD mount near receiver at 3 and 9 o'clock since that is where I like to attach sling. For example Faxon was a no-go since no integral QD mount. Don't care for extra parts on my rigs when option to avoid. Thanks for advice fellers.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    If you’re going with LW barrel, I would go with a LW rail system.

Something from V Seven would go well with your build.

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...ndguard-ar-15/

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...andguard-ar15/

Quote Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
    Am building up 6, 14.5" midlength AR15s. For no other reason than I like to build and makes getting up the next day for work tolerable Barrels are Faxon Pencil and Gunner and Ballistics Advantage Modern 14.5s. Really like the shortened barrel length to 14.5 from 16 even if FH requires perm attachment. FHs are Yankee Hill Phantom and Strike Industries Venom. Needing 13 - 13.5" M-LOK handguards to go on them, prefer 13.5", but 13 is good to go. Have used MI G4 Combat 13.375", PSA 13.5" takeoff from another rifle and thinking of 13" ALG V3. Like to keep price south of $150 each.

Just looking for ideas to have variety. Will use a STNGR 13.5 VYPR when in stock. Did not care for AERO Precision. Strong preference for built in QD mount near receiver at 3 and 9 o'clock since that is where I like to attach sling. For example Faxon was a no-go since no integral QD mount. Don't care for extra parts on my rigs when option to avoid. Thanks for advice fellers.

Feedback Score
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks gents. Those are stellar ideas. Much obliged.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    BCM MCMR for lightweight, Geissele MK16 for all around, KAC URX4 for head duty. The latter two have built in QDs with the MK16 having it in the ideal location IMO. You can also get the MK16 in tan which is a plus. There are other good options but I prefer full MLOK, not just 3,6,9 which eliminates a bunch like Centurion.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’m also fond of the URX4.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Geez how many of those recommended rails are available for under $150? I would go with LaRue LAT 13.2" for $132, arguably the best quality rail for the money out there but not sure about wait time.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Geez how many of those recommended rails are available for under $150? I would go with LaRue LAT 13.2" for $132, arguably the best quality rail for the money out there but not sure about wait time.
    None of mine, but the MCMR is close. Honestly I couldn’t name a single rail at that price off the top of my head unless we’re going to count Magpul MOE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Midwest Industries SLH is in the price range but only available in 12.625" and 14" lengths. Midwest Industries CRLW is in the same lengths, lighter but more expensive, but I've seen pretty good sales.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ordered LaRue LAT 13.2". I like that rail a lot and had not considered it. Wait time on rails and triggers is estimated at 12-weeks. I use their MBT-2S triggers in all my builds and had three already on order. I have a pile of milspec triggers I can use for builds until they come in. Also ordered an ALG 13" EMR V3X off Primary Arms for $119. Had to buy the darn proprietary barrel nut wrench from Brownells separately though. They should really create some sort of standards when it comes to barrel nut dimensions. Trying to keep the rails under $150 as I see very little in terms of value other than aesthetics. Just my opinion. Favorite M-Lok rail so far is a 13.5" off a PSA upper. Very much like the STNGR. Solid as a rock, but they do not sell this particular rail separately, only the fugly cross-cut version for $99. PSA rail mentioned is on 14.5" middy pictured below with Phantom FH. Top rifle is 16" middy with Aero Precision something or another. Do not care for those rails at all. Look like a chain link fence and feel thin.

I very much appreciate your suggestions. They have been very insightful and helpful indeed. Total build costs minus optics, but including Magpul BUIS set, assuming $150 per rail is $808 per rifle, so not bad. I build rifles for fun and pleasure as funds come available. I'll keep building and when I keel over the wife will have quite the collection to sell off. This will bring my AR15 total to 12. One will be an 18" DMR clone of some sort, they won't all be M4 clones, but this size is my favorite being able to perm attach the FH.

Last edited by hammonje; 06-16-21 at 09:33.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast