Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 x 39 Build

Feedback Score

7.62 x 39 Build

So this started out as a "hey I have a lower and a few detents, what should I do with them" build. Then ammo prices got insane and 7.62 x 39 seemed like a good choice. So this one has been a slow burn over the last 8 months or so.

Lower

Spike's Tactical Crusader - I really like the closed trigger guard and something ironic about building an AR using this lower that shoots the caliber of choice of some of our friends around the globe
    Ergo Grip
    Radian 45 Degree Safety
    Teflon coated milspec trigger (LaRue MBT 2S is on order.)
    H2 Buffer
    Magpul MOE SL stock
    BAD Mag Release
    Seekins Bolt Release
    BCM QD End Plate

Upper

Aero Stripped Upper
    RCA 7.62 BCG - Nitride
    Radian Raptor Charging Handle
    MI Combat 14" M-Lock Rail
    DEZ Arms 16" HBAR Barrell - 1:10 Twist, CLGS, Straight Fluted, .750 Gas Block (Dimpled the barrel using a KAK dimple jig)
    Spike's Gas Block
    Bootleg Gas Tube - Nitride
    KAK .30 Cal Muzzle Break

Optic - Vortex Spitfire HD Gen 2 - 3x

So far only taken to the indoor range last weekend for a function check and optic zero at 25 yards (target below) using Tula 124 gr steel case. Ejects at 3:00, bolt holds open on last round, and only had one failure to fire in 100 rounds. Primer looked to be recessed so I am chalking it up as an ammo issue. Initial impressions are this is a fun gun. Maybe not a tack driver but certainly better than most AKs chambered in the same caliber. Next weekend we go to the outdoor range and try and stretch its legs to see how it does

7.62 .jpg

Feedback Score
    Looks nice. Good to hear that you had a pretty much problem free first range experience with it. That is not always the case with 7.62x39 builds. So you used a Pmag? How may rounds were you able to get in it? I like C-Products/Duramag mags for my AR's in 7.62x39. I have also had decent experience with ASC mags as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    Looks nice. Good to hear that you had a pretty much problem free first range experience with it. That is not always the case with 7.62x39 builds. So you used a Pmag? How may rounds were you able to get in it? I like C-Products/Duramag mags for my AR's in 7.62x39. I have also had decent experience with ASC mags as well.
    Thanks! No the P-Mag was just to prop it up for the pics. I used an ASC, C-Products and two Ross mags. Wanted to try them all out. Only mag I had issues with was one of the Ross mags which did not want to go into the mag well smoothly. Something is out of spec. I shot them an email but have heard nothing back so far.

I did all the research before doing this build. Especially around gas port size, gas length and buffer weight to get a good starting point. The trigger has full power springs in it and the bolt was machined and recessed for 7.62 rounds. If I start getting light primer strikes I always have the option of putting the extended firing pin in it. But so far so good.
    Last edited by Dutch110; 06-15-21 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Thanks! No the P-Mag was just to prop it up for the pics. I used an ASC, C-Products and two Ross mags. Wanted to try them all out. Only mag I had issues with was one of the Ross mags which did not want to go into the mag well smoothly. Something is out of spec. I shot them an email but have heard nothing back so far.

I did all the research before doing this build. Especially around gas port size, gas length and buffer weight to get a good starting point. The trigger has full power springs in it and the bolt was machined and recessed for 7.62 rounds. If I start getting light primer strikes I always have the option of putting the extended firing pin in it. But so far so good.
    Sounds good. I built an 11" 7.62x39 pistol using a KAC (not KAK) barrel and BCG. The KAC barrels and BCG are specifically designed to run steel cased ammo. I initially ran into feeding problems (not chambering consistently and sometimes not stripping rounds). Tweaking the gas (Adjustable GB), tweaking the mags (Duramag and ASC) by bending the top feed lips up a little and enlarging and polishing the feed ramps did the trick. Runs great now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    and only had one failure to fire in 100 rounds. Primer looked to be recessed so I am chalking it up as an ammo issue. Initial impressions are this is a fun gun. Maybe not a tack driver but certainly better than most AKs chambered in the same caliber. Next weekend we go to the outdoor range and try and stretch its legs to see how it does
    I am betting it would do better if you fed it better ammo.

It may well be a tack driver but you just have the wrong tacks...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I am betting it would do better if you fed it better ammo.

It may well be a tack driver but you just have the wrong tacks...
    That's definitely part of my thought process too. Wanted to make sure it could successfully run steel since that is what it's going to get most of the time. After that Ill see if its worthy of brass

Feedback Score
    Update on the Ross mag issue. Shot them an email the other day and got a response today along with a ship notification that they sent a new one out to replace it. Pretty good customer service in my book.

Feedback Score
    Made it outside to the range this past weekend. I mounted a Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagle on it. First two shots in the upper left are the first shots (did a poor man's bore sighting before heading out.) The two at 6 o'clock low are my next two shots after adjusting for windage and elevation (a little too much on the last one.) The rest were after my final adjustment. I should probably back off elevation a few clicks but once I started making that big hole I got a little giddy. Overall I am very happy. This was done with steel case 122 gr fmj at 100 yards.

Feedback Score
    Nice looking build. Mine is pretty similar (Dez 18" HBAR, RCA bcg, aero upper and lower). Need to put a scope on it and see what it'll do at 100 yards. Shoots about 3 MOA with iron sights at 50, but guessing the rifle can do better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW I built an AR -39 mm upper using an 18” mid length ARD barrel, and it has proven to be sub MOA at 200-yards using good PMC softpoint ammo. I will say I added a J&P Enterprises adjustable gas block and they’d all eject @ 4 o’clock, & they would all fit into a 2’ wide barrel about 6’ away. Thankfully it also loves & digest Golden Tiger & even cheap Wolf WPA bulk ammo.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast