Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62 x 39 Build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressingonward View Post
    Nice looking build. Mine is pretty similar (Dez 18" HBAR, RCA bcg, aero upper and lower). Need to put a scope on it and see what it'll do at 100 yards. Shoots about 3 MOA with iron sights at 50, but guessing the rifle can do better.
    I was a tad uncertain about the DEZ barrel only for lack of info going into the build. But I really like the DEZ barrel and RCA BCG. Sounds like our uppers are almost identical. I really need to get some good ammo and put it through this thing. I am pretty sure this is an MOA gun or better. But either way my only criteria was for it to be more accurate then an AK so I think we're good lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    FWIW I built an AR -39 mm upper using an 18” mid length ARD barrel, and it has proven to be sub MOA at 200-yards using good PMC softpoint ammo. I will say I added a J&P Enterprises adjustable gas block and they’d all eject @ 4 o’clock, & they would all fit into a 2’ wide barrel about 6’ away. Thankfully it also loves & digest Golden Tiger & even cheap Wolf WPA bulk ammo.
    Gas port on this barrel seems to be spot on. Its carbine length and port size was .098 IIRC? So on the large side. But it ejects nicely (right at 3:00) and the recoil impulse isn't too bad so I am going to leave it alone. MOA at 200 is awesome. The more I shoot this thing the more I love this round. I shot that 10 round ragged hole using Wolf so I have high hopes for when I break out the nicer ammo.

Feedback Score
    Let me know if you find a good source for quality ammo...I've got some brass case PPU that does slightly better than the steel case, but haven't been able to find any precision 7.62x39 ammo anywhere. Haven't looked recently though to be honest...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    The more I shoot this thing the more I love this round.
    Me too! So much MORE FUN than a 22/5.56, haha! I call it the “308 Win Short”!

Quote Originally Posted by Pressingonward View Post
    … haven't been able to find any precision 7.62x39 ammo anywhere ...
    And I doubt you ever will!

While the AR platform certainly helps deliver or exploit whatever inherit accuracy is available/capable from a good –39mm cartridge, me thinks that the words ‘precision’ and ‘7.62-39mm’ are mutually exclusive, lol!

Besides, remember the famous Russian axiom, the epitome of the AK & its rounds … “Quantity has a quality all its own!”
    Last edited by Lefty223; 07-23-21 at 12:02.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    I think the most you can hope for when discussing "precision" 7.62 ammo is that it not be steel cased lol. And lets be honest here. Part of the reason you build a .39 is because of cheap ammo. I'd still love this thing if it was a 4 MOA gun. Maybe just not quite as much.......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    I think the most you can hope for when discussing "precision" 7.62 ammo is that it not be steel cased lol. And lets be honest here. Part of the reason you build a .39 is because of cheap ammo. I'd still love this thing if it was a 4 MOA gun. Maybe just not quite as much.......
    Not when you load your own ammo using quality bullets...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Not when you load your own ammo using quality bullets...
    Of course but that pretty much holds true for most any caliber. Talking commercially available ammo here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    And I doubt you ever will! !”
    About that, it's called "Lapua" and it's from Finnland.

They take their 7.62x39 accuracy seriously.

TED

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    About that, it's called "Lapua" and it's from Finnland.

They take their 7.62x39 accuracy seriously.

TED
    Can't find any for sale stateside. But I did read the specs on the Lapua web site. I would love to get my hands on a few boxes to try it out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    here is mine, aero lower and bca side charging upper. runs like a top and accuracy is good. I did a spray job on the mags and cerakoted the rest
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast