Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do you zero all your 5.56 weapons for one specific round?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I can name one bullet in the 55gr range that has good performance by modern standards and thats the 50gr or 55gr TSX and the 70gr TSX still does better.
    Gold Dot 55 grain is not good?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Gold Dot 55 grain is not good?
    It doesnt do so well against auto glass so I never really considered it over the 62/64gr and 75gr.

Supposedly it only exists to feed those agencies who inherited M16A1s.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-22-21 at 01:52.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Guatemalan M193. (It is my older stuff) I have 55 grain gold dot for my general purpose load for my first 5000 rounds.

my Mk12 is sighted in with 75 grain frontier because I got a few 100's a few years ago.

My 10.5 Lwrci just to give Markem a headache is.....62 grain PMC M855.

My 11.5 Knights is 62 grain PMC M855.

Feedback Score
    Nope.

My SBR is zeroed for the IMI 77 Grain SMK OTM LR MOD-1.
    That's what I'll be starting off with if/when the balloon goes up.
    I have twice the 193 in my stash for later, but it's not really set up to be a precision weapon.

My 18" Larue Stealth 2.0, however, is capable of great precision, and I zeroed it with the Hornady 75 gr TAP it likes.

In the end, all ammo is "close enough for government work" as we used to say.
    I use a 50 yd zero, and it's COM shots for everyone. Especially at the distances I'll likely see.
    I could pick either, with any ammo, and service any target in need within my AO should things come to that.
    I'm not too worried about changing over when one type has been exhausted.

If I really want to be precise I'll grab a bolt gun, and relax.
    ARs are (to me) for fast dirty work.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 06-22-21 at 07:59.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Nope.

In the end, all ammo is "close enough for government work" as we used to say.
    I use a 50 yd zero, and it's COM shots for everyone. Especially at the distances I'll likely see.
    I could pick either, with any ammo, and service any target in need within my AO should things come to that.
    I'm not too worried about changing over when one type has been exhausted.

If I really want to be precise I'll grab a bolt gun, and relax.
    ARs are (to me) for fast dirty work.
    Save for my SPR, this.

GREAT thing about getting old; being "on paper" is as big a celebration as bullseyes USED to be.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Hell I'd zero that one with the 77gr IMI round. It'll get even better terminal performance at range out of the 20" barrel.

Not being critical at all, but I am slightly surprised by the number of M4C folks who zero for either a 75gr or a 77gr load. The IMI Razor is my second go-to ammo, after the Mk318. I have as much of it as I do of the Mk318. My only deciding factor was what level of penetration should I expect to need in a "SHTF" or home-defense scenario? I calculated that the Mk318 had a decent mix of barrier penetration and good terminal ballistics. Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack into an ammo discussion.
    The more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward just zeroing the ACOG on the new 20" with the IMI 77. It looks fairly decent on the ballistic calculator, but I'll have to play with it a bit on the range when the rifle is done. I don't have good velocity data for that load in a 20" so my calculator results so far are a swag at best.

I wish I had a stash of mk318, but I somehow managed to miss the boat on that round when it was available in the past. I have a few hundred rounds of 5.56 FBIT3 loaded in mags that can fill in the "barrier blind" role if needed. If mk318 is ever available again for non-ridiculous prices, I'm gonna definitely grab some. Same goes for 855A1.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    All of my 5.56 guns are zeroed to my varmint load, because it is what I shoot the most of. The POI shift between that load (60gr Nosler Ballistic Tip) and my stash of 64gr Nosler BSBs and 62gr Gold Dots is negligible out to 300.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I zero with our 77 grain load that is 77SMK, TMK, Nosler. I'm not shooting anybody at 100 yards ( I hope) so all should be close enough for a CQB sitch. Even my 69 grain or 62 Gold dots should be close enough. An inch or two in the chest is GTG.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345