Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you zero all your 5.56 weapons for one specific round?

Feedback Score

Do you zero all your 5.56 weapons for one specific round?

Guess it could be any 5.56 piece, not just AR's, but in my case it is AR's. I zero them all with Mk318 SOST. I'll use M855 to get it as close as I can then finish off the fine tuning with Mk318. That is not the only round I have in bulk but I figure that is the one I would load mags with first if it came to that. This is regardless of 14.5", 16", or 20" barrel lengths. I figure if I ran out of Mk318 I could re-zero what I was shooting with the next item in line.

How about you guys? Do you have "designated purpose" 5.56 weapons you zero and have a specific round allotted for, i.e. maybe a DMR piece that you use with 77gr (or similar) and something else for other guns? Do you choose the round by barrel length?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Do you zero all your 5.56 weapons for one specific round?

Yep. Mostly 77gr TMK and it’s marked on the stock, regardless of what particular round it is zeroed with.

I load a number of different weight bullets and have quite a few rifles and got tired of going to the range not knowing how I zeroed.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 06-15-21 at 17:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Yep. 77gr TMK and it’s marked on the stock.
    Good idea, hadn't thought of that since I use one round but if I did vary a piece of tape with that info on it is a prudent call.

I don't have the TMK but I do have a stock of 77gr IMI Razor.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Speer Gold Dot 75 gr is what I zero for. That being said, I will chrono and see where other ammo prints in relation to that zero, and record it in a spreadsheet.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Speer Gold Dot 75 gr is what I zero for. That being said, I will chrono and see where other ammo prints in relation to that zero, and record it in a spreadsheet.
    That's a good idea.

I zero almost all of mine with 75gr AE as I've been very happy with it for a GP round. The exception is my dedicated HD gun which is zeroed for 75gr Gold Dot. I have MK262 on hand but not enough to make my primary round.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My do-it-all GP carbine has an LPVO with a BDC designed around 62 gr. green tip, so that makes it a pretty good move for me. I feed my SPR a number of different heavier bullets, but I can adjust from a baseline of 75 gr. .223 to whatever I want to try out.

Feedback Score
    Precision ARs and serious use guns with IMI 77 gr and most everything else IMI 55 gr.
    It is widely available and well enough made that I think IMI has represented the cross between performance and value.
    These days I’m not really buying.

I stick a notecard in an ID holder with date, load, the range, and the actual group from the target. I also use the note to write the date of battery change if applicable. It has a rubber band for the barrel or optic and goes in storage with that data .
    Last edited by Rmorris; 06-15-21 at 22:48. Reason: Clarify

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yes. CBC Magtech 77gr, two mags worth, which are in the case with the rifle. I keep 77gr loaded in mags. The 62gr FMJ CBC stuff I have on hand is for practice and not worth fussing with the zero.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes. "Load#1", 62gr FMJ over 24.4gr H335, regardless of purpose or barrel length.

But truth betold, all the loads we use (which include 55gr SP, 75gr BTHP, 77gr SMK) are still close enough to that same POI at 0-200 meters, ain't worth splitting hairs over.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I z with 68/69 gr 5.56 OTM, since thats what I shoot on KD ranges and also a favorite match. That gets me close enough with Barnes 70gr (critters), Fusion 62gr MSR (barrier blind), and my 62gr FMJ (practice) loads, which usually end up somewhere between Fusion MSR and M855 in velocity.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast