Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you zero all your 5.56 weapons for one specific round?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Like most of the others who replied, I currently have all my 5.56 ARs zeroed for the IMI 77gr SMK load at 100 yds.

My training / range ammo is mostly some flavor of M193, but the deltas between that and the SMK don't seem to be that big of a deal for what I'm doing.

I'm working on a 20" rifle build at the moment that will wear a TA11H. I think he'll be an exception to the above and get zero'd with M193. Still thinking about it, though...
    I zero with IMI 77gr. The best part about doing that is you can still shoot steel out to 400 and make hits using M193. I've confirmed this on a 14.5, 16, and 20 inch barrels.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    I zero with IMI 77gr. The best part about doing that is you can still shoot steel out to 400 and make hits using M193. I've confirmed this on a 14.5, 16, and 20 inch barrels.

You have a TA11H zeroed with IMI 77gr? If so, that's definitely interesting info! The new 20" I'm looking at will be a simple general purpose rifle, so I doubt I'd ever shoot it much past 400 to 500 yards anyway.

I'll have to play with the trajectories some in Strelok...

Feedback Score
    You have a TA11H zeroed with IMI 77gr? If so, that's definitely interesting info! The new 20" I'm looking at will be a simple general purpose rifle, so I doubt I'd ever shoot it much past 400 to 500 yards anyway.

I'll have to play with the trajectories some in Strelok...
    I have a TA-31F on the 20" and it's zeroed for the Razorcore

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Gotcha...Thanks for the intel!

Feedback Score
    Like most of the others who replied, I currently have all my 5.56 ARs zeroed for the IMI 77gr SMK load at 100 yds.

My training / range ammo is mostly some flavor of M193, but the deltas between that and the SMK don't seem to be that big of a deal for what I'm doing.

I'm working on a 20" rifle build at the moment that will wear a TA11H. I think he'll be an exception to the above and get zero'd with M193. Still thinking about it, though...
    Hell I'd zero that one with the 77gr IMI round. It'll get even better terminal performance at range out of the 20" barrel.

Not being critical at all, but I am slightly surprised by the number of M4C folks who zero for either a 75gr or a 77gr load. The IMI Razor is my second go-to ammo, after the Mk318. I have as much of it as I do of the Mk318. My only deciding factor was what level of penetration should I expect to need in a "SHTF" or home-defense scenario? I calculated that the Mk318 had a decent mix of barrier penetration and good terminal ballistics. Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack into an ammo discussion.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Do you zero all your 5.56 weapons for one specific round?

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    ….
    My only deciding factor was what level of penetration should I expect to need in a "SHTF" or home-defense scenario?
    ….
    That’s a good point.
    Last edited by 202; 06-21-21 at 19:05.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not being critical at all, but I am slightly surprised by the number of M4C folks who zero for either a 75gr or a 77gr load. The IMI Razor is my second go-to ammo, after the Mk318. I have as much of it as I do of the Mk318. My only deciding factor was what level of penetration should I expect to need in a "SHTF" or home-defense scenario? I calculated that the Mk318 had a decent mix of barrier penetration and good terminal ballistics. Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack into an ammo discussion.
    Why is that surprising? Some of the best terminally performing rounds are in the 75/77gr range. I can name one bullet in the 55gr range that has good performance by modern standards and thats the 50gr or 55gr TSX and the 70gr TSX still does better.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 06-21-21 at 19:28.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, that makes sense, RE: 75/77gr range.

Mine are zero'd with an mk262 clone or Fusion.

Feedback Score
    My zero's depend on how I'm going to be shooting and at what distance. Around my area, I will be lucky to get over a 150 yard shot, maybe longer if shooting down a electric or pipeline ROW. Most of my shots will be under 100, 50-75 more likely. I have my AR zeroed at 50 yrds with 55gr. With that zero, bullet weight up to 77gr doesn't have that big POI difference. I mostly shoot 55 and 62 gr and POI is negligible, have only fired few of my BIL's 77gr when we were all down at the range together. Can't remember how far it was off, but not enough to make a difference. I shoot hogs all the time here, brush is thick, so no long distance shots.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Not being critical at all, but I am slightly surprised by the number of M4C folks who zero for either a 75gr or a 77gr load.
    For me it came down to what accurate, well made (sealed primers, crimped etc) ammo I could get in quantity.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast